Prologue: The Deputy

Prologue: The Deputy

A Chapter by Advendole

I ran along the side of the courthouse. When I reached the rear, I noticed that there was an area of brush that had been recently stomped down. There was a sign hidden by over grown shrubby. The sign was faded, and I could not make out any words. I followed the trail of matted brush, until it widened into a walking path.

I could hear the footsteps of many feet up ahead. I ran faster. About a half-dozen or so farmers, rallied ahead of me. They were led by Jim. He carried his double-barrel shotgun with pride. I ran in front of them.

"Everybody - stop!" I yelled. The first day on the job, and I already sounded like a real sheriff.

Jim cocked his gun at me. "Say! You're that stranger I seen back in town. Now, Just what do you're trying to do, son - get your brains scattered all over this here trail?"

"I'm the new sheriff." I replied

"Ah!" Jim said - looking me up and down. "Another city-slickin' joker, hah? What are you gonna do - Serenade criminals to sleep with that there 'gi-tar'?"

The whole mob laughed. One man piped up from the crowd.

You're not much older than Deputy Atara - What makes you think you can do any better?" He stammered

"I think I have what it takes to control this town. I was trained by the internationally known bounty hunter Joe Futado." I tried to explain.

Jim put his shotgun down. "Well, I don't know much about bounty hunting - I just want my family to be safe."

"What did the he look like?" I asked.

"Well I didn't get a good look at him. My wife ran him out the back door with the frying pan - just as me and the boy got home." He was wearing a hood, and dark sunglasses."

"I promise you sir, that I will find this man, and make this own a safe place for all of you." I proudly exclaimed.

There was silence. then Jim reached his hand out to me.

"What is your name, Son?" He asked.

"Nishoma" I replied

"Well, Nishoma - welcome to Hayatoge!"

We shook hand, and then Jim signaled for the mob to turn around. Just as they were leaving, Jim turn and looked me in the eye.

"If you don't catch this crook." He said. "I will come down on you like a lion on it's prey! You hear me son?"

"Yes!" I nodded quickly.

Jim smiled and follow the mob back down the trail.

I felt scared but confident. I wasn't worried about the thug so much as I was about the deputy. What if he was some smart, punk kid, who won't help. I tried not to think about it. I walked deeper into the the forest. The wind blew around my face, as moved against the breeze. I couldn't help but think of that night...

I was ready to jump. My feet were just about to push off, when I heard a voice from below the window.

"What are you doing?" Said a man in a black robe.

"I'm going to escape!" I screamed.

"Why don't you just walk down the steps?"

"I don't want him to see me!" I cried out.

"He wont! Trust me - the police have the situation under control." the man said.

I decided to trust the man. I slowly unlocked the door. The steps were right around the corner. The steps creaked as I crept down them. The man was waiting was waiting for me.

"Would you mind if we go some where and talk - Maybe over some tea?" The man asked.

I had no clue who he was, but I didn't care at that point.

"Sure!" I exclaimed. "I want to get away from here. and never look back!"

"You're a real pistol, kid! You know that?" The man smiled as he let me in his foreign sports car.

I watched the "Welcome to Bella Meadows" disappear into the darkness as we drove into the night - never to return...

The trail opened up into a four-way. It looked familiar There was a wooden sign with some arrows and writing on it.

The arrow pointing back down the trail read: "Main Street Hayatoge".

The arrow pointing straght head read: "Terripin's Point, Bella Meadows".

The arrow pointing right read: "Hamlet of Raven: Municipality of Hayatoge".

Finally the arrow pointing left read: "Hayatoge Sheriff".

I turned left, and trudged through the muddy dirt trail. I heard the sound of running water. A creek sat below the cliff that the trail ran over - I knew that creek. Finally I reached the cabin. It was old and weathered - but quaint none the less. The door was locked, so I went around back.

"Hello!" I shouted. At first nobody answered.

"Yeah!" A voice from the woods answer. I young man about sixteen, approached me. He was carrying a hand full of wood.

"I'm Deputy Atara Yoshikawa How may I help you - stranger?" He said - stacking the wood in a pile.

"Hello, My name Nishoma - I'm the new sheriff." I said humbly.

A big smile came across Atara's face. "You're not like those stuff-shirts they usually send me - sit down!"

Atara led me behind the house to a fallen down log. I unloaded my 12-string and duffle bag. We sat down on the log.

"Well..." I said "...I lived in Japan - I learned ninjutsu there."

Atara's smiled grew even wider.

"I love ninjas!" He exclaimed. "Do you think you can teach me - you being the new sheriff and all - you'll be living here right?"

Atara asked so many questions that I didn't know where to start. At least he seemed excited to have me around. I opened my duffle bag. I pulled out some dark clothes.

"This - Atara - is a shinobi shozoku." I said proudly holding up the outfit.

"Wow, real ninja fatigue!"

I handed him the garb. Atara studied them.

"How about your first lesson, now!" I said spontaneously.

"Now?"

"Get up!" I said

We both stood up.

"Now bow to me." I motioned

Atara bow to me and I bowed to him.

I began to instructed. "I'm going to try to hit you in the side. Block me with your arm."

I shot a right hook to his side. He put his arm up, but my force was to much. Atar fell to the ground. I help him back up.

"Man, you got a strong punch!" He said as he recovered himself.

"Your stance is all wrong!" I exclaimed.

After a while I got his body into a srong, low, stance. We practiced until night came. By that time we were laughing. Even Atara chuckled at his mistakes.

"You almost got it - we will practice tomorrow; it's getting late." i said.

"I'm sorry!" Atara proclaimed.

"What for?" I asked

"I don't have bed ready for you." Atara said with a worried look on his face.

"Don't worry..." I said pulling a hammock out of my bag. "I got this from a friend back in Japan. I'll sleep on this. You can take my guitar in the cabin if you like."

"Sure." He said

I tied the hammock between two trees as twilight fell into the night. Atara had gone into the house. I lie on the thinking about the crazy day, that I had just lived. I had just closed my eyes, when I heard the sound of the cabin door. Atara walked over to my hammock.

"Thank you Nishoma. I know that with your help, I can make this town a wonderful place!" He handed me a copper badge. Good night, sheriff!" He said...

As you continue reading, think of Hayatoge as Gomorrah, and Terrepin's Point as Sodom. A little literary pun for you: "Hamlet of Raven".

Good luck reading! :)



© 2015 Advendole


Author's Note

Advendole
ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on July 25, 2015
Last Updated on July 25, 2015
Tags: Ninja, Kunoichi, Sherrif, Outlaw, Japan