Pray Harder

Pray Harder

A Story by Adrian Frederick Adam
"

A man tells a story of the most devoted person he knows.

"

Are you religious - to the point of piousness?

                Well, I know someone and he’s the most pious person I ever met.

                I met him when I was doing some research on some nearby coffee shop, and he just sat down beside me. That is to say, he had nowhere else to sit and he seemed like he really wants to stay in the shop.

                He constantly smiles specifically at the check-out girl over at the counter - waving, anticipating the times that she would pan her look across the shop and finds him smiling at her; like a cheetah, pouncing, getting ready to chase its prey.

The dude was obviously into this girl.

So I asked him what he’s doing - you know, because it was kinda creepy, especially if you were the girl.

And he told me.

“Yeah, I know. But I’m really into this girl. I want to smile at her every time she puts her gaze at me. I’m hoping she’d think I’m being passionate enough that she’ll approach me and ask my name and change infos.”

And I was like, “passionate enough? So this isn’t your first time going to this shop?”

                He laughed and said, “This is actually my 4th time coming here this week”

                “This week? You mean, there’ve been other weeks?”

                And he answered, “I really like this girl -y’know?”

 

 

I couldn’t believe what I just heard, I was talking to a stalker. So, I slightly went back to my research, hoping to not indulge even more. I thought that I dug in too deep already.

                But then the dude continued.

                “I never mean to hurt her, y’know. If that’s what you’re thinking.”

                And I felt ashamed. His statement was so on point to what I was thinking that it just occurred to me how I was being inappropriately judgmental.

                Maybe he really LIKEs the check-out girl over at the counter. She does kinda look good.

                And he went on.

                “I have never been this passionate with anyone.” He claimed. “I mean, I make it to a point to schedule a time - every day - to pray to a higher power, to bless me with the love of THAT girl, the most beautiful girl I ever laid eyes on.” He continued.

                I was speechless. Confused. I didn’t know where the conversation was going. Maybe I have dug myself in too deep.

                And without missing a beat, he continued.

                “I’m hoping that if I prayed hard enough with great passion, commitment, and consistency, my prayers would be answered.”

“So, how’s that working out for you?” I can’t help myself ask.

                “It’s going great! Last time she wasn’t smiling back. Now look! I think she’s talking about me with her friends.”

And he subtly pointed his finger towards the check-out girls, who looked like they were actually talking about the dude, as they casually gaze at him while they were talking.

 

 

“Wow, praying must be really effective, huh?” I asked in amusement.

“Of course! Just pray hard, and he’ll do everything for you.” He answered, talking about his god.

And then I asked.

“What do you do if she walks towards you and asks you out?”

“That is very interesting. I ask myself that a lot - oh s**t, it’s almost 4. I have to pray.”

Then he dropped everything he was doing, bowed down, and closed his eyes.

I was amazed on how committed he was with his praying, so I joined him with his ritual -but before I could bow my head and close my eyes, the security guards approached us.

“Uh sir, may we kindly ask you to escort us outside, please "and take your things with you.”

I was shocked.

But the dude was, well - he wasn’t giving a crap. He was busy praying to his god.

“Sir, this is our last warning or we’ll have to apply force in accompanying you out.”

And again, he remained bowed down, eyes closed, and not giving a fuss about the two security guards - who looked like they beat up people to a pulp for a living - just so you guys would know how intimidating those two guards looked.

His silence must’ve meant something, because it looked like he just told the two men a bad gesture.

And they carried the dude and threw him outside the shop.

 

 

That was the last time I went and ordered coffee there.

I still see that dude, though.

He’s probably across the street, outside the coffee shop right now - waiting for the clock to hit four, to pray to his god.

 

 

 

© 2015 Adrian Frederick Adam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an interesting, amusing story that is well-written and believable. Well done. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
1 Review
Added on October 7, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015

Author

Adrian Frederick Adam
Adrian Frederick Adam

About
Author of the critically acclaimed -but yet to be published- book, 'Little did they know: Stories and other stories' more..

Writing