The Forest

The Forest

A Story by Ria
"

A Children's Short Story

"

In a magical forest there stood a small cottage. Deep amongst the tall pines it was hidden and protected from the Kingdom. Gracie had lived there her whole life and could not imagine growing up anywhere else. She loved the forest and all the creatures in it. Her father had always told her she had been born with a most special gift. Her mother said it came from being born in the forest. Magical things happened here and Gracie knew she and the forest were one. Talking to the animals had always seemed natural to her. She loved hearing the squirrels argue over found treasures of nuts and seeds and laughed whenever the rabbits tried to keep the young bunnies from getting into mischief.

 
 
The wise old owl was her best friend. Sitting on a tree stump she and the owl would talk for hours. He told her wonderful stories about the Kingdom. The Grand Balls where woman wore beautiful long flowing dresses and the men dressed in their finest suits. How the King sat on a throne made of pure gold his beautiful Queen by his side. Gracie wished she could watch them dance. Swirling around the floor in gowns made from the finest silk. Owl also warned her of the dangers of the Kingdom. The wars the men fought for land and riches, and the hard life the people of the land lived. Gracie never really listened when owl talked about these things. In her head she dreamed about the Grand Ballroom. How beautiful it must be, she thought. Hundreds of flickering candles lighting up the room, long tables dressed with fragrant flowers and laden with enough food to feed her family for a year. She knew tomorrow she would see it all for herself no matter what owl said.
 
 
The cottage she and her mother lived in was homey. In the evenings there was always a fire going to take off the chill of night. As she stepped in the door the smell of warm bread and burning wood met her and she softly shut out the sounds of the forest. Her mother loved to cook and walking over to the fire she peeked into the large pot hanging there. The wonderful aroma of stew made her stomach ache. Her mother’s stew was one of her favorites. Gracie’s mother was getting on in years and now kept her hair rolled up in a bun. She always felt that after her father died her mother just did not worry about her looks anymore. Like her mother, Gracie’s hair was chestnut brown and flowed to her waist. She had her mother’s face and build but her father’s sense of adventure. She knew her mother worried that one day, like her father she would venture out of the forest and into the Kingdom. Her mother always told her nothing good could come from going to the Castle, but Gracie wasn’t sure she believed that.
 
 
Lying on her small bed that evening, sleepy and full of stew she thought about tomorrow. She decided she would get up before her mother, pack a lunch and head out for the Kingdom. As she drifted off to sleep, head full of ballrooms, and dancing she reminded herself to leave her mother a note so she would not worry.
 
 
The small cries of hungry hatchlings woke her. Eager to be on her way, she hurriedly packed a piece of baked honey bread, cold meat and a jug of water. Quickly she wrote a note promising her mother she would be back by dinner and flew out the door. The sun was just coming up and the dew on the leaves glistened in the light. It was a perfect day and humming a tune to herself, she walked down the path that lead into the deepest part of the forest.
 
 
As she walked, she stopped now and then to talk to the different animals along the way. Shaking her head and laughing to herself she passed by a pair of squirrels arguing over how much food they would need to gather for the coming winter. She decided it must be hard being a squirrel, they couldn’t even enjoy the beautiful summer day they were so worried about winter that was so very far away. As the sun rose higher Gracie stopped by the river to cool off. Sitting on a large rock, she pulled off her shoes and dipped her feet into the cool water. Her father had always told her, if your feet are cool the rest of you will follow and he was right. Splashing water out in front of her she watched the fish dart in and out of the shadows. Pulling the bread from her sack she broke off a corner and tossed small pieces out into the water. She loved watching the fish dart to the surface, and then with a flick of sliver they were gone along with the bread. Excited and eager to get to the Kingdom she packed the bread and hoisted her sack over her shoulder.
 
 
Shoes on and much cooler Gracie walked through the last of the forest. Up ahead she could see the beginnings of the dirt road. Her father had told her the road led all the way to the heart of the Kingdom. Stepping out from the protection of the trees the heat of the noon sun made her skin burn. She hoped the Castle was not far; she knew she needed to be home before dark. Unlike Gracie and her father, her mother did not share their love of adventure. She knew if her mother found out she was headed to the Kingdom she would worry herself sick. Gracie’s father used to sit her on his lap and tell her wonderful stories of his adventures and she knew, like him, she would one day have her own to tell her children.
 
 
The road was mostly dirt with a scattering of small rocks. Large holes and ruts from the spring rains made Gracie wonder how the thin wheels of the carriages could roll along it. The road wound past trees, farmland and small cottages. Walking around a large curve the road straightened out. Laid out before her was the King’s Castle. Tall thin turrets stood on either side of a massive drawbridge. The Castle was everything she dreamed it would be. She could just make out the King’s guards standing high in the turrets. The Flag of the Kingdom flapped lightly in the breeze. As she walked she passed the people pulling small carts filled with colorful fruits and vegetables. Everyone seemed to have someplace important to go. The smell of baked bread filled the air. A beggar sat on the ground, cup in hand waiting for someone to take pity on him but no one seemed too care.
 
