The number 27

The number 27

A Story by Alan Mark Maynes
"

Murder mystery

"
Even dreaming, the number 27 kept popping up in my head. Even the smell of the leaves was like something out of a horror movie. My new dress shoes getting a little dirty off the leaves. The smell of Halloween too. Behind the yellow Tape lied a horrific smell. The body had been beaten beyond recognition. How long has this body been here for?  Kneeling down looking for any signs of clues besides the rope around the neck and the number 21 carved into the chest. What could the number mean? Sitting back at the office with my desk full of old investigations, this was now my top. Barley any sleep, caffeine should help. The autopsy report came in, it was detective Shaw. We haven't heard from him in weeks and all thought he went A- wall. I need some sleep. One of our own brothers on the force was done. What kind of sick f**k would do this? Calling his wife was not an easy thing to do. The days went on and still no leads, until the captian got a suprise in the mail. None of us wanted to open the package because on the box was the number 22. The sound of the razor cutting the duck tape made my bones weak. Inside lied a pair of teeth with the jaw still kind of attached. Now we know someones trying to play with our minds. Are we dealing with a serial killer, we all thought. Detective Howard didn't show up today, so I made a phone call to his house thinking the worst. His wife crying, saying he never made it home. God, we know it's him. The weeks went on and still no clues or leads of who this madman might be. Only 3 hours of sleep I got a sudden call emerging me to come to headquarters. The head of detective Roberts was found in his locker with the number 23 carved into his forehead. How could the murderer get into homicide locker rooms? We all looked at eachother with no trust, thinking if it was one of our men playing this sick twisted game. My anger got the best of me and start acting belligerent. "calm down and just get out while crime scene cleans this mess up" , said the captain with disgrace on his face. Back up at the office everyone in silence not even looking at eachother. We were all in shock. I kept thinking about these numbers. Then it came to me. Detective Shaw was the 21st recruit on our team. 22nd was detective Howard and so on. The weeks passed on, 24, 25, and 26 came along. All bodies were found together in a field with ropes all around there throats. They were cut in half and their torsos found about 20 feet from their bodies. The  numbers were carved into their legs, one number on each leg. I only wanted to quit right now because 27 is me. So that means I'm next. Tonight I am going to put a stop to this, but actually thinking about ditching the city. But what if the mad man is watching me right now, my every move. I had no place to run I thought. This was the most grotesque and horrific thing to ever happen in the Denver homicide history. The dawn came and now had to go home. I wanted to just sleep at the office but just took my chances and checked into a hotel watching my every move, I couldnt sleep. The sun rose, and blinded me. No sleep at all. As I was walking into the building there stood 2 detectives and said, "detective come with us, something has happened." 
They shut the door behind me in the room where we did our interigating. I knew this had to be important. They told me that detective Adams was found last night in his grauge hung by his feet and his throat slit. And carved into his belly was the number 28. 
I said in confusion, "why did the killer skip me?" 
"that's what we want to know?", " do u have any problems with anyone outside the office?" they said. 
My heart started beating rapidly and sweat dripping down my head. 
The detectives asked, "were going to ask you this one more time, why did the killer skip you?"
My grin turned into a smile, I looked at them and said, " because I am the killer."

© 2013 Alan Mark Maynes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 26, 2013
Last Updated on March 26, 2013

Author

Alan Mark Maynes
Alan Mark Maynes

Denver , CO



About
Maynes I take the name  And the blood to keep Our ancestors nature Would never sleep Our lifeline Would never reap The distinct cycles Of our life to peak The grateful gift From our.. more..

Writing