The Cool Summer Evening

The Cool Summer Evening

A Story by Allen S. Thomas

It was a cool summer’s night at the forest. There’s an endless trail before me and it reeks of alcohol and heroin. The trees look down on me from their lofty airs, judging me from way up high while never knowing my low being or even caring enough to try. The moonlight fades away as the clouds roll in and a chilling breeze renders my limbs numb and heavy. The path is going dark. Am I lost? Probably. Life has neither compass nor map eh? Lightning strikes a tree down only to burn, another future gone. It serves him right. I look at the burning corpse with anger. The rain starts to pour as my anger washes into sorrow, my tears mixing with the cold evening rain. Sorrow so heavy you could cut it. I walk on still crying and the mist rolls in…where am I? It doesn’t matter anymore. The wind blows though me, shaking my tattered heart to pieces. I don’t bother to pick them up anymore. What good is a heart of glass? Why have a heart at all? More lightning and thunder… it strikes not five feet away from me. I walk on not caring. I left my heart somewhere a long time ago. Doesn’t matter if I live or die. Why? ....Why indeed… I don’t even know myself. I miss that big tree and how it protected me from the rain. I miss the animals that would wander on and off my blurred path…Oh well. I should get off this path sometime. It’s going nowhere fast, and it reeks of alcohol and heroin… I encounter a fork in the road, left smells the same, but right looks scary… might as well try something new eh? Fog rolls in again. I can’t even see my face. I’ve been walking for hours. I’m scared, cold, hungry, tired, worn out, man I miss that tree. The fog clears away and the dawn of a new day greets me, as I find myself in front of a stump with a box on it. I open the box and it has a heart inside…

“So that’s where I left it…”

 

[END]

© 2011 Allen S. Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on March 30, 2011