Prelude: Fireworks

Prelude: Fireworks

A Chapter by AkihiroDaikichi
"

Most of the book is a flashback until the moment right before the climax, so enjoy not knowing what's going on XD

"

Thursday, the last week of school

 

            If I could go back to the past and tell myself one thing, it would have been something like, “Hey, Akira, enjoy that summer before your first year of High School; because after that it all goes to hell.” I don’t think I could have possibly understood what I meant by it’ll all go to hell, but…

 

Sunday, the week before school starts

 

            “Thank God, I’m finished.” I let out a great sigh of relief and tossed my pen back on the table. Relaxing in my chair felt nice, so I let my head tilt back as half-thoughts and memories suddenly collided. Sumer homework: finished.

            It had taken me three days straight without breaks- except for food and sleep- but all of it was done now… at 11:00 pm; Sunday night. Being a procrastinator was not one of the qualities I was proud of, but it is what it is. Point being, I was done and it was time to officially end the summer.

            I got up and walked through the hallway. Downstairs my little sister was asleep passed out on the couch resting her head in my mom’s lap. She was such a kid despite only being two years younger than me. Mom looked up when she heard me enter the room. She whispered to Sayu- short for the word for lily- quietly, waking her up.

            I drifted to the screen door and opened it; the night air was still warm. Outside dad was waiting for us. “I’ve finished.” I said, not wanting to disturb him.

            “Heh, About time, too. Next year, you better finish sooner so we can watch the fireworks more.” This was an every-year routine for us.

            I’d never finished earlier than two days before school begins, but every year I’d promise, “Don’t worry; next year, we’ll have fireworks every night after just the first day!”

 

…God, I wish summers like that never had to end. I guess there was never any avoiding it. Tomorrow decides if there will ever be anything left of this world to call enjoyable. God, if you’re out there, please send us a miracle. Please help us.



© 2012 AkihiroDaikichi


Author's Note

AkihiroDaikichi
I forgot to mention that I'm atheist, but that will not excuse me from disrespecting other people's religions. If I overstep at any point, please yell at me so I can edit it peacefully :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 29, 2012
Last Updated on September 29, 2012
Tags: NightCore Wars Akira Takashi


Author

AkihiroDaikichi
AkihiroDaikichi

That-one-place-on-the-map-nobody-can-find, CA



About
Its been forever and a day since I've been on this site; since then I've lost my password and username, so a new page it is. The reason I've come back is to write out my first graphic novel (I will po.. more..

Writing