Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amanda Peters
"

Gaston Landes is frustrated with the lack of concern over Pelee's inevitable eruption.

"

A hot sunny day, the day most workers loathed already, was made more miserable by the sense of impending peril. The vegetative old man had been rumbling and blowing smoke for days. He was angry at someone for something. All of St. Pierre was on edge, either from anxiety or arguing with those who believed the mountain was doing doing more than a little grumbling. Gaston Landes was the most worried. His instruments and observations were not turning out positive results. Sulfur was invading homes, dust collecting on the cleanest of windows. Wild animals were leaving the area, presumably for a safer climate.


"Gaston! Calm yourself. He's only trying to remind us all that he's in charge!" The man hit Gaston's shoulder harder than he expected. Gaston set his foot backwards to catch himself and not stumble.


"George, no. The seismograph is putting out readings. There is movement. You all need to listen to me."


The man named George stiffened and looked at Gaston squarely. "Listen. The elections are approaching. We can't have this business. We told you this at the meeting. This seismograph is nothing more than a toy. I'll bet you that the wind knocked around the table or something. Now, I need to go. See you later Gaston. Let's have around drink tomorrow night." He walked away before Gaston could retort.


Not that it mattered all that much.


Around the corner a shadow appeared before him. Gaston was startled and irritated by the man and attempted to step around him.


"Excuse me monsieur." He was more than pert.


"Landes? Correct?"


"Please let me by I have no time-"


"Pelee is going to erupt."


Gaston was frustrated, there was strange activity, but he couldn't say whether it was going to erupt, there was simply not enough evidence for that. He looked at the man closer. He was strange, someone he had never seen before. Probably a visitor from somewhere wanting to get in business he had no business getting into. Gaston was getting angry from the man's presence.


"The Telegraph cable is in the sea. There is nothing getting to and from Guadalupe. The animals are leaving. I don't mind the smell of sulfur, but I'm probably the only one to not mind it." The man was matter of fact about it all. He wasn't concerned, he was interested. Yes. Just a visitor.


"The cable isn't down. How do you know?"


"I just know things. I would like to discuss this further with you if you don't mind. Coffee perhaps at a cafe, I don't mind dust either."


"No, sir I don't want coffee. Please excuse me. Things are frustrating enough without you telling people things that are not true."


"Fine. I'm staying at this address if you want to talk. I have some information you may like to know." He handed Gaston a card with an address. The resort on Pelee. Gaston grumbled. Idiots.


"Yes. Yes." He took the card and trudged away. He looked back towards the man, he hadn't even given him a name. Not that it mattered, he had no need to speak with him.


"You can call me Addai, Landes. Don't need it though, just come to the address, I'll know when you're there." He took out a cigar, set it on his lips and smirked.


Gaston turned around before he could watch him light it, but heard the flame behind him. Strange fellow. Didn't need his name? Even his name was strange. He was certainly glad to be walking away from him.


Gaston loved Martinique, it was picturesque and beautiful. Everyone loved Mont Pelee. It was like the glittering star for all to withhold, family trips and adventurers climbed the trails daily to see inside its crater, full of water and sparkling in the sun. Never any danger to anyone who wanted to gaze at it’s glory. Along the trials were shrines that burned for the images of the virgin, reverent in the sun as it was at nighttime. Life was everywhere and most were cheery. They all reveled in what the mountain gave them from the past, lush vegetation, hot springs, money from tourists and visitors to have drinks with. St. Pierre was a shining example of what colonialism can do. Peace and heaven littered every inch of the soil. They called it “Little Paris”. Indeed it was. Shops full of the latest fashions, cafe’s on the corners. It was something to take in your first time on their island.


The idea that Mont Pelee would ever erupt that was something that not a single resident worried about. It was dormant and extinct. Geologists from all over knew that the Antilles were volcanic islands, they predicted fifty years ago, that he would exercise his god given right to take over the land again. When the small explosion in 1851 came it was little to be truly worried about and life continued. Nothing interrupting the serenity of the paradise everyone so cherished.


Gaston had a lot of work ahead of him. He didn’t believe he had the time for it though. He couldn’t understand how so many were ignoring the threat. He wondered at himself for remaining. No, he had to try to do something, get them to evacuate before something terrible happens. This was their home, they wouldn’t abandon it easily. He saw many times how they would build homes, the mountain would threaten them, only for them to leave. As soon as the danger was over with, they returned right away to the exact same spot. Only in the sad sense did it amuse and baffle him. Was he really any better though?


He walked home with the sense of dread heavy on his shoulders. There was not enough he could do to convince the Governor to make an exodus away from Pelee. As he walked into his home, door shutting behind him, weariness dropped upon him like a blanket. He wondered if he should go to the Cathedral to say prayers, hoping for a happier outcome than what his heart was thrusting upon him. Perhaps the lava flow will be kept to the ravines and everyone just needed to stay away from those places. Yes, that is it. Everything will be fine. He took out the card and set it on his bedside table. He didn’t even bother removing his clothing and laid down. The sun was setting, sleep and exhaustion from worry was cooing his mind to rest.




