Dishes

Dishes

A Story by Hosimone
"

Just a short scene.

"

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~


“Liz!” yells a voice from downstairs. Sighing, I peel my covers away and get up. Keeping my eyes closed, I lift myself onto the edge of my bed and stay there a moment longer, holding onto the last fading bits of my daydream. When they finally dissolve into my imagination, I open my eyelids and walk down the stairs to my mom.


“Yes?” I call about half way down. Pausing a moment, I wait for a reply. When none came, I continued and walked into the kitchen. As usual, my mom was cooking in her favorite apron. I always tell her to it’s time for a new one; the green cloth is fraying around the seams and the pockets are practically non-existent.


“Yes?” I ask again.


“Would you mind doing the dishes?” she asked, looking over at the overflowing sink.


“Sure,” I said unenthusiastically, and walk over to the sink. In the metal basin, pots and pans were covering all the utensils that hid from sight, mocking me silently. I glare back at them. After I cleared the dishes out, I wait for the water to heat up; lyrics to random songs flowing into my head. Singing along to them quietly, I squeeze the dish soap into the running water, watching a white cloud form. Playing with the growing mass of bubbles, I grab the sponge and start washing.


~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

© 2017 Hosimone


Author's Note

Hosimone
I'm focusing on the descriptive writing here. I love writing short scenes and I want to know how to make them better. What could I add to it that will give it more "umph" without making it too long?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would suggest you shy away from common words and similes. Also, a good description will play with all the senses, seen and unseen. Look at a story from a thousand point of views. Lovely topic though.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Added on June 12, 2017
Last Updated on June 17, 2017

Author

Hosimone
Hosimone

FL



About
Previously on here as 50centdolly. I am not on as much as I used to be, but I have a few pieces that I have recently written down so they will make their way on my profile quite soon. more..

Writing
80s Synth 80s Synth

A Story by Hosimone


Darkness Darkness

A Story by Hosimone


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Hosimone