In The White Light

In The White Light

A Chapter by Admiral K
"

Indigo just wants to get a cup of coffee. We meet his friends and family.

"

“Indigo. C’mon and wake up, class is over and it’s time to go eat!”
“Geez, what a loser. I can’t believe he even passed his classes.”

“Uhh… I think he’s drooling a little?”

“Azure! Azure is coming!”

“Why… why is everyone making so much noise?”

Indigo’s eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the bright light that was the sun pouring in through the shuttered windows of the classroom. He had his arms crossed over his desk, and his head was nestled in the crook of his arms. Just a few seconds earlier, he was enjoying a snooze, since it was the last class of the day.

When his eyes finally adjusted, he was greeted by the sight of his teacher, Miss Azure. She was looking down at him with her arms crossed over her chest, her amber eyes glaring at him like daggers.

“You have some nerve by sleeping through my class Indigo…” She started, her finger tapping along her fair skinned arm. Her long, brunette hair tied neatly up in a bun, adding more to her business like outfit, indicating her status of teacher. Indigo couldn’t help but admit his teacher is indeed beautiful.

“Uh… Sorry?” Indigo answered sheepishly. He looked to his friends who usually sat at his sides. The redheaded Serena to his left just snickered and rested her chin on her hand, a grin on her face as she watched Indigo squirm. His blonde friend Owen to his right just shrugged it off, indicating he tried to help.

“Tomorrow, you’ll be staying back after class to help out, won’t you?” Azure said with a smile and in such a sweet voice, but it was dipped in malice and seeping with ill intent.

“Yes Miss Azure.” Indigo sighed. He may have gotten rest before school ended, but tomorrow he will surely be more tired than ever, with what kind of tasks she will give him.


Walking side by side, Serena, Indigo, and Owen talked about school over their walk to McD’s. “I heard there’s a new student or something joining our class.” Owen started. “Heard it from a couple of others in our class.”

“That’s not a surprise, I mean, we do go to a private school. Other rich kids just pay their way into a better future.” Serena rolled her eyes at the comment.

“And presenting Serena, one of the very few scholarship students at our school. Shall we give her a round of applause?” Indigo playfully bantered. Despite it being a joke, he did receive a punch to his shoulder, elicited by none other than Serena herself.

“Anyways Indigo! You promised to go shopping with me this weekend! You are going to go? Right?!” The redhead beamed, looking up at her black haired friend. He could only smile sheepishly and nod, albeit a bit forced, he was happy to accompany his friend.

“Can I tag along?” Owen asked, smiling back at Serena. Indigo knew very well why Owen wanted to come, he has been crushing on Serena for a while now.

“I dunno. This is Indigo’s treat for getting a good score on his test. Why not ask him?”

Indigo cursed under his breath. He knew Owen wanted to come, and at the same time, Serena expects him to say no. He steeled his resolve and sighed.

“Sorry Owen. Serena just pulls me along so I can pay for her stuff. I’m not sure I can pay for whatever you want to buy too.”

“You know… you didn’t have to step on my toe that hard… “ Indigo complained.

“You didn’t have to put it that way! E-even though it’s… true.” Serena said, each word grew heavier with guilt. “But… I mean, thanks. I guess.”

“This is just the deal we’ve settled. You tutor me, I give you a special day out at the mall. Just the two of us.” He chuckled.

The redhead and the brunette walked side by side, the sun setting as they spent the afternoon at McD’s chatting more about random things over fries and other fast food. When it was time to go home, Owen would be first to leave.

“You’re lucky I’m your tutor. You better not mess it up.” She pouted. Indigo could only smile. Between the three friends, Owen was the tallest, and Serena was the shortest, so much that Indigo could see the top of her head.

“So what’s your thoughts on the new girl joining our class? Think she’ll be super smart and super pretty and super popular?” Serena did her signature eye roll and snicker. Indigo took it that she had a bit of a complex.

