Salvation Stories: Tirsa

Salvation Stories: Tirsa

A Story by Pencil in His Hand
"

Tirsa is searching for something more.

"


Salvation Stories: Tirsa


By Alison Lawrence







A brilliant blue sky arched above the young woman as she climbed to the top of the low hill. Something within drove her once more. She needed to get up, away from the ground where she was always toiling. She took a moment to admire the vista. Her heart could scarcely bear the beauty of it all. At last, she reached the top of the hill and surveyed her kingdom as she jokingly referred to it. If only I could journey to the horizon; perhaps then I would see.

"Tirsa, what are you doing up here? The harvest needs many hands. You are shirking your work again."
Tirsa turned with a frustrated groan and saw her brother, Zaccai striding towards her. Brown-skinned and stocky like herself, he exuded strength and practicality. Like Zaccai, Tirsa was strong physically. However, she lacked his lazer focus.
"Just taking a short break. I'll be back at work shortly." Tirsa sat down on the grass as though to prove her point.
"Daydreaming again, you mean. Look, Tirsa, the sooner you come to your senses, the better. You can't put it off any longer. The marriage season is coming up, and abba expects you to wed Kenia."
Tirsa wished that Zaccai would just stride away again, back to his beloved work, and leave her alone. But she knew that the only way that would happen was if she placated him.
"I know. I don't want to disappoint abba."
"Then make sure you don't." Zaccai's words were forceful, but his hand was soft on her shoulder. "It's the way things must be, Tirsa. You'll see, all will be well."

***

No, it won't, she whispered into the wind as she watched her brother make his way back to the fields. The lush barley harvest waved to her below her hill, but she ignored it. She must have her ten minutes alone, to think, to breathe, to question.
The word, question, was a foreign one to her. All through her growing up years in her village , she'd been discouraged from asking questions. The way things were was the way things were, and that was that.

***

But everything had changed though for Tirsa. Ever since she'd heard about Him. Some whispering and rumours had filtered through to the village about a man who was also God and who changed people. Somehow, Tirsa knew that this man would be able to answer all her questions. This man they called Jesus.

***

The following day, she rose, and taking her bundle, she walked up her hill once more. It was long before milking time, and her family still slept the deep dreamless sleep of farmers. This time, she didn't sit down, and neither did she look back. Instead, she followed the path down the other side of the hill. The path that would take her away from home, and hopefully, to the answers she sought. As she walked, the sun rose with promise in its path. She was going to find Jesus.

***

© 2023 Pencil in His Hand


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on August 30, 2023
Last Updated on August 30, 2023
Tags: salvation, Jesus, inspiration, hope

Author

Pencil in His Hand
Pencil in His Hand

Velddrif, Western Cape, South Africa



About
I'm Alison, a self-published writer from South Africa. I write mainly short stories and poetry. I have written a couple of novellas and novelettes as well as a children's story. My preferred genre is .. more..

Writing