Shifting

Shifting

A Chapter by Akshi Only

She woke up and amidst all the hustle-bustle she tried to get ready as fast as she could, and this time she reached the office 10 minutes early, which was a milestone for her.

She was feeling happy, thinking that this chaos is only for one day, after that she will not have to struggle this much.

Only sir was there, so she found the right time to talk to him.

"Sir may I come in," Saloni asked.

"Yes Saloni, please come".

"Sir, I have confirmed with my parents about my stay at your place. I want to shift ASAP. Can I come tomorrow with my uncle to have a look at it and on Sunday I'll shift there if I find it suitable."

"Not an issue Saloni, you can come anytime. "

Everyone came. The office was going, as usual, everyone was doing their work with full energy because the weekend was coming so all had to complete their work.

Saloni showed her work to Ananya. Ananya was impressed by her efforts, with that one judgment, she was very much sure about Saloni's ability. She gave her new cases.

In the middle of work, Saloni noticed Dhruv's absence.

She asked Ananya, "Yar where is Dhruv. Is he on leave today?"

"No no, he is out of town for 3-4 days due to office work "Ananya replied.

"Oh wow, where, like which place, what type of work, we have clients from other states also?" Saloni asked in curiosity.

As usual, Ananya smiled at Saloni's flood of questions.

"Oh my god! You are always excited. Yes, we have clients outside Delhi NCR. Dhruv is in Chandigarh, to meet one of the clients and ya to collect the evidence on his own."

Saloni got excited after she heard about Chandigarh. "Whether we girls are also allowed to go outstation or not," Saloni questioned.

"Yes, why not but first you have to grab as much knowledge as you can, only after that, you will be allowed. Now let's come back to work."

After such a long day, Saloni reached home.

As always, Saloni narrated all the incidents to her family, everybody listened to her with the same energy alike her first day.

At night she was only thinking about her new place.

How my new place would be? Whether I will like the room or not? How will be the food there? what if I will not like the place, how will I refuse that? For the first time, I will have to stay away from my family. No relatives, only I will have to manage all the things on my own.

She was nervous, confused but excited also. She didn't even know when she fell asleep thinking about it.

Saloni woke up late today as she decided to go around 12 pm to look at the room. Saloni and her uncle went to Mr. Gupta's house. She asked about the location on whatsapp with the help of that they reached there in almost 2 to 2.5 hours by scooty.

It was such a long journey for them, they were tired and soaked in sweat due to the scorching sun. Saloni introduced her uncle and boss. They greeted each other.

"Arey beta come, have a seat. Sit for a while and dry the sweat. Cold nimbu pani is waiting for you," Mr. Gupta comforted.

"No sir this is not required, we are not here to trouble you." Saloni insisted.

"Yes, She is right, This is really not needed." Her Uncle added.

"Have this, only after then I'll show you the room." Mrs. Gupta came and served the lemon water.

"And how can this be trouble beta, you are like our daughter only. From now on, you are our responsibility, we have to take care of you, otherwise, your parents and uncle will complain to us." Mrs. Gupta added with a smile.

"From yesterday I was stressed that how will she manage on her own? but now I am stress-free, my daughter is in good hands " Her uncle praised.

They saw the room, it was properly clean. There were lots of windows where sunlight and fresh air were coming directly. The room was as perfect as Saloni wanted.

Saloni uttered just one word "Perfect" with a big smile on her face.

"Ma'am what's the rent of this room," The very next question came from Saloni, which was not expected by anyone.

"No beta, we will not charge anything from you. This is someone else's room, we have taken permission for you only so that you don't have to face any problem " Mrs. Gupta replied.

"Thank you for thinking so much, but Ma'am this is not required, ya we agree, It is somebody else's room but still we will take the benefits. She can't stay without paying anything." Her Uncle refuted.

"Ok, we will discuss it afterward, don't worry Saloni we will not charge much." Gupta sir interrupted with a laugh.

"Ok, sir I will shift tomorrow only." Saloni was happy

Saloni noticed something, someone was staring at her. She turned and saw somebody's glimpse from the window.

Is that Dhruv?, she guessed, but Dhruv is not here maybe I am just imagining.

She ignored that and they went back home.

Saloni was packing her stuff as she had to leave the next morning only and had to arrange everything in one day.

In the morning she was getting ready for her new place but everyone was gloomy, even Saloni was dull too. For the first time, she was going to stay away from them. No doubt it's her paternal uncle's family but this was like her second home. She was being treated like her own home but now she will have to leave.

But why to worry Saloni, I'll try to come on holidays na, it will increase my love towards them more. As distance makes relations stronger. With this positive thought, she smiled and made everyone smile.

Now everyone was helping her in packing the stuff, "Beta charger rakhlia", "di your water bottle," di this, di that.

Finally, she packed all her stuff and with a cordial bye and some tears, she left with her uncle to her new place.

Mrs. Gupta was there to receive them, she helped them in keeping their luggage. Her uncle helped Saloni in making her bed, arranging things.

