Kyra

Kyra

A Story by Rose Shepard
"

16 year old Kyra is dying. They found a brain tumor which the doctor's claimed inoperable. Because of the tumor's place, Kyra lives in her mind, a world of knights and mermaids and dragons.

"
Kyra always understood reality from fantasy. She knew that the world that she lived in did not consist of dragons and knights in shinning armor. She knew that she would never walk the night with vampires or be rescued by a noble prince. In the real world she was just a sixteen year old girl fighting for her life in a different way. 
When Kyra was fourteen, she had a seizure and was in a coma for two days. Doctors performed an MRI and found a tumor in her brain. It was small when they found it and the doctors said that they had caught it early enough to treat it. They started her on chemotherapy and in less than six months there was no sign of a tumor left. Kyra went back to her normal life. She went back to school and for almost two years she thought that everything was going to be alright, until she had her second seizure. 
When she awoke, the doctors informed her that the tumor had returned and that ,because of its location and size, was inoperable. She was going to die. Soon. Dr. Andrews informed her parents that she would need constant care and that it was best if she stay in the hospital. Kyra's parents were scared, but they stayed strong for her. Her parents couldnt always be there with her, they worked a lot, so Kyra immersed herself into her books and her imaginary world. Sometimes Kyra would become so immersed into her fantasy worlds that she forgot the life she really led. Dr. Andrews said it was a side-effect of the tumor. She wasn't able to control what reality she lived. Every day was a mystery to them and even to her. Her parents wanted her to be on medication so that she could keep to reality, but Dr. Andrews insisted that it was in her best interest to let her live in her fantasy's. If she was going to die then it was better for her to die happy in her fantasy world then afraid in reality. Her parents agreed in the end and Kyra's story began.

© 2013 Rose Shepard


Author's Note

Rose Shepard
I have another chapter, but I'm not sure where to start with her world in her head. Once again, the story will be more detailed and correct once I decide on continuing the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on February 12, 2013
Last Updated on February 12, 2013
Tags: teen, young adult, fantasy, adventure, fiction, vampires, dragons, aliens, space, military, bravery, courage, sadness, happiness

Author

Rose Shepard
Rose Shepard

Shawnee, OK



About
I am 21 years old. I love to write, sing, watch movies and play video games. I love Doctor Who and Harry Potter. I love zombies, reptar and godzilla. I have a daughter who is my inspiration for writin.. more..

Writing