The Ice-Hockey Case

The Ice-Hockey Case

A Story by Abishai100
"

An iconic legal case ensues involving two iconic local men's ice-hockey teams involved in an in-game fight prompting a discussion about protective helmet requirements.

"
Here's one quick and fun non-heist legal case (a work of fiction!) regarding the intriguing discussion about the requirement of all men's ice-hockey players to wear protective helmets during games. This short-story references two fictional teams and any relation to any actual legal or social discusssion is purely coincidental! Thanks so much for reading (and enjoy!), 
----
====

The two local men's ice-hockey teams the Philadelphia Stompers and the New Jersey Warlocks were suddenly involved in a high-profile legal case after a terrible in-game brawl broke out, causing renewed discussions about the importance of wearing protective helmets during all ice-hockey games. In the years earlier in ice-hockey history in North America, players had the option to not wear helmets during the game, but recently, trends and customs have facilitate more stern attitudes requiring all players on the ice-rink to be in protective helmets. Well, during this local game, the Stompers and the Warlocks were involved in such a terrible fight, people started talking suddenly about the value of wearing helmets as absolutely mandatory.



STOMPERS: We didn't start the fight; we simply responded and defended ourselves!
WARLOCKS: We're not allowing Philly to paint us as rabble-rousers.



The main New Jersey Warlocks player responsible for starting the fight during the local men's ice-hockey game was Isaac Satan, and he insisted that it was the Stompers who provoked him to lash out against the Stompers. In the legal case, Satan would be one of the main people on the stand. He'd have to testify on how the violence of ice-hockey mandated more serious discussions about on-rink protective gear. Satan joked, "I feel oddly...responsible."



The main Philadelphia Stompers player involved in the Warlocks-Stompers in-game fight that prompted this symbolic and monumental legal case on the East Coast (USA) was the striker-winger Eric LaSalle. This hot athlete was a rival of Isaac Satan's and wanted to retaliate when Isaac gave him what Eric claimed was the proverbial, "evil eye" without hesitation. Now that Eric and Isaac were involved in a media-spotlighted ice-hockey in-game fight, even Sports Illustrated wanted to feature Eric in a special issue about the strange allure of fighting in ice-hockey. However, Eric now had to prepare for this legal case in the courtroom and would have to testify about protective helmets.



JUDGE: "Justice is blind, so let's refrain from allowing counselors on both sides of this Stompers-Warlocks case in entreating notions about the natural interest to fight during ice-hockey games or the natural propensity to allow fighting to occur, because this isn't just about sports but about the health and welfare of the athletes themselves."



ABBY: "I speak on behalf of Isaac Satan's New Jersey Warlocks who claim that the fight which was provoked by the Philadelphia Stompers has no bearing on any team stance on the requirement to wear helmets but rather the clear indication that the preparedness of the athletes themselves does indeed lend itself to healthy discussions about the voice of the players in determining their own customs and practices."



JAMIE: "I've been doing research, Your Honor, on this Stompers-Warlocks case in various measures and levels for several years, because my father was an ice-hockey player and didn't wear a helmet and received an in-fight related concussion, which is why I'm representing Eric LaSalle and the Philadelphia Stompers in this case, arguing that because the Stompers were incited to violence by the Warlocks and not vice-versa, they have a clearer voice regarding the presentation of athlete interests in creating their own cultures of determination and dialogue!"



Obviously, neither the Warlocks nor the Stompers, or their two iconic stars Isaac Satan and Eric LaSalle, wanted their teams to be officially or legally tied to any legal presentation about protective helmet-use during ice-hockey games. The judge listened to the counselors of both teams, Abby and Jamie, and determined how to arbitrate the decisions from the jurors regarding how the in-game fight would require symbolic voices about players determining their own interests in protective helmet-use. In many case, ice-hockey players remove their helmets when they fight during the games. However, this Warlocks-Stompers fight indicated an intriguing curiosity about protection and gear during games, which is why this legal case involved the two popular local teams. The Judge admitted this was a most trying sports case!



JURY: "We the jury decide that both the Philadelphia Stompers and the New Jersey Warlocks are in a position to serve as responsible delegates in any future customs or legal discussion about the requirement of players in ice-hockey teams to wear protective helmets during games and that such discussions would further diminish the interest and instinct to engage in in-game fights that are counter-productive to sportsmanlike behaviors in modern sports."



ABBY: Very cool case, Jamie.
JAMIE: Let's hope the media agrees!

====
"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

© 2020 Abishai100


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is interesting, though I think it would be more powerful if you started off with the fight scene itself. Show the players hitting, landing blows, and being protected by their helmets. Bring the cracked and scratched helmets into the courtroom as evidence.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
1 Review
Added on October 10, 2020
Last Updated on October 10, 2020
Tags: Legalese, Ice-Hockey, Protective Gear

Author

Abishai100
Abishai100

NJ



About
Student/Minister; Hobbies: Comic Books, Culinary Arts, Music; Religion: Catholic; Education: Dartmouth College more..

Writing