Debbie and Laurie

Debbie and Laurie

A Chapter by Adam, the Grub Street Lodger

Debbie hates Laurie.

   

  Laurie is irresponsible. She runs across every road she can if she gets the chance, if she could she would live off sweets until she was fat, sick and spotty, she says whatever is in her head to strangers without stopping to think.

     

Laurie is selfish. She yells if she doesn’t get what she wants, she takes things from other people without asking, she only says please and thank you if someone prompts her.

   

  Laurie is lazy. She never cooks dinner, she never tidies up after herself, she sleeps eight hours a night and still needs a nap in the afternoon.

     

Most of all, Debbie hates Laurie because she gets pleasure where Debbie can’t. She can stare at a dead leaf with wonder, every animal and baby is something to be excited about, she thinks she’s an artist and can draw for hours where Debbie can only watch.

    

Yet still Debbie tucks Laurie in at night and sings her songs and tells her stories, still she changes her nappies and gets her dressed, still she praises each squiggle as a masterpiece and each properly formed sentence as the epitome of eloquence. It’s worth it for the hugs.



© 2012 Adam, the Grub Street Lodger


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on June 29, 2012
Last Updated on June 29, 2012
Tags: Daniil kharms, ministories, flash fiction, incidences, envy


Author

Adam, the Grub Street Lodger
Adam, the Grub Street Lodger

London, United Kingdom



About
My novel, 'Death of a Dreamonger' is on sale now. Order your copy at www.britainsnextbestseller.co.uk A video to explain who's who and what's what (2 mins). more..

Writing