A brief respite

A brief respite

A Story by Alexandra Christine Moxin

She sat in one of her newfound secret hideaway rooms in this foreign citadel.  While not her favourite spot, she was for a time away from the ominous throngs of strange people and unusual customs in this foreign land.  There were many nuances to the social order here, not what she was accustomed to and of which she secretly hoped never to be.  She longed for her home.  Her home which was no longer.

 

A Corinthian spy bird startled her from her reverie.  More familiar with local nature than custom, she recognized the bird immediately from the way its wingspan cut through the air.  Spy birds often made no sound other than the unusual reverberating whir its wings produced when it passed above.  She noted every new strange sound and smell in this land; most of the locals had become accustomed to the sights and sounds of this world, but they were all so new to her and still somewhat overwhelming.  Madrien’s lessons to open her mind and heart and take in all the sensory surroundings of a place had stayed with her.

 

She moved out of sight before the spy bird noticed her and uttered its shrill caw.  No need for the vehement beast to announce yet another hiding spot; she laid down in the shade of the wind frame and closed her eyes to sleep.

 

© 2008 Alexandra Christine Moxin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on April 28, 2008




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5