Malcolm X

Malcolm X

A Story by AR Hogue
"

This writing is a critique of Malcolm X, the 1992 movie.

"
          Malcolm X, starring Denzel Washington and Angela Bassett, depicts the life of Malcolm Little who was later to be known as Malcolm X, “X” representing his stolen ancestry and unknown family name. The movie stretches on for nearly three and a half hours, but doesn’t feel like it is dragging on or including any insignificant moments that would have been better left out. The viewer is introduced to Malcolm as he sits in a barber’s chair receiving his first conk (kinky hair that has been chemically straightened.) Bizarre flashbacks take the audience on a confusing trip between his childhood and the present, where he is finding his place in the Harlem hustler life and is known by the locals as “Red.” In his pursuit of money and good times, Malcolm begins to lose himself to addiction and the fast life soon lands him behind bars with a sentence of eight to ten years. It is during his incarceration that Malcolm X meets the man who will introduce him to Islam and start the course for the rest of his life. Upon his release, Malcolm quickly rises up to become the public spokesman and figurehead of Elijah Muhammad’s American Muslims. Jealousy, corruption, and hypocrisy soon tear Malcolm and his Muslim brothers apart. The viewer follows him on this journey until his unfortunate and horrific assassination in front of his wife, children, and friends.
 
           The depiction of Malcolm’s life in Malcolm X was wildly entertaining with great musical accompaniment and imagery. Several scenes of actual footage were included at the end of the film and throughout. These real scenes helped to drive home the fact that the viewer is witnessing not some abstract concept or fantasy, but the true events of one man’s lived experiences. Malcolm becomes a neighbor, a friend, and a father, as opposed to a story half told through American history’s majority white perspective. The film leaves audiences with a better understanding of who Malcolm truly was and what he strove to do with his life. Malcolm X told Malcolm’s story dramatically and beautifully while maintaining accuracy, save for a few details.
 
          Spike Lee’s Malcolm X was very faithful to The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told by Alex Haley. The only difference that truly stood out was the introduction of Islam to Malcolm while he was incarcerated. In truth, Malcolm’s brothers wrote to him about Allah and prepared him to hear the message that they would later bring to him during their visits with Malcolm while he was still inside. Reginald, Malcolm’s youngest brother, got the conversation started and is the one who truly introduced Malcolm to the Muslim faith. It was probably easier from a storytelling perspective to introduce Malcolm to Islam through an already established character (Baines), but it did seem odd to do so nonetheless. Another less important difference was the depiction of Malcolm’s arrest. The true story of his arrest in a jewelry repair shop seemed to be much more interesting than the movie represented when it combined his arrest with another moment that could’ve otherwise provided a bit of comedic relief. Malcolm was in the middle of processing his conk when he realized there was no running water and had to dip his head in the toilet to stop the burning. It was after his toilet dunk that Malcolm and Shorty were arrested in the movie. These events in reality were separated by a significant amount of time. (Haley)
 
          Historical accuracy aside, Denzel Washington’s performance was memorable and fantastic (as per usual). He was capable of making the audience forget that he was Denzel and instead he became Malcolm. He portrayed young Malcolm’s eagerness and cool demeanor just as convincingly as he portrayed adult Malcolm’s leadership and strength in the face of opposition. Malcolm X made the viewer feel happy when Malcolm was happy, afraid when he was anxious, and sad when things looked hopeless. Washington’s performance rightfully earned him Oscar and Golden Globe nominations along with several lesser-known awards, which he won (IMDb). Not to be understated is the role Angela Bassett played as Malcolm’s wife, Betty. Angela gave a commanding performance and brought a quiet strength to the role of a woman who fiercely supported her husband in all that he did.
 
            This film was an experience! The audience is taken on a journey evoking laughter, tears, and nail biting anxiety as they witness the retelling of a life that turned Malcolm Little into Malcolm X. Malcolm X shifts from very artistically driven scenes to more realistic ones depicting everyday life. The movie opens to a burning American flag flashing between footage depicting police brutality with a voice over of Malcolm speaking to an audience of Muslims. Music was perfectly timed and set the tone of each scene with ease. Zoot suits, conks, and lindy-hopping (a particular type of swing dance) were exciting, fun, and accurate to the time. Malcolm’s tears and reverence as he met “The Honorable Elijah Muhammad” for the first time were overwhelming. His blunt way of proposing to Betty was precious and made the audience feel connected to both of them. Malcolm’s murder was gut wrenching and painful to watch. Actual footage of Malcolm X, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and others at the end of the movie was a great way to bring home the message that Malcolm X was trying to convey with his life. Voice over commentary went on to tell of a Malcolm who felt a strong brotherhood with his people, and who remained peaceful throughout his life despite what anyone had to say about him inciting violence.
 
               Malcolm X was a much-needed film and will continue to be for generations to come. The performances given by the cast made the viewer feel as though they’d made a real connection to Malcolm and his teachings. This connection to Malcolm X is not something that is generally expressed in America today. He has long been portrayed as a hostile and hate filled anti-white extremist, but through the work of Malcolm X, the audience is given a chance to know Malcolm as those closest to him did. Through his audacious sharing of past mistakes and willingness to brave endless ridicule, Malcolm X led so many African Americans to find their voice and begin to join the fight against racism and oppression in a way that had not been previously achieved. American culture has a tendency to pick and choose which African Americans it will regard with esteem and which it will gloss over or leave out completely. Unfortunately, because of his refusal to denounce violence in so many words, Malcolm X is often placed in the latter categories and has come to be known as a hate preacher and a racist. Through his work in Malcolm X, director Spike Lee reminds us all what Malcolm truly stood for and that he was a man who had the courage and intelligence to not only speak his mind, but to change it when new facts presented themselves. This movie is informative and entertaining whether the viewer has endless knowledge about civil rights and the struggle to fight oppression, or just a passing knowledge that Malcolm X once existed. His was a life filled with twists, turns, and dramatic moments. Fiction could not have produced a better story than the one lived by Malcolm X, told by Alex Haley, and portrayed by Denzel Washington.


Works Cited

18 Nov. 1992, www.imdb.com/title/tt0104797/awards?ref_=tt_awd. Accessed 20 Feb. 2017.

Haley, Alex, and Malcolm X. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Reissue ed., Random House Publishing Group, 1987, pp. 1-496.

© 2017 AR Hogue


Author's Note

AR Hogue
ANY feedback I can get regarding MLA citing would be greatly appreciated. I am lost in the sea of MLA.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on February 23, 2017
Last Updated on February 23, 2017
Tags: movie, critique, Malcolm X

Author

AR Hogue
AR Hogue

KY



About
I am GREAT at writing emails to the teachers, principals, and counselors of my children's schools. I am new, however, to any other form of writing. In taking a writing course this semester, I've found.. more..

Writing