The bangs on the front door startled him awake, confusion laced his face and he gathered his legs over the side of the bed. He growled at the the fact that he slept with even his shoes on.


“I’m coming. Calm down. What is it?!” He shouted to the door as he grabbed the handle.


“Monsieur, The seismoscope registered an earthquake.” His assistant had a flurried look on his face and was concerned about Gastons appearance when the door was opened.


“Fine, Fine. I’m coming. Give me a moment.” He waved him inside and went upstairs to grab his jacket and hat. On the table set the card. He picked it up and sighed. He didn’t realize he pushed it into his pant pocket. Downstairs, he found his younger assistant from the Lycee wringing his own hat.


“Calm down Marcus. When did the reading occur?”


“About an hour ago Gaston. Nobody felt anything. Did you?”


“No, I didn’t. Although I have just awoken myself. What time is it?”

“Just after 9 sir.”


He had slept for an amount of time he was used to and felt it. “Come lets go see this. Along the way we can ask if anyone had felt it.”


He wasn’t educated enough to know the entirety of what everything meant and he languished his ignorance. He made the best of it and his tools. The books at the Lycee’s library were few and far between. He was the best person on Martinique to figure things out regardless of his lack of knowledge and that was all that mattered to him at the time.

As they walked, they stopped to ask locals about the earthquake. None had felt anything. They complained about the bugs invading their city and the skittishness of the animals. Cattle and horses alike just would not settle for anything. Work was not getting done. He overheard some men near the telegraph operators office complaining about their dispatches not being sent to Guadalupe. A chill settled over Gaston.


“Excuse me, did you say that there is a problem with communication?” he asked the men, not thinking about his rude interruption.


“Yes, the cable is severed, I have business to do and they just sit there. I am losing a lot of money right now, please excuse me.” he huffed away angry followed by three other men who appeared to be his employees.


“Oh my.” Gaston stood there, not sure what to think. The strange man had been correct the day before. He must have heard the news before the commercial employer. He walked into the office and found several people scurrying around like mice.


“There is still no word when the cable will be repaired sir, only found out this morning.”


There was nothing on his breath, no words in response, only a realization that that man, what was his name?, had told him about this yesterday afternoon.


“Gaston, do you think it’s related to the earthquake?” His assistant spoke to him, interjecting his thoughts with a reasonable question.


“Perhaps it is. Go back to the Lycee, record the occurrence in my journal and wait for me there. I have some business to attend. I will be gone the rest of the day. Thank you Marcus for waking me and informing me of events.”


“Wait, what do you mean you have business?”


“I need to visit a contact of mine and see the mountain with my own eyes. It will take all day. Please just do as I ask.”

“Let me come with you, please. It may be dangerous.”

“No, I will go alone, I need to think.” Gaston walked away dazed from his assistant and started back towards his house. He needed fresh clothes and his bag with journals and pens.




Gaston stepped into the resort. It was bustling with life and well connected people were chatting about the events of Pelee. The journey to Mourne Rouge aside from his driver and other travellers discussing what was happening around them. Most were unafraid and annoyed by the few who worried about an explosion. They complained that their visit to St. Pierre had been ruined by all the dust, rodents and skittish horses. He kept silent about his views on the matter, not wanting to draw attention or mire from their annoyed voices.


The entrance was bright and airy, perfect time for vacations and trail hiking. The atmosphere in the room was mixed the same way the carriage had been on his way there. He kept his head low and walked to the front desk.


“Ah. You came.”


He turned around and found the strange man standing before him. This time he looked at him closer and with more trepidation than annoyance. The man’s eyes smirked and his mouth turned upwards.


“Yes. How did you know about the cable, it was only discovered this morning.” He spoke low to not be heard by anyone else.


“A little bird informed me. I know things, I pay attention, the same as you. No one else seems worried though, it’s interesting to me. To see all of them having a good time, annoyed by the rumbling and noises coming down to them, amusing to be sure.”


“This is amusing to you?” He was now annoyed once again. Did this man have any sense of worry or concern for the lives surrounding them?


“Yes, people are so stupid. They believe what they want to believe. They are fine and happy so long as they get what they want out of things. Not until its standing on their doorstep do they open their minds up further than what they have convinced themselves. I have seen it time and time again. I am apathetic to it.”


“Time and time again?”


“Oh, ignore my philosophoical rantings. That is not what you are here for. To listen to me go on about society and human life. Come, let’s go to my room and we can order a drink.”




“What is your name again? I’m sorry I was not paying attention yesterday. Frustrated with the meeting I am sure you overheard about.”


“Addair. Do you like it? I chose it myself.”


“I suppose I do.” Gaston couldn’t hide the look he gave him, he clearly thought Addair  was unusual.


“Thank you. Now, we have business. It’s going to erupt.”


“I suspect as much, but there isn’t enough evidence and no one believes me if I even mention the thought.”


“Yes, as I said, they believe what they like,” Addair motion to a pair of chairs near the window, the room was one of the suites of the resort, sumptuous and fine, everything in it was clean and comfortable.