“Not sure. But if she is beautiful I may have to ask her out for coffee.” Indigo stated.

“There you go again. This is why none of the girls in our class… or even school like you! You just flirt without a care, asking each and every girl if you could ‘go out for coffee.’ What does that even mean to you?!” Serena almost yelled. Indigo didn’t take it as anger, but rather concern.

“Well, I only ask out beautiful girls, the coffee shop isn’t all that far from school. So just having a seat while chatting over coffee is what I mean to do.” He smiled.

“You asked out every girl in the school.”

“Because every girl in our school is beautiful.”

Suddenly Serena’s face was red, Indigo thought she was blushing, little did he know he was very wrong. She kicked him in the leg and pouted again, walking ahead a few feet in front of him. Hurting physically, Indigo yowled in pain and crouched over to hold his leg, unaware of what could have caused such a reaction. Ahead, Serena just sighed sadly and kicked a rock out of the way of the sidewalk. “Why haven’t you asked me out for coffee… am I not beautiful…?”


Indigo awoke with a start, stretching out in his bed as he kicked the sheets off his legs. Groggily pulling his head off the pillow. “Ugh…” he groaned and picked up his phone. Checking the time it read out: Friday, 7:12. He got up and threw on his clothes. A simple blue T-shirt and jeans. After freshening up, he grabbed his phone off its stand and stuffed it into his pocket, his wallet in the other.

Downstairs, Indigo was greeted by a beautiful morning sun, and a wonderful woman. Blonde hair cascading down her back, the smell of bacon, eggs and syrup wafting through the room. The radio played a small song in the background.

“Morning Indie.” Olive smiled from the kitchen. An apron wrapped around her clothes, a pan in her hand as she prepared breakfast. “Morning Mother.” Indigo smiled. At the table, a stoic man sat. His eyes were closed and he had a cup of coffee in his hand. Every so often he would pick up the mug and sip from it. Indigo just sat opposite of him and looked down at the table.

“Indigo. How are your studies?” The man spoke. Indigo tensed at the words and searched for a response.

“It’s… going well, Ron.” He answered.

Silence.

“Here you go Indie.” Olive set a plate down in front of her son, a delicious assortment of eggs, bacon and pancakes. She moved to set another in front of her husband and sat beside him. “Indie, you can invite Serena over for breakfast some time you know, i’d love to cook for her.” She smiled.

Ron just quietly ate, as did Indigo.


“You’re so slow, hurry up already!”

“Well good morning to you too cardinal.”

“What?”

“Cardinal. A red bird.”

“Well… yeah but… ugh! Let’s just go already!”

Serena was waiting outside of Indigo’s house, standing there with her hands on her hips, her bag on her back.

“It’s not like you had to walk a long way. You’re my neighbor.” He shrugged, shouldering his bag and walking with her.

“So what happened yesterday? You kicked me.”

“Yes, because you are dumb.”

Indigo just slapped his forehead with his palm. “Either way. You look really good today.” He complimented her fashion. She looked rather nice with her white undershirt, denim jacket, and a red miniskirt. Her red hair tied up into long pigtails. “What do you mean I look good today? Are you saying I don’t always look good?!” She looked at him with furrowed brows.

“What? No! I mean yes! You always look good! You just… look more good today!” Indigo nervously spit out. He tried desperately not to get kicked again.

Serena just rolled her eyes and smiled. “We are going to the mall today aren’t we?”


Back at school, the duo met up with Owen, who, as Indigo saw, couldn’t stop gaping at Serena. “Someday Owen, she will be yours.” He chuckled.

Seated in class, Indigo was ready to nap again until Azure walked in with a new student. She had long platinum hair, let freely to flow down her back, a black hair band atop her head, she wore a simple dress with leggings. He couldn’t quite hear their conversation, but he figured this was the new girl everyone was talking about. His brown eyes met her alluring red eyes and she began to walk towards him, evading desks as she did so.

