Devolution

Devolution

A Poem by Aethereal
"

The devolution of the human species.

"
Devolution
 
Many creatures need their trees
it must be understood.
Chipmunks, birds, and honeybees
would perish but for wood.
 

Chirp,

tweet,

buzz, buzz

pollen on the fuzz.

 
Mastering sky, land, and seas,
we ditched our trees for good.
Now we live like rats and fleas
as gangsters in the hood.

 

Rat-a-tat-tat-tat,

rat-a-tat-tat-tat

bang, bang,

boom!

© 2013 Aethereal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent, entertaining poem and the subject matter is a discerning one! Far to many trees felled to fuel man's incessant demand for more and more and in many cases, leaving baron, wasting land behind!

Is conservation even having an effect, I often ask myself ?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your insightful arboreal review, Tom!
Tom

10 Years Ago

You are perennially welcome my friend!
Ricky Ticky Tavy , what a good snake killer was he.and so is Aethereal !

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your creatve review, lee! A rat-a-tat-ssssss-sss could be interpreted as a snake.
lee von cleef

10 Years Ago

Kipling !!!!!!!!
Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Yes, the snakes charmers of India come to mind.
Something like a skillful aim at target of the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your insightful review, Anika! It’s ironic that most of the violence on Earth is caused.. read more
Splendid onomatopoeia in this poem! Sometimes progress is not progress at all, is it? A poem that makes the reader think. Always a good thing! Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lydia! Some of us have evolved into monsters.
I long for simpler times and getting back to the natural way of things. I really should have been born in the frontier days. I like this poem and the sounds it brings to my ear. Good work, Aethereal. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your nostalgic review, Angi! My distant ancestors where frontiersmen, and they’d be sho.. read more
We have moved away from our original gathering selves. I listened to a scientist yesterday who said the urge to gather is still very strong, and we still do it, just not to survive. We acquire "things" we don't need while depleting our resources, habitats and the beauty that surrounds us. If the temperature increases by 3.6 degrees as they expect by 2040 the ice caps are going to melt and the world just might look like Kevin Costner's Water World. We don't think globally and we don't think in advance despite our intelligence. The end is coming but it's not coming from the heavens. It's going to come from all our aberrant behavior. This is a wonderful poem for in its simplicity you have raised the alarm on a complex problem that we better start trying to solve.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your understanding review, blue! We really don’t know how close we are to the end. If l.. read more
I like the concept of this piece. I think in many ways you are right on...societal evolution has forced us farther and farther from the roots of which we initially grew. We surround ourselves with plastic and concrete, and then dress up our yards with plants that would not be indigenous to our locations...why? Because we can. We steal from the world and we give little back to her; it is going to catch up with us one of these days. This is one of the reasons why I think art is so important...it is like the last stand of the Alamo, where we write/paint/film/dream about all of the things that are truly beautiful in this world before they are wiped away. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for this detailed review, Sarah! In spite of our intelligence we still don't get along with N.. read more
Interesting! Pithy, whimsical write. I like the use of onomatopoeia too. Makes it sound like a playful nursery rhyme. There's a lament hidden here, but it is conveyed in a very casual offhand way. That's why the poem makes one laugh, and then think. Good work! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your detailed review, Augustus! Playful poetry is the best kind.
A...made me smile this one. Playful and serious. Good poem...bobc

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aethereal

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, bobc! I happy that it made you smile.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1177 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 24, 2013
Last Updated on September 24, 2013
Tags: devolution, gansters, rats, hood, bang, bang.

Author

Aethereal
Aethereal

PA



Writing
Cloud Cloud

A Poem by Aethereal


Dream Girl Dream Girl

A Poem by Aethereal


Pixie Dust Pixie Dust

A Poem by Aethereal



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..