 
 
Gracie had never seen so many people. Children played in the street and the sound of their laughter made her wish she could join in. As she walked, she passed a mother dog with her pups. Scolding them with small, sharp barks trying to calm their young pup energy. As they played the mother dog gave her a wary look. Not realizing the children had been watching her, she walked up to the dog and began speaking. Gracie had always been more comfortable in the company of animals than people. Bending down, she asked the mother dog why everyone was in such a hurry. “There is a ball tonight and everyone is getting ready.” “A ball? How wonderful!” Gracie exclaimed. Thanking her she hurried closer to the Castle leaving the mother dog confused. She was sure that little girl had understood her.
 
 
A small group of children had also felt the strange girl had understood the dog. The oldest of the group ran yelling to her mother. In an excited voice she told her what she and her friends had seen and head. Never knowing her daughter to lie she quickly became convinced when the rest of the group confirmed the story. The woman realized that she had never seen this little girl around the Kingdom and wondered where her parents were.
 
 
As Gracie got closer to the Castle she could see the water in the moat was a murky green with slime floating on its surface. Just the thought of falling into that water made her skin crawl. She remembered her father telling her the moat was teeming with large crocodiles and from the looks of the water, she believed him. Walking quickly up to the drawbridge a large guard stepped in front of her. “Where do you think you are going little one?” he asked. The guard had a long mustache that wiggled when he spoke. Remembering her manners she suppressed a giggle and in a rushed voice, smiled and told him, “I am here to see the Castle.” “Oh really?” his mustache wiggled. “Yes sir. I hear there is a Ball tonight and I wish to see the Grand Ballroom.” Shaking his head, he explained that no one but invited guests of the King were given entrance into the Grand Ballroom.
 
 
Gracie had never thought she would not be allowed in the Castle. Her father had told her the Castle was part of the Kingdom, and everyone who lived there went to the Castle. Just as she prepared to explain an old woman dressed in dark clothes rushed up to the guard. “I must see the King at once!” she said in a panicked voice. Ma’am, I am sorry but the King is seeing no one today. He is preparing for the Ball.” “This is of the utmost importance. It is about her.” The old woman said. Pointing at Gracie. Me, she thought? What had she done? Had her mother sent for her? Afraid, she began to back away. “Stop right there!” The kindness in his voice gone. Gracie felt herself begin to run. “STOP HER!” the guard commanded. In seconds people in the street began to circle around her. Unable to escape Gracie waited to see what the guard intended to do. Her mother had been right. Nothing good could come from going to the Kingdom.
 
 
She could see the old woman and guard talking. The woman’s thin arms were moving wildly and her head continually bobbed up and down. Every now and then the guard looked up and met Gracie’s eyes. Tears slowly began to run down her cheeks. Why was she always looking for trouble? Her mother told her she could find it just sitting on her bed reading. Soon more guards came out from the Castle and walked toward her. She could not see their eyes but the looks on their faces told her she was in trouble. “You are coming with us.” the guard with the wiggly mustache told her. Deciding not to cause more problems for herself, she silently allowed them to escort her into the Castle.
 
 
After crossing the drawbridge, they walked through a short tunnel. She soon found herself standing in a beautiful courtyard. A large fountain sat in the middle. Birds played and splashed in the water. So awestruck by the flowers and statues surrounding the courtyard Gracie could not speak. As they passed by the fountain she heard the birds chatter to themselves. “I wonder what she did?” Turning to the right the guards stopped her in front of a set of massive oak doors. Small birds and horses had been carved into the wood. With the help of his men, they pulled open the doors and Gracie followed the dark red carpet with her eyes all the way to the two golden thrones placed on a small platform. She had never seen anything so beautiful. She was ordered to remove her shoes and place them by the door. The runner under her feet felt soft and smooth. As they moved forward Gracie took in the massive room. High painted ceilings and large columns made her feel small. Coming to the end of the runner, she was instructed to kneel. Getting down on both knees, she saw movement from the corner of her eye. Dressed in a long purple robe, and a crown of jewels, the King entered and sat on his throne. Addressing his men, voice deep, he asked, “Who kneels before me?” For the next few minutes the wiggly mustached guard explained the tale of Gracie speaking to the dog. When he was finished the King began to laugh. Composing himself he stared at Gracie. “Tell me child, were you speaking to a dog?” Voice squeaky, heart racing, she managed a small, “yes.” “Where in the Kingdom do you live girl?” the King demanded. Summoning her strength, Gracie raised her head. “I do not live in the Kingdom, your Highness. I live in the forest.” “The forest? Where are your parents?” “My father is dead and my mother is back at our cottage.” she managed. “Do you know the penalty for lying in my Kingdom?” Gracie could feel all eyes on her. “No your Highness. But I am not lying; I really can talk to animals.”
 