Indigo was so lost in her beauty he forgot his own name. She gave him a glance over before sitting in the chair in front of him, placing her bag over her chair. “You’re disgusting.” Serena spat at Indigo.

Once it was a free period, Indigo hopped out of his chair and made his way to the teacher packing up her papers for the class. “Azure.” He called out. She looked at him and frowned. “Miss Azure to you. What can I help you with Indigo?”

“Who’s the new girl?” His eyes practically sparkled.

“Why don’t you just ask her silly.” She stuck her tongue out at him. For a teacher, she was rather young, the youngest at 21, she still knew how to be childish.

“Well, how about we talk about her over a cup of coffee?” He smiled. Azure just giggled and shook her head. “What a weirdo.” She left to go prepare for the next class.

“I guess I can just ask…”

Back at his desk, the new girl was getting ready for her next class as well. Owen and Serena were out for the break. “Uh hey.”

She turned around to look at him, blinking a few times before replying “hey.”

“So, you wanna grab a cup of coffee?”

“What?”
“I meant… uh… what’s your name?”

“Korri.” She replied. “I just got in today.”

“Well Korri, I’m Indigo. If you need anything, we could chat over a cup of coffee.”

“I’d like that. Thank you Indigo.”

He froze. Never in his life did a girl say yes to his ‘cup of coffee’ line. Indigo just did the best he could not to freak out and sat back down. He never felt the urge to scream out so badly. “She said yes!” He whispered.


Indigo had a big grin plastered on his face as he walked with Serena, the mall ahead of them. “Wow Indigo, you look happy even though I’m probably going to clean you out.” The redhead snickered.

“I don’t care Serena, spend all you like today. Nothing can get me down! Not even Azure’s detention.” He beamed.

“Why?”

“I finally got a girl to agree to grab a cup of coffee with me!”

Her smile fell.


© 2017 Admiral K


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This Reads very similar to a short story, but for me lacks the special something that is needed in a first chapter to hook the reader. I read this through because I like books and story writers are rare on here making book writers even more so. but there was nothing that made me want to continue reading (No "Hook") and no sense of what the main plot of this book will be. you did well to start describing the characters but give us more descriptions about the main characters Or leave description (of Indigo) until the very beginning of chapter 2. Despite all this I think this has potential. you have characters that with experiences that people can on some level relate to (Weather you like the girl or not one always seems to ask a question and the guy answers with "No! I mean yes!" or something similar). one last thing. I Take it McD's is Mc Donald's? your charactors can say McD's but as the writer you have to spell the whole thing out.

Again this has potential just think about what I've said and add a little polish :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Admiral K

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read this! To be honest, it was supposed to be more of a prologue t.. read more
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

7 Years Ago

A Prologue Usually sets up the plot for us and you don't even meet the main characters in it. and le.. read more



Reviews

This Reads very similar to a short story, but for me lacks the special something that is needed in a first chapter to hook the reader. I read this through because I like books and story writers are rare on here making book writers even more so. but there was nothing that made me want to continue reading (No "Hook") and no sense of what the main plot of this book will be. you did well to start describing the characters but give us more descriptions about the main characters Or leave description (of Indigo) until the very beginning of chapter 2. Despite all this I think this has potential. you have characters that with experiences that people can on some level relate to (Weather you like the girl or not one always seems to ask a question and the guy answers with "No! I mean yes!" or something similar). one last thing. I Take it McD's is Mc Donald's? your charactors can say McD's but as the writer you have to spell the whole thing out.

Again this has potential just think about what I've said and add a little polish :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Admiral K

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read this! To be honest, it was supposed to be more of a prologue t.. read more
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

7 Years Ago

A Prologue Usually sets up the plot for us and you don't even meet the main characters in it. and le.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
1 Review
Added on February 11, 2017
Last Updated on February 26, 2017
Tags: Romance, Drama, Coffee


Author

Admiral K
Admiral K

About
Just here to share and read stories. more..

Writing
Dear, Eren Dear, Eren

A Poem by Admiral K