IT ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MOVIES

IT ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MOVIES

A Story by DONALD EISSLER
"

SAD LOVE AFAIR OF TWO PEOPLE WHO IN REALITY NEVER MET BUT IN SPIRT THEY WILL BE TOGETHER FOREVER

"
Just two people meeting at last for one cup of coffee.

IT ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MOVIES

Two people e mailing each other for years, but never meeting. Then one day they get a chance: older now, but still, wiser not.
The place a little: coffee shop where he frequents every day. The time agreed was set 3 days before: 10:30 on a Sunday morning. Her anticipation was running high, as memories of words, and worlds gone by did put a smile upon her now aging but beautiful face.

She enters, finds a small table for two by the window. There she can see all who enter... just maybe she can pick him out before he sees her. Should not be hard, as she will be looking for someone who has a sparkle in his blue eyes, and a warm settling smile on his lips .Ah! From those lips came many wonderful things thru out the last 5 years that they have known each other. All human emotions that were possible, the laughter, tears, sadness, loneliness and the heart breaks. Who can forget the love they shared for their animals? All long gone now, but still so vivid in their minds.

“I wonder will he still think I'm cute?" She remembers those first words that were ever spoken, though not by voice, but by a flirt she received. “Cute, cute, he thinks. He thinks I'm cute!” A grin again forms upon her face. Has it been that long? 5 years now, Oh my, she thinks. It seems just like yesterday...

The waitress brings a menu: “Would you like to order now miss?”
“Just coffee now please, someone is joining me, and should be here shortly.” She sips her coffee, Eye’s still fixed upon the entry, hoping to get a glimpse of him before he enters.

She looks at her watch: it’s now 11:00 am. The place is filling up fast with late Sunday morning patrons. Maybe he's stuck in traffic… nah!! He said he is always just a little late. Stylishly late as he liked to refer to it.

The hostess seats another couple at the adjoining table. Their idle chatter overheard: “How nice it was to have seen the grand kids again. Does not seem possible that we're about to become great grand parents? Where did the time go?”

She had picked up the small town Sunday paper before entering the coffee shop. She began reading some of the news of how the local football team lost but put up a valiant fight against a much stronger opponent and other small town gossip.

Just by chance she over heard the couple saying “How much he will be missed. He always came here everyday, sat at that same table where that lady is sitting now, and watched the people as they entered. Always seemed as if he was waiting for some one. Now this lady is sitting at that same table across from where he always sat. Almost like she is the one he was waiting for.

She feels a strange empty feeling inside. Her fingers flip through the pages and stop at the header that read Obituary. Her eyes scan down the page. There a photo of an attractive older man with a gray beard and sparkling blue eyes that punctuate the page. She reads on. We are sorry to inform all of the passing of as we knew him, Sir Donald. He passed away Friday on his way for his morning coffee testimonial. He left behind ..etc etc.. She could read no further as tears began to flow down her cheeks.

The waitress stopped by to ask if she was OK and could she get her something else. “Yes!” she said ... “Please get another cup of coffee for my friend. I believe he is here now.”

The cup was brought and filled to the brim. She also took a warmer, her cup too now also filled. She stared at the full coffee mug across from her. She lifted hers, and as she raised it to her lips these words she said ever so lovingly. “So nice to meet you Sir Donald… sorry it took so long.” She reached in her purse and took out a 10 dollar bill and left it on the table along with the newspaper still open to the last of her memories of him.

She walked slowly to the door, opened it and looked at the sky…blue with whimsical clouds in their ever changing forms. It made her mind turn to fairy tales and pixie dust that once graced the portals of their minds. As she walks away a smile crossed her face and a crystal tear drop formed in her eye. Like a rainbow that reflects all the many colors one could wish. This crystal tear drop reflected all the memories that shall remain forever in her heart.

Back at the coffee shop the waitress starts to clear the table. She picks up the ten. A good tip for serving just two cups of coffee, and one, no one showed up to drink. She picks up the ladies half empty cup and reaches for the other. Strange she thinks, “I don’t recall anyone sitting there, yet that cup too is half empty and I know it was full right to the brim when I served it” She thinks ” I have other customers to serve.”

She sticks the ten in her pocket, picks up the newspaper and is going to deposits it in the trash. She looks down and sees a photo of an older gentleman with a grey beard, sparkling blue eyes and a smile upon his face.. In his hand he holds a coffee cup. The caption said he had just passed away. She looks closer and sees that is the same cup she served to the ladies guest that never showed up… Nah !! That can’t be she thinks …

THAT ONLY HAPPENS IN THE MOVIES


DEISSLER

© 2011 DONALD EISSLER


Author's Note

DONALD EISSLER
SOMETHING DIFFERENT PLEASE HONEST OPINION

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story was very moving. Brought tears to my eyes and that means I was touched.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Smart piece! .novelists.elite.info.
.display. .uc.035
.memberID. 035
.division. IV
.division.leader. uc.035
.name. Uc
.username. ucyprian
.novels. The Clairvoyant Murder, Heaven is a bite away 1, Escape from the sacred island
.status. Reader, writer
.join date. 07-14-11 .

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your story WAS something different. A mixture of good things to read. Very contemporary in that so many people are using the e-mail to communicate. Very old-fashioned in that you round the story out with an a fantasy change in the obituary photo and very hopeful in that it depicts everyday people making an effort to reach out to each other and in this instance they almost made it. Gives one hope also that humans may still reach each other if they make the effort. Good story,
proof is in the pudding since I would read it again and again. I never tire of repeat readings when the story is goo because with each reading I receive something more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It does not pay to wait too long. A little tear filled my eyes. Good read!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Truely lovely. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is really something different and great
yoursJVL

Posted 12 Years Ago


Heavy, writing your own obituary. Well done nonetheless.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, this was beautiful and sad. "It only happens in movies". Such a great title that is true. This was a wonderful story!!
♥ Ta'Shandra

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2011
Last Updated on August 13, 2011

Author

DONALD EISSLER
DONALD EISSLER

MOORPARK, CA



About
Originally from NY but lived in Ca. for last 40 + yrs more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..