I'm out of my head.

I'm out of my head.

A Chapter by Sarah Ann Connor
"

Alice finds her self a mess with a recent and shocking accident. She struggles to wait for information and decides to take matters into her own hands.

"


There I was, weak and exhausted. I had waited in the hospital for over 7 hours, still no response. All I knew was there was a hit and run, Megan was hit. My foot twitched uncontrollably as my eyes squinted at the intensity of the hospital lights. What the f**k happened. One second Megan’s coming over to my dorm for her surprise party, then this s**t. My hands formed a fist, I couldn’t take it any longer. I glanced over to see Katy knocked out, curled up with a blanket around her. Her body tucked into her under the blue cotton cover, her hands supporting her head. The rest of the seats were empty, Megan's family would be here in the morning. Until then it was just Katy and I. My hands pushed off of the wooden chair lifting my numb body up. I made my way over to the nurses station. “Any word yet?” I leaned over the desk with crossed arms holding my body up. The nurse was a dark lovely women, she seemed in her late 20's. Her face was welcoming, as well as her attitude. “I’m afraid all we can release until her family gets here is that she is in critical condition. The doctors have said that she is in a comatose state at this time. But they are running tests as we speak to find out exactly whats going on up there. But that's all we can say until her family arrives.” My nose send shooting pains up to my brain as I fought back tears. “of course, thank you.” I turned away as the nurse half frowned at me. “Are you her girlfriend miss?” My eye lids grew heavy as I turned to look at the nurse. “No, but were close.” “I see..” The nurse looked down. “I'll prey for her.” I opened my mouth a bit, then smiled at the nurse. The women smiled back at me. “Thank you, really. Thank you.” She responded with a nodd. As I walked back to my seat I passed a clock. 5 am, great. 10 o'clock, its been hours, seriously hours. What am I too do. All I can do is sit in this damn chair and be enslaved by my own thoughts and fears. Maybe I should try and contact Megan some how. See her... When I returned to my chair I let my body sink into it. As I took my first breath in, then out I felt my body lighten. I repeated this until I became a bright light of my self. I stared at my body for a moment. What a heavy disgusting feeling that body is. It's as if a weight is tied to my leg, sending me to a watery death. Ugh, disgusting. I looked over to see Katy. Her radiance was a deep dark red color. That's so Katy. I began to walk through the halls, first passing the nurses desk. She was there spinning a pen around her fingers. She had a bright green glow to her. I smiled, she chose the right career that's for sure. I continued to walk pass the nurse, making a right into the intensive care unit. My body guided me to a door with a white shade over the small glass opening. This was where she was. I passed through the door seeing two doctors, as well as 6 others. All were going about doing different tasks. One doctor was writing on a clip board as the other was holding her eye lid back as he checked her eyes. I made my way over to Megan. I looked at her, my head tilted. Her face was bruised and discolored. Her head was bumpy and swollen. Dried blood was taken up a good portion of her forehead. Her arms lay life less and battered. “Megan...” My nose hurt again as tears rolled down my light see through body. She was in bad condition, horrid condition. Her arms were cut up, some skin shredded and broken. “Megan....?” I leaned over and shut my eyes. Empty, so empty. I opened my eyes to stare at her holding. She wasn’t in her body. So where was she? My eyes stared at the heart monitor with a horrid stillness. Still beating.. I looked at her broken face, as I leaned in. I touched my hands to her beaten face. My hand skimmed her cold cheek in a downward motion. I leaned in further to press my lips gently against her's. It felt as if I was kissing a empty shell. It was meaningless, yet so meaningful. Megan, Ill find you. I promise, Ill find you. My lips left her's as my eyes shut. I concentrated then let go. I felt a rush of relief as I returned to my body. Missed me didn’t you? Huh..Body’s are really nothing but empty shells if there’s nothing to fill it. My eyes opened as I inhaled deeply. I got up and looked over at Katy once more, still asleep. I returned to the nurses station again. “Ah back again. No new's I'm sorry. Those test are still..” “No, Its fine.” I interrupted her with a grin. She straightened her back and cleared her throat. “I'm going home. Can you tell that women with the black hair to call me as soon as she hears any thing? I need some rest, got a long day ahead of me.” The Nurse smiled. “Of course.” Her smile brought about two loving dimples. “Thank you, as well as that whole coma thing. It's correct. She's in a coma.” The nurses face scrunched up as she nodded her head from side to side. “How did you know that? The test's didn’t..” “The test's will say the same, when there done.” I smiled a fake smile, then I nodded and continued to leave the hospital. I left the nurse speechless and rather confused. Its a shame I wouldn’t be around to see her reaction when the test results came back. I unlocked my car door, as I looked up at the stars above. “Megan..where are you...?” I slid into my car as I bit my bottom lip. I exhaled slowly as my hands gripped my steering wheel. “ill find her....” I turned the car on and began the slow numbing ride home.



© 2014 Sarah Ann Connor


Author's Note

Sarah Ann Connor
Could you imagine being in such a position? It's the worst feeling by far. Unable to do anything, being trapped in your own mind, waiting for an answer. If you had the ability to get more information would you? Or just a way to see that loved one? Would you do it? I know I would, and so would Alice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the concept behind this chapter, The fact that your main character can enter the astral realm in itself is interesting, but the reason she decides to use this ability is where the story hits home for me. She wants to find her friend, to know if she's going to be okay. The connection Alice feels toward Megan is touching, even in Megan's absence you can really sense the strength of their bond. I really want to accompany Alice on her search behind the veil of physical existence. The question of what happens to our souls when we find ourselves lost between life and death is truly profound and makes for very intriguing reading as everyone has their own idea of what it would be like. My only suggestion would be to add some atmospheric touches when describing astral travel, as it felt very physical and solid to me, maybe describing the changes in the way Alice moves and how her senses have been altered or heightened. I think this would aid the transition between her two states of being and really add to the dynamic of the text.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 9, 2014
Last Updated on April 9, 2014