Chapter 7 - I'm so f*****g done with networking

Chapter 7 - I'm so f*****g done with networking

A Chapter by Pissed Off Professional

Tell me friends, how many of you got your jobs through connections or networking? It's okay, don't be afraid it's not like I'm going to bite you. Not at all, but can you keep your hands raise as I start up my chainsaw? 
I'm joking, please don't send the Feds on me. I'm not a serial killer looking for her next victim. I'm just a super desperate college graduate who didn't get her chance to find her foothold in her career. 
No, don't snort at me you cocky son of a b***h. I tried during my short time at my school. I went to career fairs, kept my grades up, join stupid money-sucking organizations, and kissed a*s. Yeah, I went through it every year. First, it was for internships, and then my senior year came around it was full-time positions. 
Did you known that this recruiter from Ford had the audacity to call my resume boring in my face? That b***h. I don't care how you wanted to phrase it, you call my resume bland or simple or "similar to others". You know what was bland and simple? Your f*****g outfit. Elle Woods would have b***h slap the s**t out of you if she met you. 
Sorry, I went a little overboard, but come on! As a woman, society has always told me to bottle up my emotions and anger. Of course, not all women do that. I do, unfortunately. This mini-blog/story s**t has been very liberating for my mind and soul. Yeah, I'm getting f*****g profound over here. Get f*****g use to it. 
But where was I? Ah, yes I was bitching about connections and networking. 
In a nutshell, I hate it. I don't like talking to people at all. You know how in court you are innocent until proven guilty? For all you non-law enthusiasts, this is called the Presumption of Innocence. Mine is called the "Presumption of Intelligence, which states "You are stupid until you prove to me that you are intelligent to some degree. Until then, please let's just keep civil conversation over coffee. Thanks." 
It's not in my nature to keep up niceties with people who either doesn't enjoy them or who I am never going to talk to again. I meet people like I do money, sometimes I find a nice crisp dollar bill that I may have for a bit and that I am pleased to have in my wallet, but would spend in a heartbeat for some chocolate. Other times, I am going to have a raggedy a*s dollar that's probably been in a hooker's bra or in a washing machine a couple of times. More than likely, if I had to choose between crisp bill and hooker bill for my chocolate, I'm going to use hooker bill first. This, of course, is not the case for everyone. Maybe some of you would use crisp bill because he's more convenient or because you are trying to make a good impression to the cute cashier. Then there are those Ben bills. Benjamin Franklin is so loved by everyone. Everyone wants him, but not all can have him. Sometimes, you can only have him for a few minutes, but the cash out for that bad boy is something else. Other times, you stash it for something better. Either way, Benjamins are precious and are always spent wisely. Ben connections are as well. 
Networking is money, and money is known to be the dirtiest thing out her. It corrupts the feeble and makes them weak. The dependence on a currency can make a person do crazy things. It can make a rich man put a gun in his mouth and it can make a beautiful woman take another gun in her own. It can inspire successful people to shoot for the sun, but it can also burn them if they are not careful. 
Oddly enough both networking and money have a similar effect to a poor person. It can get them off their feet and it can restart their lives. It can feed and heal, and it can give them the ability to inspire and conquer. 
As a "youngster" (this is what you old folks like to call us, right?) or a millennial, I both adore and abhor networking. For example, it could give a perfect inexperience graduate the perfect opportunity to start their career, but at the same time it takes away another person's chance to theirs. It's a doggy dog world out there, right? 
Quick question, if you saw someone find a Ben in the middle of the street with no one else in sight, except for you, what would you do? Would you stare and admire that person for finding that perfect opportunity, and seizing it? Would you be bitter the rest of the day for not being at the right time or place? Would you question the Ben recipient, trying to understand what they had that you didn't? Was it luck or fate? Maybe, it was their great hair?  
Would your feelings towards this change if Ben wasn't a one hundred bill, but a CEO or a head department manager of your future career? 
Unlike others, I believe in justice and fairness. You, on the other hand, may think differently, but hey I don't care about it or you. What, I do care is my new determination in finding a job without connections. I'm done being nice to people who really don't need anymore botox for their self-esteem. Sure, I may be writing this blog longer than I planned, but at least when I get my chance, my foothold, it would have been from my hardwork and dedication. I'm going to show these recruiters that I got what it takes, and your connections got nothing on me. 


© 2015 Pissed Off Professional


Author's Note

Pissed Off Professional
Fixing the grammar as soon as I find the room of requirement at Hogwarts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on October 27, 2015
Last Updated on October 27, 2015
Tags: Graduate, Marketing, Humor, Funny, Anger, Hope, School, Jobs, Work


Author

Pissed Off Professional
Pissed Off Professional

Dallas, TX



About
My name is Pissed Off Professional, and I'm pissed. Read or don't. I don't care, this is mostly for me to vent, and to find like-minded individuals who are as pissed as me about work or finding work.. more..

Writing