When She Falls

When She Falls

A Story by Aimee Olivera
"

A sample from the book I am writing at the moment.

"

A small girl dressed in rags of a depressing grey colour runs out across the busy street. Nobody sees her, nobody notices, especially not the driver of the foreboding black automobile that speeds around the corner. I can see it all, the crash, the screams, and the crumpled little body.  I could move, could run and pull her out of the way; maybe I would make it in time. But I am frozen, staring and watching, never moving, never even trying to save her.  In that one moment I can see what will happen, her poor mother weeping, siblings who are always cold and dressed in depressing grey just like her will cry. Her father, probably at war, will read the letter and sob. I can see her unmarked grave, her family will be too poor to afford a funeral, but that won’t make their grief any less. I turn away; I am a coward not to even try. I tell myself that maybe someone else will save her, but I know deep inside that her death will be meaningless to all the others in this busy city. That a little pauper girl dressed in rags is only a nuisance to society. I’m sure that some will even feel a morbid inner satisfaction when she falls.

         

                              

 

 

 

 

© 2014 Aimee Olivera


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this...superb narration and the feeling of the situation well expressed...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014

Author

Aimee Olivera
Aimee Olivera

Cork, Ireland



About
Never judge a book by its cover, I am 13, do not read my work with that in mind, judge me as if I were an adult. Criticism is only reasonable if you have a reason. more..

Writing