Centuries in the Night

Centuries in the Night

A Story by Rose Shepard
"

Dracula loves a woman and her name is Rebeka.

"
It was a beautiful sunrise, probably the most beautiful I had ever seen. Then again, maybe it was because it was the last one I would ever experience. You see, that was the day I died. I know what your thinking, sad right? It wasn't. I never really had a family, or friends, so the emotional connection to my world was nothing short of non-existent. Not to say that I wasn't happy, I was, as much as one person can be without being giddy. I bet your wondering how I knew I was going to die. Well, to say it simply, I fell in love. No, not with a person, not really....but with a society. A society f hopeless romantics doomed to wander aimlessly through the dark of the Earth for eternity. Don't laugh. Vampires are hopeless romantics. Remember Dracula? He loved a woman with his whole lifeless heart. Do you know who that woman was? me. Yes, Dracula was hopelessly devoted to me. We met at the theater, his other weakness.

England 1768:
     
     It was Saturday night, and the final show of the season. I was playing Carmen, the lead female role in Hannibal. I had just walked onto the stage to perform the aria when I saw him. He was sitting in the closest box seat on the left. He had a lonely sort of look, almost tormented. He watched me closely as I sang. I felt myself become more and more curious about him. I wanted to meet him, and I would.
     I was a long hour before the show finally ended. I changed quickly and ran out the back to look for him, but he was already gone. I was disappointed, I didn't usually put myself out to meet a man. In fact, I had never really been in love. Not that I didn't have suitors, I did, but I just never really loved any of them in return. But the man from the box seat stirred something inside me. Maybe it was the way he watched me, or maybe it was the lonely, tormentedness I had perceived about him. Whatever it was, I wanted ta part of it. I wanted to find this man, and love him. 
     I started my traditional walk home, three blocks west, ten blocks south, through the park and down the alley by my home. When I entered the park, I realized that a thick fog had begun to settle in. I slowed down my walk, it was hot out and the fog was relieving. I suddenly began to feel like I was being watched. I turned to look over my shoulder, but nobody was there. Suddenly, a hand grabbed my shoulder.

"You shouldn't be out alone."

I turned around. It was him, the man from the theater. I was speechless.

"Whats your name?" he asked.
"Rebeka."
"Good evening Rebeka, my names Vlad."
"You were at the theater." I said.
"Yes, as were you."
"You were watching me?"

He leaned in close to whisper in my ear.

"Everybody was watching you."

I blushed in embarrassment as I realized what I had said.

"Did you enjoy the performance?" I said trying to hide my mistake.
"I always enjoy the theater."
"I have never seen you there before." I said.
"Just because you haven't seen me doesn't mean that I wasn't there."

I looked at him curiously.

"How long have you been attending this theater?"
"I have been coming to this theater since 1752."
"My first performance was in 1752."

He stared at me, not saying a word. He leaned in close, brushed my hair out from in front of my face to behind my ear. He leaned in so close to me that I could feel his breath on my neck.

"I never said I wasn't watching you."

The words were so rich in my ear that my knees nearly buckled beneath me.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He stepped back.

"Take my hand." he said reaching out for me.

I hesitated.

"Trust me."

     And something in me did. I reached out and took his hand. Even through my gloves I could feel that his hands were cold. He walked with me the rest of the way home. He didn't speak, but he didn't need to. His presence alone was...
     Suddenly the moonlight peeked through the trees and I noticed how incredibly pale he was. It was almost angelic the way the light illuminated his skin. I had to catch my breath when he turned and spoke.

"Something wrong?"

I didn't answer.

"You don't need to be afraid, I'm not going to hurt you."

Again I trusted him, and I wasn't sure why.

"Who are you?" I asked again knowing how ridiculous I must have sounded.

He laughed and continued to walk.

"Rebeka, I want to see you again." he said as we approached my home.
"When?"
"Tomorrow, dusk."
"How will I find you?" I asked.
"Don't worry. I'll find you."

     He kissed my hand and I walked up the steps. I turned around to tell him goodnight, but he was already gone. Disappointed, I turned back around and entered my home.
     The next morning I awoke, anxious to get the day over. I decided to go visit Anne, my best and only friend. I got dressed and headed out. It was warm outside, not cool and relaxing like it had been the night before. I decided not to walk through the park. The park was just to sacred to be disturbed during the day. As I walked, I realized that my mind was beginning to wander. I started to think about Vlad. He was different than the average man. He was pale, and mysterious...and fast! I remember how fast he had disappeared when I turned to tell him goodnight.
     I arrived at Anne's nearly an hour after I had left. Time was drifting by too slowly. I wanted it to be dusk, I wanted to be in the park with the sun setting. I wanted Vlad to be next to me, holding my hand like he had before.
I knocked on Anne's door and she opened the door faster than I had been expecting.

"Rebeka! Your alright!" she said quickly embracing me.

     Anne worked at the theater with me. She was one of the chorus girls. We started out together when we were eight, but Anne's passion was dancing whilst I wanted to sing. We stayed friends, however, rooming together, working together, we were inseparable. Even after Anne got married we never lost touch.
     We were similar in our looks, we were both red-headed, however, I was a brighter, vibrant red, while Anne was a deep sophisticated red. We were both green eyed and thin, but Anne was nearly six inches shorter than me.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" I said.
"Well I saw you leave with that man last night."
"Yes, he walked me home."
"I know, I saw him watching you close during the show. He watched you like you were something to eat."
"What are you talking about Anne?"
"I don't know, I just...I was just worried. You never go out with anyone. So when you left, I saw him follow you out. I was gonna walk home with you, but when I got out of the theater, you were already gone."
"I am fine Anne. In fact, I'm going to see him again tonight."
"Really?" she said.
"Why do you sound so shocked?"
"Its nothing Beka, you just never go out."
"I'm not just going out Anne, I have to see him."
"What do you mean?"
"I don't know. I just have this urge that I need to see him. I don't think that I can explain it."
"What are you talking about Beka?"
"I don't know, I just don't know."

© 2013 Rose Shepard


Author's Note

Rose Shepard
It will be more detailed once i decide if I want to continue this story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on February 12, 2013
Last Updated on February 12, 2013
Tags: vampire, romance, fiction, teen, young adult, fantasy

Author

Rose Shepard
Rose Shepard

Shawnee, OK



About
I am 21 years old. I love to write, sing, watch movies and play video games. I love Doctor Who and Harry Potter. I love zombies, reptar and godzilla. I have a daughter who is my inspiration for writin.. more..

Writing
Kyra Kyra

A Story by Rose Shepard