Isolated - Part I

Isolated - Part I

A Story by Alpris
"

A story that's been bubbling up inside me for quite some time. Using personal experiences and beliefs, I've crafted a story into at least 15 parts I hope you'll enjoy.

"
Saturday, July 28th - 2001 - approx. 3:30PM.

Gabrielle and Eve had this look on their faces.
I knew too well in my nine years of living what that look meant, and it meant only one thing: Trouble.
In their expressions I detected a threatening sneer, the kind a bully would shoot at a smaller kid in the playground before he was ready to emotionally -and most likely for life- scar the helpless child. The way Gabrielle nudged Eve ever-so-subtly with her elbow and said something under her breath confirmed my suspicion that they were in on it together, as always. I squirmed uneasily in my chair at the dining table, which suddenly felt very stiff and uncomfortable as opposed to the comfort of its cushion when I first sat earlier. Despite my growing turmoil, I didn't move from my seat. There was something unusual about the two of them sitting there on the sofa across from me...I couldn't quite put my finger on it....
THERE!
A sheet of paper between the two of them, with some sort of blue scribble on it. I couldn't see it very well because the distance and the angle of the paper made it difficult. As soon as I was seen staring, Eve placed a protective hand over it and chortled. As she did, I noticed that Eve was holding a blue felt-tip pen with the lid off. Gabrielle mumbled something and the two of them giggled further in unison. I felt my heartbeat quicken a few notches. What were they hiding? I mentally recalled the events of my day, anything so humourous or embarrassing it would drive my own sisters to delightfully share a secret and gain gratification in seeing me suffer. Things had happened to me in the past, and I was ninety-five percent sure they were aware of it. My cheeks began to warm, and the anxiety tightened my chest like the stinging lungs of someone underwater, desperately clawing their way to the surface; in the need of air.
Air. I needed air. 
Finally, I lifted myself from my chair. My body felt weak and tense at the same time, and I turned away from my leering sisters. There was a lump in my throat, but I kept my fingernails dug tightly in my palms and remained composed as I left the lounge room. The burden began to release itself from my shoulders as I made my way down the hallway, but it was back as quickly as it vanished as I heard the squeak of the couch springs as my sisters rose from their cozy sitting.
And I knew, from personal experience and intuition, that they were going to follow me.

I reached the end of the hallway, and a panic rose up inside me. I could either go straight ahead into the room I shared with Gabrielle, or to the left towards the front door and get the air I so badly needed. The answer was so obvious, I swerved quickly to the left.... and stopped dead in my tracks. Eve was leaning against the closed front door, grinning knowingly at me. Despite her fragile figure, the intimidation was overpowering and I could feel my confidence crumbling like a tall building that seemed so solid but proved to be faulty. The freedom through the misty glass of the door was interrupted by her body shape. It was clear she had no intention of moving, so I just stood there, bewildered. I was aware that my teeth were grinding slightly and inside me, I felt a mixture of panic and desperation... but there was a new emotion stirring up inside me now. One I'd rarely felt, and I recognized it as rage. I could take Eve down easily, she was a year younger than me and had a much smaller build than I did. I took a step back... another emotion. Guilt. I would never hurt my little sister... would I?
Before I could comprehend my next move, Gabrielle appeared behind me and placed a heavy, cold hand on my shoulder. Her fingertips dug roughly into my collarbone as I jumped in surprise.
"Go to our room, Alpris," Gabrielle said gently, yet somehow cruelly as she removed her hand from me. "There's a surprise in there for you."
Because she was my big sister, whose duty should have been to protect and love me unconditionally, my shoulders relaxed and I turned around to meet her gaze. She smiled sweetly down at me and for a second or two I forgot how conniving she had appeared earlier in the lounge with Eve.
You're being ridiculous, I thought to myself. They are your sisters and they love you. You're just overly paranoid...
"Okay," I said, as bright a tone as I could muster. My voice sounded a little too high-pitched though, and once again I glowered in embarrassment. Gabrielle didn't seem to notice. She glanced over my shoulder at Eve; and there was a malicious glint in her eye. It was there for a millisecond, then gone.
I told myself I imagined it.
I told myself that not all surprises are intended for good.








© 2012 Alpris


Author's Note

Alpris
My first novel I'm working on so yes -thank you helpful example- ignore the grammar problems lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked the pace and it never became boring or predictable. Nice Job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 23, 2012
Last Updated on January 26, 2012
Tags: bullying, trauma, emotional

Author

Alpris
Alpris

Auckland, New Zealand



About
Here is a reference to my artistry - a painting of myself and Myra Hindley: At the point of acquaintance , I generally go by Alpris; a name given to me by someone I don't know, let alone the in.. more..

Writing
tricks tricks

A Poem by Alpris