A Cloud of Hearts

A Cloud of Hearts

A Story by Albert Freeman
"

A magician-in-training tries to impress the girl he loves.

"

A Cloud of Hearts

 

 

    I wiped my brow for the thousandth time and looked around nervously. The Night of Spirits was approaching and I was still failing at impressing Nicola. What was a guy to do? The test of Wizardry was fast approaching as well and I didn't hold out much hope of using that to impress upon her my good abilities. I was barely doing enough to continue my studies, so conjuring a dragon or wild unicorns was a bit out of my league.

 

    What was a guy to do? The Night of Spirits would be my best chance to show Nicola how much I cared for her and I couldn't think up a single thing that would be original and showy enough to make her smile. I patted my head  and paced in my dorm room. Looking out the tiny window I estimated I had a good three hours before the veil would drop and the stars would shine brightly. Three hours before Nicola came by for me to take her to the Dance of Crystals. Six years it took me to work up the nerve to ask her to go with me and now I was dealing with a frozen brain.

 

    "You know you're trying too hard."

 

    "I'm aware of that," I snapped at my familiar. He sat perched atop his miniature tree and looked at me smugly. Well...as smugly as a hawk could look at someone.

 

    "Well most people would just go with flowers, a card or some such..."

 

    "I'm aware of that too, Mirkyl!" I glared at my familiar and he just looked at me placidly. I was training to be a powerful wizard and yet I needed a minder? Go figure. If I passed that would be the first thing I put a stop too.

 

    Mirkyl sighed, as if he read my mind, which further irritated me. "I can't just go with flowers and a card! Everyone else would laugh at me."

 

    "I keep forgetting how rash youth can be," Mirkyl said in his usual professor-know-it-all way. "My dear boy...women appreciate the simple and more heart felt things someone they care about does and not so much the flashy lets show the world stuff. When you're olders you'll....Don't mimic me under your breath! I hardly give this speech but once a week."

 

    "Once a week is too much," I muttered under my breath. I sat on my bed and flipped through my 'Idiots Guide to Magical Incantations' and realized in dismay that I couldn't do any of these...well not the ones I wanted to do. They all called for things I had either neglected to study or things that would require me holding up people on the roads to and from the academy to raise the funds for. It was hopeless, I realized dejectedly.

 

 

 

© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
Not done with this one yet. Yes I have a record short attention span.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

yes you do...lol and i'm well aware of all your imcomplete works, but I think there is a method to your madness. Get the stories out as much as possible before they are lost to you :) eventually i'm sure you will return to complete them. Love this piece babe, your imagination is infinate.... :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a good start, although brain freeze is normally caused by ice cold liquids...a magician can do almost anything as his illusion becomes one with reality, be that what it may, you know Nicola has the upperhand since she waited six years for you... your not going to get off that easy.

Posted 15 Years Ago


let me guess - he's going to try to do something stupid! I love the way you set your scenes, and your characters here are strong right from the start. Good job :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 6, 2008
Last Updated on July 31, 2008

Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing