Ghosts, chapter one

Ghosts, chapter one

A Chapter by Carmen Williams

Chapter one

This world used to be normal, until it wasn’t.  Most people still haven’t noticed the change yet,  but some have figured it out.  Humans are no longer at the top of the food chain.  

I’m one of the few who have figured it out.  People call me things like crazy, and paranoid, but that’s their loss.  I’m the kind of person who can’t help looking over their shoulder, the type of kid who keeps his distance, and the kind of boy who can’t stand being alone.  

My name is Jim, and I used to be just like you, a normal person with a normal life.  That all changed a while ago, though.  I write this because I don’t want anyone to think I’m insane.  There is reason behind all the things I do.  I hope you understand.

Anyway, let’s get to the start of the story.  A few months ago a girl joined my class.  Her name was Kate, and I was really excited.  I thought we could be friends, since she didn’t know that I was the outcast in the class yet.  

The first time I saw her, I was shocked. She was kind of short, but she also had long, blonde hair, vibrant blue eyes, and a gentle feeling. I think I had a crush on her. But then the teacher sent her to the office with a note, which was obviously so she could talk to the class without Kate hearing. She told us she was “mentally unstable”  and that we had to be careful what we do and say from now on.  I hate to say this, but that was kind of the end of my crush on her.  

I ignored her, which is something I’m not proud of.  But one stormy day, we were sitting in class, normally as ever, and she screamed.  She screamed bloody murder, and I swear, she scared the heck out of me.  She scared a lot of people in my class, and one girl was even hiding underneath her desk.  My ears were ringing, and I still trying to understand what was happening around me.  Then I looked over at where Kate’s desk was, and found her sitting there, knees pulled up to her chest, crying.

I walked over, wondering what was wrong and what caused her to scream.  I was nervous, and kept my footsteps quiet.  She didn’t seem to notice me when I walked up.  I  didn’t know what to do, so I kind of just stood there, trying to figure out what I should do.  I could hear her crying, but underneath her sobs, I could hear her saying, “No!  Please, no!!!  What did I do to deserve this!?!?  No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I don’t remember what was going through my head when this happened, but I decided that I had to do something.  I hesitated for a moment, but then lightly put my hand on her shoulder.  She jerked back, and then looked up at me.  “Are you alright?” I asked.  She didn’t say anything, just nodded and looked down again.  I was unsure if  I should have left then, or said something, so I stood there awkwardly, trying to find out what I should do.  But that's me for you, trying to play hero, but ending up looking stupid.

After standing there for about a minute, I said, “Why, um, why did you scream?” She glanced around her, like she was afraid someone might be eavesdropping, then said softly, “It’s here.  It was in the window, it, it had a knife.”  

I try to look calm, like this is something I have heard a lot.  And also, not give her that look that said, get away from me, syco!  I thought I did pretty good at this, but she looked at me and then gave me a glare that could kill.  

I remember my face burning red hot after that, then she said, “Just forget it, jerk.”  Then she looked away again, and I could tell that this attempt of a conversation was over.  

I turned away, about to leave her alone, but then the teacher came up.  She didn’t say anything to me, but I decided to listen in on her conversation with Kate.  

“Are you alright?”  “I’m fine,” Kate lied.  The teacher raised her eyebrow, then asked, “Then why did you scream?”  Kate shifted uncomfortably in her seat.  “I thought I saw something, but I didn’t.  Nothing was there.  Can you leave me alone now?”  The teacher sighed, “Fine, but only after you go to the nurse with Jim, since he decided to listen in.”

Shoot! I thought, and turned to face them.  Then I froze, afraid to turn back.  In the corner of my eye, I had seen it.  It was flouting outside of the window, hands and pale face pressed against the glass.  In one hand, it held a knife, dripping blood.  I  had only seen it for a moment, but what I had seen terrified me.  

“Jim?  Jim, Hello?” I jumped, then realized that it was just the teacher.  “Oh, sorry.  What were you saying?”   “Jim, please take Kate to the nurse,” She said.  I nodded, to deep in thought to respond.  

“That’s alright, I’m fine.  I don’t need to see the nurse!” Kate said quickly, obviously trying to stay away from me.  At least, I thought it was obvious.  “It’s alright, Kate.  The nurse is just going to check on you, then you can come right back.”

Kate forced a smile and said, “You’re right.  I don’t know why I was nervous.  Lets go, Jim.”  I held back a sigh and followed her out of the classroom.  

The halls were empty, and there weren’t any teachers in sight.  I reached out and grabbed Kate by the arm.  She spun around to face me.  “What do you think you’re doing?!” she hissed, trying to pull away.  “What was that THING?!” I whispered urgently.  “What thing?  Let go off me!”  she said, jerking back her arm.  “The THING.  In the window, with the knife.”  “Oh, I’m sorry.  I thought that that conversation was over when you concluded that I was crazy back in the classroom, Jimmy,” she snapped at me.  “Don’t call me Jimmy!!” I said, my face turning red.  “Then LET GO OF ME!” she said swinging her arm out of my grasp and punched me in the gut.  

That had really hurt. Kate does NOT hit like a girl. She turned and started walking away. I panicked a little, and blurted out, "I saw it." Then she froze.

"You're kidding," she said. I hesitated, then said, "No, I'm not." She spun around and stared into my eyes, like if she looked long enough she could find the answer

We only stood in the hall like this for a few seconds, but it felt like a lot longer. I remember feeling my face grow hot, and I quickly looked away, searching for anything else to look at.

And I did find something else, but I really wish I hadn't. In the window behind Kate, the, err, thing was there. I could see it in more detail now. The torn cloak, the blood soaked hands, the knife, gleaming scarlet red. The thing that I couldn't draw my attention away from, though, were it's empty eye sockets.

I just couldn't look away, for fear of moving wasn't paying attention. Even without it's eyes, I could feel it watching. I stared right at it, unable to look away. I completely forgot that Kate was still there. I don't remember hearing her saying my name, and I didn't even notice when she waved a hand in front of my face.

I didn't see her, but she later told me that she turned to see what I was looking at, and she saw it. She looked directly at where the eyes were supposed to be. I remember it turning away from me, and looking at her. Then it screamed and lunged through the glass at Kate.



© 2018 Carmen Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on January 20, 2018
Last Updated on January 20, 2018


Author

Carmen Williams
Carmen Williams

OH



About
Hi! I'm Carmen. So I started writing on this website about two years ago, and I've never been too involved here. Writing is one of my creative outlets. I'd greatly appreciate if you read and commen.. more..

Writing