Absentminded With a Psycho-Path Daughter

Absentminded With a Psycho-Path Daughter

A Story by Alexus Shanae
"

Don't piss me off. i'm running out of places to hide the bodies. - Denise

"

Renee was in her robe, blonde hair a mess as she pretended to listen to her daughter rant and rave about a rule that was only there to keep her safe.


".... and I just don’t think it’s fair that I can’t stay out till eleven. It’s Ludacris. I'll sneak out you know, you can’t stop me,"


Renee sipped her coffee looking her daughter in the eye, giving her a look that deeply warned such a rebellious decision would open a can of whoop a*s on her pearly white bum….’ That seems to poke out of her shorts more and more these days’ Renee thought,


"And would you stop looking at me like I’m twelve! I’m thirteen. Thirteen in a half. And I deserve some me time."


 Renee watched her daughters face lighten, the usual sign that she has said what she needed to say, that mother had permission to speak. Renee missed half of what her daughter said but what she did hear she was disputing about in her head, calculating the correct response that wouldn't unleash her daughter’s dragon.


"Dear, yes you do deserve me time, but like you said yourself you're only thirteen years old, which means 'me' time is out of the question especially when you’re requesting it to be extended an hour before midnight out with your friends."


She thought over the next part, it sounded nice in her head, it sounded fair, sounded like motherly advice.


 "And sneaking out would be digging yourself a hole that would take a serious effort to crawl yourself out of Denise. You have till nine o'clock. You scream and throw a tantrum then you’re not going out at all."


For the first time since the age of nine Denise just shrugged, flipped her hair and walked away. The afternoon sun that poked through the curtains made her juvenile rainbow painted fingernails shimmer. 

Renee's insides uncoiled, she let out a deep breath. I can’t believe how well that went she thought. The last of the coffee slid down her throat, filling her empty stomach. Renee put the drained cup in the sink and went to the backyard to do her morning gardening. The garden Renee designed was half finished. Lavender mixed with fuchsia colored Lilies spread beautifully around her prized cucumber plants and admirable White Magnolia shrubs. Now all she needed was to plant the Ajuga to fill in the empty space.


The sun passed and the stars spread evenly across the scroll of the night sky, puffy rain clouds made mysterious grey accents dotted above the town. The sound of dirt and pebbles hitting grass was heard amongst the crickets. The shovel handle bonked Renee on the head, breaking her out of the misty train of thought she got lost in hours ago.


‘What the hell,’ Renee looked forward squinting. It’s a dark night she thought; she threw the shovel to the ground and walked forward. She only made it two feet before she impacted with a wall of dirt. Panic set in. She clawed and pushed, clumps of moist mud fell to her bare feet.  She looked up at the sky and realized she was in a hole much taller than her five foot self. She tried to think but she couldn’t remember even digging a hole, just morning coffee and semi decent argument with her daughter. She yelled,


“Denise! Help me!” Tears left tracks on Renee’s dusty face. She felt like such a fool. Shuffling came from above; Denise popped her head into the six foot hole. She sported a sour smile on her petite pale face making a dark comparison to the moon.


“I was wondering when you were going to snap out of it. You forgot to take your serotonin pills this morning mom,” mischievousness glinted in her eyes, the next remark came out smart and somewhat evil, “it seems the consequence for not taking your crazy meds is… you dug yourself a hole that will take a serious effort to crawl yourself out of. I’ll be back at eleven.” Denise threw a halfheartedly made sandwich down to her mother and skipped away laughing.


Renee was stunned, she screamed and cursed. Then she stopped and thought, thought really hard.


“I think I am going to disown my daughter.”

© 2012 Alexus Shanae


Author's Note

Alexus Shanae
This short story sprung from a writing prompt i came across on writers digest,
http://www.writersdigest.com/prompts/why-are-you-digging-that-hole

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
A very interesting story. It was a little funny at the end in a dark sort of sense. The only thing I would advise altering is making the part where the mother leaves to go outside more clear.

"Renee put the drained cup in the sink and went to the backyard to do her morning gardening."

Start a new paragraph right before this sentence. May make the scene change a little better.

Overall though, it was a very interesting and entertaining read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

loved it! and ya i would probably disown denise to.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
A very interesting story. It was a little funny at the end in a dark sort of sense. The only thing I would advise altering is making the part where the mother leaves to go outside more clear.

"Renee put the drained cup in the sink and went to the backyard to do her morning gardening."

Start a new paragraph right before this sentence. May make the scene change a little better.

Overall though, it was a very interesting and entertaining read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
OH. MY HOD. That was friggin amazing. I loved it. It was just so hilarious and violent and I adore it. Twisted lil girl, she is! I love how Denise throws her mother's words back at her.

you dug yourself a hole that will take serious effort to crawl yourself out of

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ok so... i am not even close to your writing talents so much wonderful details esp. about the flowers....i can picture them in my mind....keep writing my friend...u have inspired me!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012
Tags: short story, family relationships, dark humor, humor

Author

Alexus Shanae
Alexus Shanae

CO



About
I am an avid reader, some where along the way I became a lover of writing as well. Excuse my ammature skills and enjoy my pleasant stories and prose. I would appreciate feedback, even if it sticks.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..