 
Standing, the King stepped down from his throne and helped her off her knees. “Liars are thrown in the moat and fed to the crocodiles young lady. Would you like to change your story now?” Unsure what to say, she just shook her head. “You have placed me in a awkward position child.” Turning to his men he issued orders. “Maybe some time in the dungeon will convince you to change your story.” and with a swish of robes he turned and left her with the guards. Unsure what to do, it took a moment for the men to move. They had never taken a child to the dungeon before. Not wanting to anger their King they ordered her to gather her shoes. Gracie was shaking so badly she could barely get them on. Slinging her pack over her shoulder she followed the men to a small door. As the door opened the smell hit her first. A dark, dirty smell. Holding her nose they walked down the stone steps. At the bottom they led her down a dark hallway. Coming to the end she found herself in front of a metal door with bars. “IN!” the wiggly mustached guard commanded. Tears streaming down her cheeks she did as she was told. Before she could turn around, she heard the lock clink shut. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness she began to make out people sitting on the floor. Some crying, others just sitting staring at nothing. Walking to the corner, she placed her pack on the floor and sat on it. “Now you’ve done it,” she thought. Folding her arms across her knees, she waited.
 
 
The King, upon leaving the girl, looked for his wife. His Queen was always very level headed. He knew he could not throw the girl in the moat but how could he get her to tell the truth? The Queen was standing on the balcony of their royal suite enjoying the summer sun.  “My Queen,” he began. He told her the fantastic story of the girl from the forest. When he was finished he saw a gleam in his wife’s eyes. “My King, it is so simple. Your royal horse has not been doing well for weeks now. Bring the girl to the stables. If she really can speak to animals she will find out what is wrong, if she can’t she will be forced to admit she is lying.” Kissing her on the cheek and thanking the Heavens he had married such a sensible woman; he summoned his men.
 
 
Sitting in the dark Gracie heard the sound of the metal door opening. “Girl, step forth.” a male voice commanded. Doing her best not to trip, she grabbed her pack and moved toward the light. Following behind the guard she wondered if she were going to see the King again. She hoped she would be able to convince him of her gift and be set free. It was getting late and if she was going to get home before dark she needed to get moving. Up the stone steps, he led her down a long hall. The door at the end opened out to the Courtyard. Having been in darkness for even that short amount of time, the bright light stung her eyes. Walking past the fountain she noticed the birds were all gone. As they walked, she began to hear voices mixed with the sound of horse hoofs.
 
 
The smell of fresh hay hit her as they entered the stables. She loved horses, her father taught her to ride when she was only five. As they walked down the center of the stable she couldn’t help but say hello as she passed each stall. Frowning, the guard continued to the last stall. Standing there was the King. He was speaking gently to a beautiful horse. Her mane was braded and she looked at Gracie with sad, chocolate eyes. Hearing them enter, the King gathered his robes and walked toward Gracie. “What is your name child?” he gently asked. Standing straight and tall, she told him. “Well Gracie, since you proclaim to be able to speak to animals I have a deal for you.” Gracie’s heart began to beat faster. Maybe she would not be thrown to the crocodiles after all. “Anything you ask, your Highness.” “ My royal horse, Adella, has not been herself. I fear she is ill. If you can speak to her and tell me what is wrong, and you are correct I shall set you free. If you cannot speak to animals and you admit you are lying, I will set you free. Deal?” Stepping away from her, the King waited.
 
 
Looking at the beautiful Adella it was plain to see something was terribly wrong. Her regal head hung, her eyes held such sadness and pain it made Gracie’s heart ache. “I will speak to her, your Highness.” Stepping forward she approached Adella. Talking gently she ran her hand down Adella's neck. As she listened a smile came across Gracie’s face. “My Lord.” she gushed. “Adella’s tooth is hurting her. When she gallops the pain spreads to her head. That is why she no longer wishes to run.” Snapping his fingers, the King sent for the stable hand. Hat in hand and bowing the small, thin man rushed to the King. “Yes my Lord.” he stammered. Pointing to Adella, he commanded the stable hand to check her teeth. Gracie calmed Adella as the man checked her tooth. “Yes my Lord, it is infected.” Smiling, the King bowed to Gracie. “How can I ever thank you my child?” Thinking, Gracie moved close to the King. Rising up on tiptoes, she whispered in his ear.
 
 
The sound of carriage wheels startled Gracie’s mother. Quickly opening the door she saw her daughter jump down from a beautiful carriage. Running to her mother Gracie threw her arms around her. In a rush Gracie told her all about the kind King, his horse, the dungeon and the Kingdom but the best was yet to come. Before her mother could scold her for venturing out of the forest alone Gracie burst forth with the best part of her story. Both she and her mother had been invited to the Grand Ball.
 
 
 
 
 

 

© 2009 Ria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on April 13, 2009

Author

Ria
Ria

Plattsburgh, NY



About
After playing around with words for years I have finally come to a point in my life where I have the drive and the time to write. I am not in a constant state of depression although alot of my writing.. more..

Writing
The Dark The Dark

A Poem by Ria


The Rent The Rent

A Poem by Ria