The old cassette tape

The old cassette tape

A Story by Ashley.M.E
"

My try at a creepy pasta styled story.

"
Before I start I want to give some background about myself, I am a 20 year old female, born in 1994. I am a wana be voice actress and when I was younger obsessed with my own voice and singing, although I will admit that my singing wasn't the greatest. 
When I was a small child I wanted to be an actor, I liked entertaining, and a lot of things have made me less motivated to go into a physical acting carrier. Although I must say I always had enjoyed recording myself, despite not getting a proper microphone until I was 14-15 years old.
One thing that I was never short of were old reusable  cassettes. You know, those old things that you popped into a radio and could record on. My mother had started buying them for me when I accidentally pressed record instead of play and had basically erased a whole mix tape that she had created for herself.
My memory is a little fuzzy, and I have a large issue with remembering my childhood, which is something that disturbs me as I seem to forget some relatively important things that had happened to me when I was younger. I do know I found this interesting  cassette tape upstairs, which at the time was either my parents room, or mine and my younger sister's.
Our attic was set up in a strange way. You head of the stairs and would quickly have to turn right before hitting a wall. There was always a huge line of boxes on either side of the somewhat narrow section that lead to a large section big enough for a bed and dresser, than a wall that comes out and stops right before connecting with the other section of the wall. Basically like a break, like trying to make the attic into two rooms but not finishing it off with a door.
This section was my room at one point, but I do not recall when this was. Oddly enough I was never afraid of the attic, since it was where my parents slept when I was younger. Ironically, I would rather climb up those dark stairs to my parents room to wake my mother to take me to the bathroom (across the hall from my room) or to get me something from the kitchen (a door I pass on the way up the stairs).
This is way off topic, but I fear that maybe. Maybe I should of feared the attic, or at least something in it. Some bad things had happened in that house; a tree hitting our house and almost killing my little brother, who was ironically sleeping in the attic. Or a burgler almost breaking into our house; only stopping because I had woke my mother up to get me something to eat, then send her back in to get me something to drink....
Again off topic. At some point in my 20 years I found a cassette tape, that could be recorded over. It was blank no wording on the tiny little white section that was placed on it. Instead of just recording over it I had decided to play it. I always enjoyed listening to the old songs I found on them, and if this one happened to be used I tried to not repeat the mistake of recording over something my mother or father may want to listen to in the future.
A female voice was on the tape, just singing a song. Her voice was very pleasant and the song unknown to me. There was no music and it seemed as though it had been recorded the same way as I usually record, just by pressing the button and singing away. Needless to say I didn't record over the tape and I played it on occasion.
Then one day I started to notice things. The tape would skip, taking pauses in the song. I just assumed I accidentally hit the record button and that it was my own lose as now I would never hear the whole song again.
I still played the tape though, I knew the missing words and I would sing along in the attic with the radio on the ground in front of me. I noticed the more I played it the more the sound seemed to vanish as if it was slowly being recorded over.
The last day I played the tape is something I will never forget. I sat there like usual and then right in a verse that had never been touch before, a deep male voice seemed to muffle through. My heart had skipped a beat and as a young child I always assumed it was my older brother, but it was far too deep, too demonic. I couldn't figure out what the voice was saying and so I had rewind the tape several times listening to it trying to fool myself into believing that it was my dad or my older brother.
The more I played that section the easier the words seemed to come through, "she's going to die."
I don't know what happened to that tape, I don't think I threw it away, I just kept it with the rest, near the back. I no longer listen to cassettes and maybe I still have that random tape, but I still don't know how to feel. As a child I tried to let it go as a prank, but from who? I never knew who that lady on the tape was, why she was singing or how it got in our house. I was too young to really ask anyone without them talking about my imagination.
In the end I guess it doesn't matter what happened, I just wish I knew the song she was singing, as my memory has faded and I no longer remember the words.

© 2014 Ashley.M.E


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really nice pasta! While I can't say it's creepy for me, it does bring out the curiosity sensors and i wish I had heard it and could figure out what was really going on. i love stories like this. They make one just wonder about what is really out there, hidden behind the vale of our own understanding and vision.

A couple of typos, but nothing major. Overall, a very nice work of ink!
Thanks for sharing!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ashley.M.E

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I had just gotten a new computer, but before that I was on my sisters, which didn't have .. read more
Wolfwind

9 Years Ago

I can understand, even the best spell checker doesn't catch everything. The typos weren't that bad. .. read more
Ashley.M.E

9 Years Ago

If you mean my novel "Memories: Lost" I had someone help edit the first few chapters, plus I wrote t.. read more
Gee! that's creepy! is this a true story or a fantasy? if true, how could you lose such a cassette? what a shame!
nice story telling.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Woody

9 Years Ago

that's a pity! I would've hidden it in a safe place or shown it to my parents.
I've always bee.. read more
Ashley.M.E

9 Years Ago

I was really little, I wasn't really thinking of keeping it back then, that was in a time where I di.. read more
Woody

9 Years Ago

understood. just saying, I wish I'd found it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on March 28, 2014
Tags: creepy. horror, memory, childhood, cassette, old, tape

Author

Ashley.M.E
Ashley.M.E

OH



Writing
A shell A shell

A Poem by Ashley.M.E


Page One Page One

A Chapter by Ashley.M.E


Page Two Page Two

A Chapter by Ashley.M.E