Chapter 3-Double Hope

Chapter 3-Double Hope

A Chapter by Nirmala Alba

‘Why do you have to be so slow?’ I asked Jasper irritated. We were heading to the Purple Bullet to meet the twins. If he didn’t hurry we would be late to their arrival. I had explained him I was meeting with some people to help us out. But as it was typical of me, I kept him out of the bigger picture. He didn’t need to know my whole plan just yet.

‘I’m not slow. I’m just going slow. If you haven’t noticed this freakish roofs are all wet and slippery. And I very well appreciate my life.’ He could definitely be exasperating. But he was right. It wasn’t too easy to walk up here after the rain. ’So, what’s the plan?’ He asked. ‘We simply go inside? Do you trust these people?’

‘Not at all.’ I responded. ‘But they own me a big one, and I think it’s time they pay off.’

‘How can you be sure they will?’

‘Trust me.’ I said turning around to face him, showing him my wicked smile. ‘They will.’  

‘So, why again are we like half an hour earlier?’ Now was Jasper who sounded irritated.

‘Because we don’t want to find ourselves caught up in a trap.’ The idea was that we would try to spy on them as they arrived to the speakeasy. So we kept ourselves low on a nearby roof waiting for them. I actually didn’t believe them capable of preparing me a trap. But I knew something was going on by the way Bill didn’t want me to know where the Drebbles were. Twenty minutes later -of Jasper complaining about the cold, the air, and his hurting knees- I saw movement. ‘Hush it.’ I said poking him. ‘They’re here.’ He looked where I was pointing. I searched all around, but they seemed to have come alone. 

Jasper moved uncomfortably next to me. ‘You never mentioned they were so…young.’

‘Young?’ I asked. ‘They’re probably just a few years older than you.’

‘Exactly. I don’t know. I don’t think they are trustworthy.’

‘You must be kidding right? You haven’t even talked to them yet.’ I looked at him. He seemed embarrassed. And then something clicked. ‘You can’t be serious.’ I said. 'Are you really basing your judgment on their appearance?’

‘Well, look at them!’ 

‘Okay. So, just to be clear. You don’t trust people who are good-looking?’

‘It’s not that.’ He try to argue back, but seemed to find no arguments. ‘Never mind.’ 

I shook my head in disbelieve and directed my watch to the twins again. They were getting closer. ‘Okay, I’m going in. You stay here.’

‘No way.’ Jasper said. ‘I’m not a baby. I’m going too.’

  ‘Okay, right. Sorry. Please go ahead. But if something goes wrong because you mess up, bye-bye to rescue mission.’

I didn’t wait for his complain, and soon we started climbing down. When we reached the speakeasy I opened the back door slightly, without giving it the chance to make any cracking noise announcing we were there. It was all about the entrance. About sneaking in without your prey knowing you were there. It is true that they weren’t my prey, but I liked to think they were. Though I hoped they could become my allies instead. Slowly I walked through the now empty tables of the main saloon. W entered Bill’s office, and closed the door. I sat down on the worn off chair. It was a cozy room compared to the rest of the place. But it had no windows, and only one door. I didn’t feel trapped though, but they would. On the wooden walls hanged framed pictures, guns, and shelfs with bottles of alcohol. I heard their steps approaching and I pulled up my legs to rest them on the ebony desk. ‘Hello gentlemen.’ I said exactly twenty six seconds later, as they opened the door. 

‘Hi, Rowan.’ Dean and Bob responded hesitantly. 

‘Heard you were looking for us.’ Dean said stepping closer. I stood up and approached him too. ‘Are we in trouble?’ He stood now just a few centimeters away from me. He was tall and I had to look up to look into his grey eyes.

‘Aren’t you always?’ I responded just before he embraced me into a big hug. Bob hugged me too, lifting me up from the floor. 

‘Who’s that?’ Dean said pointing at the corner behind the desk, where Jasper was still standing looking at us with no emotion showing on his face. 

‘That, gentlemen, is our client. Also known as Jasper.’ They looked confused and distrustful. ‘A friend.’ I added and saw Jasper faintly smile at this. 


(To be continued.)



© 2015 Nirmala Alba


Author's Note

Nirmala Alba
This chapter is to be continued soon :) Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on May 25, 2015


Author

Nirmala Alba
Nirmala Alba

Spain



About
This is my first time ever writing a story in English. It is challenging, but I'm also really enjoying it :) more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5