Kate’s pregnancy sparks surge in baby bump portraits

Kate’s pregnancy sparks surge in baby bump portraits

A Story by Alice Gunson
"

Kate’s pregnancy sparks surge in baby bump portraits

"

It seems the newest Royal is setting trends before he or she is even born, with the Duchess of Cambridge credited with sparking the recent rise of the pregnancy portrait.

Inspired by the Duchess’s elegant maternity style, Venture Studios has reported a 43% increase in women seeking to capture their own pregnancies on camera for posterity.

In arguably one of the biggest examples of the so-called ‘Kate Effect’ to date, women are even arriving at studios with photographs of the young royal, looking to recreate her ‘hands-under-bump’ pose.

Pictures: evening dresses online

The surge has been particularly high in women among Kate’s age bracket, with a 57% increase being recorded in expectant mothers in their 30s.

The style of portrait requested has also seen a shift, moving away from highly staged Demi Moore reminiscent shots to very natural, traditional portraits celebrating mothers’ individual looks.

Richard Mayfield, Creative Director for Venture Studios commented; "Since November we have seen a notable increase in portraits of pregnant women at our studios.

“Women not only want to mark this important moment in their lives, they are also more confident about being themselves and maintaining their individual styles - even with a changing body shape.

“Celebrities such as Kate who actually incorporate their bumps into their usual glamorous look has perhaps inspired women and reassured them that they can still look amazing and make the most of fashion even when pregnant."

The stories behind the snaps

Aside from Kate, what else is inspiring women to have their pregnancies caught on camera?

1. Sazia Samad, 38, A&E Consultant

"I wanted to capture this unique moment so I can look back on it in the future. I have found the changes to my body interesting but still feel in touch with who I am. I think the days are gone when women used to try and disguise their bumps or hide away when they are pregnant."

2. Deborah Lally, 36, Group Resourcing Manager

"Gone are the days when pregnant women could only wear leggings and an over-sized t-shirt. I have been surprised that I haven't had to change my wardrobe a lot and have been fortunate that, except for the bump, the rest of my body hasn't changed. I am still able to go to the gym and do yoga and haven't felt restricted. I have felt like me, and the style of my clothes has actually suited it, which has meant I have been able to wear most of my normal clothes throughout."

3. Sabina Eklund, 30, PR Account Manager

"I am having a girl and so one day she will grow up and be pregnant and see what I looked like! It is good to try and document the pregnancy as it is going really fast after 20 weeks. I like my bump. Instead of disguising it I want to show it off and make a feature of it."

4. Hikaru Kobayashi, 38, Royal Ballet First Soloist

"I really love my bump - it is a symbol of a new and exciting stage in my life. I have totally embraced it and even though it has affected my day job - my last performance was when I was three months pregnant - I kept taking ballet class every day and I also trained at the gym. As a dancer, it has been strange having to work around my growing tummy, but I want to remember this special time."

5. Caroline Wade, 35 PR and portrait painter

“After spending most of my adult life controlling my figure, the fact that your stomach is meant to stick out in pregnancy is an interesting shift in perspective! It reminds you that what your body can do is so much more powerful than how it looks. However, the reality is you don’t turn into an ‘earth mother’ and you still want to look good. I didn’t expect to still feel attractive when I was pregnant but it is still you, just you with a bump. It is also easier at this early stage to look good as you can still mix and match your normal clothes with maternity things.”

Also see: plus size bridesmaid dresses

© 2015 Alice Gunson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on January 22, 2015
Last Updated on January 22, 2015
Tags: style