The World We Live In

The World We Live In

A Chapter by Arwen Thatcher

The government says that it’s on the verge of creating genetically engineered and conditioned people.  Soldiers who are stronger and faster and who don’t die. 

That’s a mouthful of s**t, but that’s what the government says.   

            Mom believed it.  That’s probably the first reason why I don’t believe it.  She was an obedient, impractical, biased idiot.  I am cynical genius and a practiced liar myself.  I know a lie when I see one.

            Come on, Watson.  You don’t have to be a genius to figure this one out.

            I say genetically enhanced potential soldiers and what do you think of?  If you’re and optimist, you’re a bloody idiot and you’re going to say something like Captain America, probably, and you’re half right.  But you’re still an idiot.  Captain America: enhanced super-soldier and fictional hero of World War II. Boosted troop morale and became an icon of bravery and selflessness.  Hope.  That’s all it is.  If you’re an optimist, then genetically engineered people are hope because they’ll have high moral character and just might end the misery of this world.

If you’re one of the majority of pessimists, then when I say genetically engineered, you think of government controlled cloned psychopaths.  Personally, given our current governmental situation, this is where my mind would go.  But it’s still a pile of s**t.  Because even if you are a pessimist, you can’t quite shake that sliver of optimism, even in today’s world.  Unless you’re me, of course.  You’re thinking of cloned psychopaths, goons of the government.  And you’re thinking that if whatever gods you used to believe in are still on your side, then there might just be an ordinary hero who can take down these clones.  Blow up the manufacturing plant and kill the scientist in charge.  Better yet, spare the well-intentioned scientist and help him escape to Switzerland to continue his work in the hopes that humanity will one day be ready for it.  Show mercy.  That’s what used to make a hero, right?  Anyways, after said imaginary hero returns triumphant, then the government’s kaput and a new age can begin. 

Hope.  Even stupid pessimists still have hope.

That’s what this s**t about genetic engineering is really about.  Hope to calm the dissention among the troops. 

But I know.  I’m smarter than they think.  There’s really no such thing as hope.  There’s no such thing as Switzerland or genetically engineered people.  And there’s no such things as heroes.  There’s no such thing as courage or bravery.  There’s no way out.  No one’s coming to save the day.  We’ll live in hell and die and go to hell.  That’s all there is and no one’s going to change it. 

I lie all the time, but I know and understand this one truth.  There’s no hope.  There’s despair�"and trust me, Watson, I know all about that�"but even that’s not an option anymore.  That’s how utterly hopeless this world is.  There’s no hope and no despair, just death that’s supposed to be life. 

Welcome to the world we live in.



© 2013 Arwen Thatcher


Author's Note

Arwen Thatcher
I know it's short, but it's part of the style. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on December 18, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013
Tags: dystopia, end of the world, liars, Watson


Author

Arwen Thatcher
Arwen Thatcher

NY



About
Well, I'm from the UK but I now live in the US (and thank God I've kept my accent). I've been writing since I was little and have progressed until now, I suppose. In my free time, I'm either reading.. more..

Writing