Today is the day

Today is the day

A Story by Adrian Frederick Adam
"

The youngest son of a normal household, goes around his family with his usual routine while trying to leave a last impression, just before he goes.

"

Satisfied with what was written on the paper, he folded it in half, opened his bed-side table’s drawer, and reached for the white paper on the farthest corner of the fixture; it was an envelope.

“This should be big enough.”

And he inserts the folded paper unto the envelope. He said to himself, “Okay, I think I’m ready,” and he gave out a huge sigh, before walking out the door.

On his way down, he found his family - busy preparing for the biggest birthday party for their dear Angelo.

“Hey! Good, you’re up already!” His mom greeted him, “Come here and help us before everyone arrives.”

                His mom was charming yet bossy. You’d get endeared by her and fear her at the same time.

                “Come now, dear. We have a lot to move, so hurry your butt down here.”

                As he expected, he’d be a fool to contest that order. In his experience, you never not follow his mom’s orders. You just don’t.

So, he followed suit.

                “Where do you want these chairs moved?” he asked.

                “Oh good! Place it ‘round that corner, dear. Then, go find your brother, I remember your father telling me he needs his help with something in the kitchen.” His mom commands.

                He would have went as soon as he finished with the chairs, but he gave his mom a huge hug, a big kiss, and said he loves her before he went.

 

Getting in the kitchen he asked, “Dad, you asked for me?” knowing that his Dad specifically asked for his older brother.

                “Where’s your brother?” asked his Father as he unscrews the covering of the largest lamp on the kitchen.

                “I don’t know. Mom sent me here, she said you needed my help.”

                “Well, I asked for your brother, he knows more on this than you do, but since it’s getting late and this needs to get done, I guess you’re good enough.”

                “okay… so what d’you want me do?” he said, sounding a bit hurt.

                “hmmm. Here take this, and unscrew all the other lamp coverings you can.” His father told him, as he handed him the last screw driver on the tool box.

                And they spent all late-morning unscrewing lamps.

             "Gotta hand it to you, son. Didn't know you'd be interested in these things," his dad claimed while he unscrews the last lamp.

               "Yeah, I don't know. Felt like doing something different today," he said, giving out an innocent laugh. "Didn't know it'd be this fun unscrewing screw-ups."

               They both laughed.

"You always know what to say, son," his dad added.

                Not wanting to let this moment pass, he said, “I love you, Dad,” and gave him a hug.

                “hmm? what’s that about?” his dad thought to himself, as he sees his younger son walk out the kitchen.

As he left the kitchen, he went straight to look for his older brother.

                He found him in his room, packing his things.

                “hey, big bro. Whatchu doin?”

                His brother laughed, then said, “I don’t wanna ruin the surprise, but…”

                His brother stopped, he seemed like he was hesitating.

                “C’mon brah! Spill!” he asked.

                So, his brother said, “well, just because I want you to hear this from me before anyone else...”

                “What is it? What is it?”

                “okay, so… Mom and Dad, bought a ticket for us to go to that resort you’ve been telling them. And they’re gonna tell us that later on the party! We’ll leave first thing tomorrow!”

                “Oh s**t! For real?!”

                “Yeah! Now don’t tell anyone I told you this, aight?”

                And he gave his big brother a big hug, before he ran into his room, “I love you, bro!”

                He added.

 

Later that day, his relatives found him hanging by his neck inside his room, with a suicide note on his bed-side table. It goes;

 

To all whom I care about,

 

I have never been much of a guy who speaks his mind. I may say the right things most of the time, but that doesn’t mean I mean what I say.

I don’t know. I’m not so sure how to go with this. I guess you could say, I’m so blinded by depression that I don’t know what seemed to be the best things to say.

I don’t know.

I’m just saying, I’ll be doing something tonight. And before that happens, I want you to remember me, like how I remember being with you.

Like, when Mom’s always doing something when I go down the stairs, and it goes without saying, she’ll have an errand for me to do, yet even with her never-ending commands, she never fails to be the most thoughtful person ever.

Or, how Dad always asks for my big brother, yet he’ll be alright settling with my help instead. As always, I get envious, but as my Father, he never fails to get me anything I wanted or needed, even when he's not asking me for anything.

And, of course for my big bro. He's always been there for me. I mean, he's like the man, I can see why he's Dad’s favorite. Can’t complain, he's mine too. He's just the best bro ever.

And for my relatives, you never fail to support me. Like my Mom, Dad, and Big bro, you guys are always there for me, ready to take a bullet for me.

But I’m so sorry I have to do this to you. I guess I'm shooting the bullet myself, so you guys wouldn't be in the trouble of taking it for me, ever.

I just believe that, this isn't where I belong.

So, this is here to say, I’ll see them again.

Good bye, for now.

Love,

Angelo

 

 

 

The next day, the headline on the papers went;

 

              SURVIVOR OF PLANE CRASH, COMMITS SUICIDE.

Angelo, 18, the lone survivor, who lost his family from last year’s horrifying plane crash, is reported to have taken his life last night, exactly a year after the tragedy.

 

© 2015 Adrian Frederick Adam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i could see a short series in this write,the main character being the young man

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG. This is so sad. It gave me chills. Very well written and profound. I am one left behind by suicide and it is a painful thing to deal with. Poor kid in the story. I feel like taking him under my wing. I really related to him.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Adrian Frederick Adam

8 Years Ago

wow, thank you for your positive feed back, although it is a bit sad, I'm so sorry for what you've d.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 10, 2015
Last Updated on November 12, 2015

Author

Adrian Frederick Adam
Adrian Frederick Adam

About
Author of the critically acclaimed -but yet to be published- book, 'Little did they know: Stories and other stories' more..

Writing