Ramblings of a Reading Woman

Ramblings of a Reading Woman

A Story by AR Hogue
"

This literacy narrative was the first assignment in my writing class this semester.

"

The love for reading instilled in me predates my memory. Reading was always an important part of my upbringing and I’ve continued that tradition with my own four children. Some of my favorite memories growing up were of trips to the tiny local library with my mother who also loved (and still loves) to read. The little book bags filled with cassette tapes and read-along books were an adventure waiting to be had and I loved bringing them home. My father rarely read to me and he doesn’t share my love of reading, but he sang to me and started my love for music that lives on today. Although much different from writings, I find music to be a lovely source of storytelling that I’ve also passed on to my boys.
 

In elementary school, the rewards for reading were triple fold: the joy of reading itself, praise from teachers and other adults, and best of all, the Pizza Hut rewards program. I have no idea how many personal pan pizzas with pepperoni and extra cheese I consumed in my childhood thanks to reading. Maybe not the healthiest choice, but a great motivator! Love for cheesy pizza aside, enjoying the escape into infinite alternate universes was a wonderful part of my childhood and that enjoyment made its way into my adult life. In recent years I’ve switched to predominately non-fiction works, but from grade school into adulthood, escaping the pressures of real life into so many literary works proved to be quite therapeutic. I remember literally walking through the halls of my high school with a book in my face, unable to put it down during the short walk from one class to the next. I guess that was one way to avoid the high school drama and social pressures that I loathed.
 

Often that book stuffed in my face was one written by Stephen King, who has made up the bulk of my leisure reading since adolescence. I enjoy getting lost in the world he so beautifully creates while being swept up in the mystery and darkness that follows. His writings are what started my now extensive book collection that is displayed in my living room and scattered among every other room of my home. Half of that book collection now belongs to my children as I hope to pass on my love for reading by reading to them often and providing books that speak to their interests. We make frequent trips to the library where they enjoy finding their own books and movies, creating art, and playing educational games on the library computers. There is just nothing better than children, especially a teenager, asking to go the library.


           Aside from reading for fun, reading and researching have become fundamental parts of my parenting style. I find it ludicrous that public schools make habit of teaching children fairy tales (think Christopher Columbus) as opposed to our true history. The whitewashing of our history and present circumstance equally appalls me. It is for these reasons that I research, “un-teach,” and “re-teach” my children on these topics. As a family, we spend time reading both fiction and non-fiction on various topics to learn more about them. Often, fiction writings hold their attention and spark great conversations that lead to deeper understandings of a situation. It is a rewarding practice that promotes family bonding and instills the seeds of some of my values in my children. That’s not to say the boys are necessarily appreciative of the extra work that comes along with learning about a topic outside of school, but they get excited when learning something contrary to what school has taught them. They tend to look at it as though they’re in on this big adult secret and take pleasure in pointing out these truths to their friends. It’s undecided if their enthusiastic sharing is particularly great news, as not everyone believes knowledge is power, especially when compared to the bliss of ignorance!
 

Storytelling through music has made its way into my parenting techniques as well. I enjoy sharing with my children music they might be interested in and telling them something they don’t know about the singer, the origins of the song, or any other fact I’ve picked up. For instance, we’ve listened to and talked about The Beatles and some of their tracks when played backwards. I’ve taught them about the dearly departed George Michael and the fearlessness that was the second half of his music career. I continue to introduce them to music that expresses feminism and equality such as “Castle” by Halsey or “Same Love” my Macklemore. It is of utmost importance to me that I teach my children about the struggles minorities and underprivileged folks are going and have gone through.
 

The beauty of reading has significantly changed for me since my journey began. From listening to nursery rhymes, to reading for fun, to high school distractions, and now empowerment through knowledge, it has been a wonderful growing experience. Reading is something I am proud and excited to pass on to my children and it continues to bring happiness to my family in a multitude of ways. Basically, my point is: I’m so glad for Pizza Hut rewards!

© 2017 AR Hogue


Author's Note

AR Hogue
I would appreciate any feedback that can help me grow as a writer!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 23, 2017
Last Updated on February 23, 2017
Tags: literacy narrative, reading

Author

AR Hogue
AR Hogue

KY



About
I am GREAT at writing emails to the teachers, principals, and counselors of my children's schools. I am new, however, to any other form of writing. In taking a writing course this semester, I've found.. more..

Writing
Malcolm X Malcolm X

A Story by AR Hogue