The King's Son

The King's Son

A Story by Pencil in His Hand
"

A perilous mission for the Prince.

"
The King's Son

A Short Story


By Alison Lawrence
King Zidon watched as Prince Ari rode off on his stallion, Kiaron. He gripped his staff tightly. Surely the trolls would not harm his son.

The king's advisor, Beneniah, stood at his side as the drumming of the hoofbeats faded. He said nothing to the King, but he was concerned. He shuddered as he thought of those who had been beaten or murdered by the trolls. He had cautioned the King against sending Prince Ari, but the king was convinced it would work.

The trolls had long been a troublesome problem. A blot in the beautiful, otherwise peaceful kingdom. King Zidon had hired out a vineyard to them, but so far, collecting the King's due had been perilous.

"Sire, I can't help thinking that we should have called on the giants."

"No, Beniniah." The King sighed. "That would only lead to war. The trolls would view the arrival of the giants as an invitation to take up arms. It's better this way. We need to keep the peace."

***

As he rode, Prince Ari greeted the friendly folk along the way. The young man was beautiful, and as yet, not betrothed. His down to earth kindness had won the hearts of the kingdom's peoples.
The fairies kept watch as he journeyed through the forest. Féaron and Kylon flew alongside the Prince's horse. "We have heard of your mission," Féaron's bright features dulled for a moment, "should you not take some men with you?"
Kylon rested his hand on Kiaron's bridle, as though he wished to bring the horse to a stop. "Are you armed? Trolls can't be trusted, as you know, my Prince."
Prince Ari slowed his steed and smiled at his friends. "Worry not. Your concern warms my heart, but the trolls should know better than to harm the King's son. I do have my dagger under my cloak, and Kiaron is as speedy as a cheetah. You will see, I will pass by again in a few days with my father's rightful due in my travel bag."

***

Prince Ari rode on, stopping only for brief rests. He was eager for the ongoing dispute with the trolls to come to an end. He dismounted beside a field where some dwarves were working, and hailed them cheerfully. Like the fairies, the dwarves knew of his mission, and shared the same concern. "I will gladly ride with you," Deta offered bravely, "I am only a farmer, but I know the ways of the trolls."
Several of Deta's friends offered to go too, but Prince Ari politely declined their offer. "The King is determined that I go alone. He wants to keep the peace." Prince Ari didn't add that he had no intention of placing any of his friends in danger. This was his mission. His mission alone.

***

"Hail, Prince Ari." A voice that sounded like tumbling rocks rolled across the fields. The prince reigned Kiaron in and waited as two giants made their way towards him. The ground trembled even though they took pains to do no damage. These giants were a rare people indeed: loyal and peace-loving, they had long before pledged support to King Zidon's predecessors. "The dwarves have told us of your mission, and that you go alone." Réus spoke, and as he did so his immense hands and long ponytail swung, disturbing a flock of birds. "Berg and I will follow at a distance. Those trolls are not to be trusted."
"Thank you, Réus," Prince Ari shouted as loud as he could, "but stay well back. The King doesn't want trouble."
The giants agreed reluctantly, knowing that true peace would only come to the Kingdom once the trolls were removed from the land.

***

The hired vineyards were situated in a fertile bowl of land surrounded by mauve coloured mountains. As Prince Ari entered the valley his optimism began to fade. The trolls had enclosed the vineyards with towering walls of rock in an obvious attempt to keep the King's servants out. Two hideous and bulky guards manned the gate. Prince Ari decided that the least confrontational option would be to approach on foot. He tied Kiaron to a tree. The horse pawed at the ground nervously and twitched his ears. Prince Ari patted him and whispered reassuringly. The trolls watched him approach, their eyes gleaming with hatred and distrust.
While still some distance away, Prince Ari bowed. "Sirs, I, Prince Ari, son of King Zidon, come in peace, to collect his due payment. As agreed by yourselves and your family."
A look passed between the two trolls. They said nothing, but opened the massive gate to allow Prince Ari through. He glanced about, taking in the heavy bunches of purple grapes and the rough dwellings of the trolls. Then he saw no more. The larger of the two trolls raised his club, and brought it down with deadly accuracy on the Prince's head.

***

"Just bury him with the rest." The murderer ordered one of the smaller trolls. "Now the King will stop bothering us with his precious son gone." He grunted and picked up his club. "But if he does try again, we'll be ready for him."
The smaller troll threw the lifeless body of the Prince over his shoulder, but at that moment, the ground beneath his feet began to shudder, and he dropped the body. Giants! The trolls ran for cover as the immense figures approached. Their clubs would not be of much use against the two behemoths. Réus let out a cry that shook the surrounding mountains when he saw the crumpled body of the Prince. He and Berg stormed the vineyard, stomping on the stone houses. Two trolls fled to the mountains. The rest were crushed by the giants. Réus stooped and tenderly picked up the Prince. Kiaron had already broken free, and the riderless horse was galloping towards the castle. The giants followed with their light but grim load.

***

King Zidon heard and felt the thundering noise of the giants' approach long before their arrival. He hastened outside, Beneniah at his side, and with a terrible dread rising in his heart. Réus approached with all the respect and quiet he could muster and laid Prince Ari at the King's feet. No words were needed. The trolls had done the unthinkable. They had killed the King's Son.

***

Grief hung thick over the two giants and the King's attendants. King Zidon stepped forward, then knelt, and took his only son in his arms, and his tears began to fall.
By now, the fairies, dwarves, and other kingdom folk had begun to gather in front of the castle. All were in shock, and not one eye was dry.
The King's tears fell like rivers down his face, and splashed onto the lifeless eyes of the Prince. The King mourned over his only child, and over the decision he'd felt forced to take for the sake of peace. Somehow, he'd never believed that the trolls, evil as they were, would kill Prince Ari. Fresh tears fell onto the Prince: a faint movement. A breath of life. A flutter. A sigh. The Prince's eyes opened and met the astounded eyes of his father.
"My son lives! My son lives!"
All was joy, laughter, and celebration, and when Réus and Berg finally were able to tell of the routing of the trolls, the King decreed that a week-long party would be held on the castle grounds. Gifts and food would be freely available.
"My son was dead. But now he lives!"

The End



Kingdom River


The water ribbon flashes, flows
and ever winding onward goes
playing heavenly lilting songs
with help from waves and willow trees
and wind which rides and swirls along

Songs of the King who rules the land
His Son so good and kind and fair
of shining folk with silver hair
where short, strong men who mine for gold
and giants as tall as mountains dwell

A ribbon wide talking, winding
through fields of sunshine, sage and gold
a tale of love's pure holy light
how darkness could not have its way
how love and light brought life again

© 2023 Pencil in His Hand


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on September 5, 2023
Last Updated on September 5, 2023
Tags: fantasy, fiction, adventure

Author

Pencil in His Hand
Pencil in His Hand

Velddrif, Western Cape, South Africa



About
I'm Alison, a self-published writer from South Africa. I write mainly short stories and poetry. I have written a couple of novellas and novelettes as well as a children's story. My preferred genre is .. more..

Writing