Oh Hey World

Oh Hey World

A Story by Amanda
"

It's been a while.

"
So, I just finished my first semester of college.

I have plenty of thoughts to go along with that statement, but it is difficult to capture them.

I'll try my best...

Wise minds have told me that college will be the best experience of my life. Nothing compares to living on a campus, free from the stress of home, yet young enough to live without the weight of all of life's responsibilities. I can see what they mean. I've spent these past few months learning so much beyond my belief and expectations, and to be perfectly honest, not much of my new knowledge can be attributed to my classes.

Moving out:

This is a big one. I could not wait to leave. Of course, there was anxiety involved. There always is. But I knew I was ready to support myself. The packing and unpacking was the most difficult part, mostly because I'm lazy enough. I was extremely motivated by the curiosity of seeing how well I could function on my own. Though I was never really alone...

My Roommate:

I am lucky enough to have scored a roommate whom I've known for several years, who I know has similar interests, great taste in music (obviously the most important factor), and is a person I can enjoy time with. The technical aspects of living with someone new never bothered me, which actually surprises me since I can be very shy towards change. I have been fortunate enough to have had a roommate my entire life, which could have contributed to my ease in that particilar area.

My Twin:

Oh boy. This was a rough patch. My twin and I didn't intend on going to the same school. We decided that college would be our fork in the road, our new chapters, our inevitable seperation towards bigger and better things-on our own. Did that happen? No, of course not. I applied to my dream school, she applied to hers. It was all set according to plan and *boosh* with a click of a button she committed to which school? Mine. I was momentarily devastated. Okay, maybe more than momentarily. I was convinced the same comparisons, drama, and self doubt would roll over straight from high school into my college career. Has it? So far, yes. But I've also learned that even with her living right there on the other side of campus, I can still have my space, and better yet, when all else fails I have someone that I can rely on nearby when my friends aren't available. Which brings me to my most important chapter...

My Friends:

Oh, my. Where do I even start. I had high hopes for making friends in college. I mean, as a member of the marching band (I'll get to that later) I knew I'd instantly have a family on which I can rely. And I was absolutley right. Sure, I've made friends outside of marching band (my roommate, for one), but no one will ever mean more to me than my band family. My section has welcomed me and respected me as a musician and a person, which honestly means the world to me. I can think of at least one person in every section to whom I can run to when I need something. And I mean ANYTHING. I'm abnoxiously picky when it comes to people, so if this fact doesn't impress you, it should. There's a couple of people who I've had the pleasure of getting to know on a higher level than I expected. Those are the friends I will remember for the rest of my life. The friends where I can pinpoint the exact moment when I realized how much they mean to me. The friends who I don't remmeber how we became so close, but I just know that I'm thankful for that day. (August 29th, you know who you are) The friends who I never expected to talk to me, but I'm oh so glad they did. I'm so thankful for every person who is polite to me, everyone who I pass in the halls who smile, and for everyone I have the pleasure of interacting with on a daily basis, even if you bug the living daylights out of me. Which brings me to...

My Enemies:

I don't like to hurt people. But I don't like to be hurt either. I've learned that there are some people who will do ANYTHING to watch your face turn red with rage and laugh at you all the while. Here's a warning for you: I won't hold a grudge, per se, but you'll be going on my list for people I will never take seriously, never trust, and I likely won't be there if you call. Thank you, though, for letting me figure this out early on. I appreciate that much. I will now take a deep breath and forget about you again, goodbye.

My Major:

Oh right. The reason I'm in school. Let's just say I'd be nothing without music. I'm not even going to elaborate because I would still be writing about it and miss my own graduation. It's my passion, and I am so, so lucky to know that. I spend almost every hour of every day living my own dream. And I don't know many people who can say that with confidence. I can walk around a beautiful campus on a beautiful day knowing that at some point within the next few hours I'll have the privelige of doing what makes me the happiest all while earning a degree. It fills me with pure happiness to know that I'm required to spend time with my favorite people, do my favorite things, and grow in my passion all to secure myself the career I cannot wait for. I hope I never lose this excitement, even though I don't think I will. Future me, come read this when you feel discouraged. Remember your dreams.

Relationships:

Haha, no. We're not going to go there. Let's talk about something even better.

The Food:

I appreciate my parents so much. There, I said it. Now I should probably say it to them. Anyway, campus food isn't as terrible as people made me want to believe. It just doesn't compare to real food, if you know what I mean. Coming home to fresh food was amazing. I'm being entirely serious. Worrying about precious, precious food going bad is one of the worst things about living on your own. Another is not being able to pay for your soon-to-be-spoilt necessities.

Money:

Mom, Dad, I'm sorry, and I love you.

Marching Band:

The same wise minds told me that I will experience things that will stick with me until my dying day. The marching band has already given me more than my fair share of those. This little blurb won't ever do it justice, so all I'll say is that standing there on the field in front of hundreds of people screaming and screaming has perhaps made me the proudest I've ever been. I wouldn't trade that uniform (and all it represents) for the world.

Naps, Grades, and Finals:

I've combined these topics for two reasons, the first being that none could survive without the other, and the second being that my tablet is being very unresponsive and if I type much more I might go insane. I never took naps. They struck me as a complete waste of time. Boy was I wrong. I can't count how many times I have crashed this semester (intentionally and unintentionally) and in how many obscure places. I'm really learning to appreciate sleep (as I type this at 3:30am, I'm a hypocrite, so what). Grades... all I have to say is that I'm learning that it is impossible to be perfect. If you try too hard you'll be worse off in the long run. Finals, finals, finals. Screw you. You were nice enough I guess, but I could have done without the stress and the mind games. I'm going to be ready for you next time. You. Just. Wait.

Coming Home:

Finally. Yes, there is more of the dreaded packing, family drama resumes full swing, and once again I play the role of live-in maid, but hey, there's good food, I can reunite with best friends, feel the love from my beloved pets, and to wrap it all up in over-priced paper and a big red bow: CHRISTMAS!

Well, even after all these words and ramblings I still feel as if I barely scratched the surface of what my first college experience has enlightened me to. I just know I am thrilled to be back and ready to make some memories in the spring.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

© 2015 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
I wrote this a little while ago and never posted it, hence the Christmas references. Better late than never, am I right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on January 21, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2015
Tags: Thoughts, College, Life, Obsevations

Author

Amanda
Amanda

About
Just some dude who is putting pen to paper or keyboard to screen for reasons. more..

Writing