"Beta, let's go outside. Let's have a look at the market." Her Uncle showed her all the required shops and markets.

"If you will require anything you can come here by walking also. Here is a juice shop, you must drink two glasses of juice daily, one before going to the office and one after it.".

"Chacha ji bas karo main dekhlungi, aapne sab bta to dia, kuch nhi samajh aya to phone hai na, Now sit for some time and take rest, after that, you have to go alone on that long route."

Her Uncle's face became dull and eyes got teary, He made a side hug and pat on his head, "Dhyan rakhna apna, koi bhi jarurat ho kabhi bhi, sidha phone karlena without any hesitation, ok."

"Ok Chacha ji, you too take care."

Ok, I am going then, you take care of yourself and have food on time.

"Teri chachi ne rakha hai aaj to, kal se aunty will provide you."

Ok Chacha ji bye, I'll miss you all.... bye.

Her Uncle left.

She was standing at the gate. She wanted to cry, she doesn't like saying goodbye. Deep inside, she was crying.

Then a soft hand came on her head, Mrs. Gupta was consoling her.

"Don't worry beta, I am here with you, you will not feel alone here. You will enjoy with us. I am damn sure about it. Now go, take some rest, I'll help you in unpacking, call me whenever you need."

"Thank you so much, Ma'am, it's so nice of you. Yes, I am tired I should sleep for some time,"

Saloni went to her room. She was missing her family. She was so tired so, she slept. After one and half hours she heard some noise and woke up. One window was open, but she had closed it before going to sleep.

Maybe it's the wind, she guessed.

She got up, washed her face, and started arranging her things. Suddenly, she realised that someone was watching her from the window. She turned and noticed that person was none other than Dhruv,

She called him but he ran away, she was shocked to see Dhruv's behaviour.

Why is he behaving like a child, most probably yesterday was, also him. But he was outstation, how did he come so early? Maybe he didn't go, why did they lie in the office? whatever let's arrange the things.

She was trying to ignore but her mind was there only. Why Dhruv was behaving like that? Earlier I thought at least he has some manners, but the way he is behaving.... Only God knows, what he was up to. I should tell Ananya, I'll call her after some time, first let's arrange all things.

Saloni was so busy with her things that she forgot the time.

"Beta, when will you have your dinner, it's 8:30," Mrs. Gupta called Saloni.

I didn't notice the time Ma'am, Chachiji had packed the food today, I'll eat that, From tomorrow I'll trouble you, with a smile Saloni responded.

"Are beta, I have cooked for you today also, Why are you saying trouble again and again, I love cooking, Ok come, join me. I don't like to have food alone, everyone is outside, I'll feel good if you join me" Mrs. Gupta offered.

Yes Ma'am sure, I too don't like that.

They started arranging the food on the table.

"Ma'am where are all, Sir, Dhruv, and others?" Saloni enquired

Beta, sir has gone to a relative's function, our daughter Disha is in Bombay for her studies and Dhruv is in Chandigarh, only....

Suddenly the phone rings, Mrs. Gupta checks the phone and says beta it's urgent I have to take it, just wait for some minutes.

Saloni got scared that why Mrs. Gupta is lying, she was feeling like something was wrong,

She started sweating and rushed to her phone, dialed her uncle's number.

The number you have dialed is not reachable, S**t... What should I do? Should I call Ananya, but what if she is also with them, Please god, there should not be anything to worried about. She started dialing Ananya's number with shivering hands.

Ananya picked the phone.

"Ya, Hello Saloni, how are you?"

"Ananya, where is Dhruv?" Without any greeting, Saloni enquired about Dhruv

"Saloni, what happened to you, is everything alright? you are not sounding well, I told you na Dhruv is in Chandigarh "

"Please Ananya don't lie to me, I have seen him today at his home, first Mrs. Gupta and now you are misinforming me, what's the matter, what you people are hiding"

"Saloni, what's going on, why will we hide something from you? Dhruv is in Chandigarh only, you have some misunderstanding"

"No Ananya, I have seen him with my eyes open, I even called him, but he ran away, What's going on Ananya, please tell me the truth. "

"Saloni, you are scaring me too. I have booked his tickets, his return is on tomorrow only, and even today I had a word with him regarding his return. You have surely some illusion"

"God what's happening, whether I had seen his ghost." I have to find out what's the actual matter, Ananya you are not lying to me na?"

"Saloni, I think you need some rest, you are overthinking, why would anybody lie to you? Have some rest, I think you have had some dream."

"Ananya, why are you not taking me seriously, am I looking mad to you, I know the difference between a dream and reality. Anyways, don't share this conversation with anyone, until I find the truth."

"Saloni if you are so sure, then wait, let me call Dhruv."



© 2021 Akshi Only


Author's Note

Akshi Only
Please share your feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on June 20, 2021
Last Updated on June 20, 2021
Tags: #suspense, #thriller, #love, #office, #lie, #family


Author

Akshi Only
Akshi Only

Gurgaon, India



About
CA by profession... Writer by heart more..

Writing