“I suppose you are right about that. For months now my telescope has been aimed at that mountain, puffs of clouds that are there one second, gone the next. There was an earthquake this morning. Wait- How? How did the cable come down? The earthquake caused it. How did you know about it yesterday?”


“I told you, a bird informed me. I’ll save my secrets about  how I came upon the knowledge, if you really want to know what the knowledge is. That’s the deal, take or leave it.”


Gaston was trying to figure this out in his head. He heard Addair’s deal. His curiosity burning him badly, but there were things to be heard, and this was the only way for him to find them out. “Fine.”


There a knock at the door and Addair opened it, already some bills in his hand to give to the deliverer of the tray. The tray was set and the money exchanged. The boy smiled wide, white teeth brilliant against dark brown skin. The colored peoples on Martinique had enjoyed a freer life than in most places and Gaston was pleased by it. It was a reason for him to stay despite looming danger.  


Addair poured them each a glass of dark colored liqueur. He assumed it was a rum, native to the island. When the glass reached his lips, the ice touching them, he found he was correct.


“That’s better, Martinique makes wonderful rum. It’s my favorite in all the Antilles.” Addair went silent as he walked to looked out the window, the scenery was picturesque. Something out of a fantasy or a dream, another reason Gaston stayed there.


“Yes, it is quite wonderful. Addair, please tell me what you know.”


Addair turned to him, his eyes dark, darker than they were a moment ago.  He smiled to Gaston and joined him in the seat next to him.


“It will erupt. I made it so. A friend of mine is visiting soon and she can’t leave without it.”


Gaston frowned. He was insane. He fell into the trap of an insane person. His hopes for a wider berth of knowledge on the matter were fading. He expected him to be a Geologist with an education about volcanoes and what to do about it. Instead what he got was a crazy person talking about god knows what.


“Hah! I made you frown. I sound insane, I know. But you will believe me. Soon. How do you feel right now? Dizzy perhaps?”


Gaston looked at him with amusement, he wasn’t- yes he was. Addair’s features began to shift slightly, his ears were pointed, his teeth were fanged.


“What...what is happening? Did you drug me?” He was disoriented and trying to further any more words was impossible. He was glued to the chair he sat and couldn’t say a single word. Addair got up and placed both his hands on the arms of the chair. He loomed over him. He appeared a devil carved out of nightmares. Gaston was powerless and could hear his heart trying to rip itself out of his chest.


“Now now, calm down. You’re going to hurt your heart, trying to struggle against me. You’ll be fine, slightly confused and with a little memory loss when this is over with, but you’ll be healthy and vibrant for life again. I keep my deals and will tell you what I know about the eruption.”


Gaston’s eyes shifted back and forth at him, Addairs face was a mere six inches away from his. He was terrified but had no hope to change the way things were going. He settled slightly and a small breath escaped his lips, he hadn’t even known he had been holding it. The panic was was still strong, but less so now.


“Landes, I set up the eruption, a friend of mine is trapped inside and she needs to be released. I can’t have you talking sense into any of these people who live here. She needs their deaths. She feeds on their sense of tranquility in the face of extreme danger. I have no idea how all of this is going to play out or which way the lava will flow, if it flows at all. Pompeii was an eruption of beauty, I hope it’s similar to that one. The bodies that are now frozen forever in time. It’s a sight to behold. You should visit it one day, that is if you survive this one.”


Addair moved slowly closer to him yet, and smelled his neck. He hummed with pleasure and Gaston felt the air in the room change. Hands crept to the collar of his shirt, running along the inside rim of it. Being paralyzed, there was little he could do to stop it.


“I’ve given you a small amount of my blood, it will allow me to track you wherever you go. It also, gives you an advantage over everyone else here on the doomed island. You will likely survive, though I can’t say for sure, so no promises. I want you to continue the work you are doing, but discovering nothing further that will promote an evacuation. Talk to them, give them facts, whatever makes you happy. Above all, just be happy with the idea that you are doing your best.”


Addair’s tongue was now licking his neck while his tie was being loosened. Buttons popped off his shirt and a mouth was kissing his softly.


“I don’t usually go for men, but you are a handsome devil.” he chuckled like it was a joke, the tone conveying a pun that Gaston didn’t understand. His shirt was now open and fingers were pressing his head to the side. Panic welled up in him again. He didn’t know what was going on, he wanted to leave, leave right away. There was absolutely nothing he could do at the moment except close his eyes and hope that it would be over soon.


First there was sharp pain, and then wetness trickling down his throat and into his shirt. He couldn’t see anything save for Addair’s dark thick hair, it was suffocating him. A pulling started from his heart and crept upwards towards his shoulders and through to his head. Bursts of pain radiated starting at his toes and upwards as well, it traveled along his torso, inside his body and out. All he could think of was the pain, not even screaming out for help was reaching his mind. His eyes drifted closed, he willed them open but there was ntothing he could do. Blackness filled him and he dreamt of the sunny days that he spent in St. Pierre. Shopping for gifts to send home to friends. Chatting with students at the Lycee. Happiness.


There was a whisper in his mind, telling him to do as it instructed, something was happeneing with Pelee, and he didn’t know enough save for what he discovered with his telescope and saw when he ventured to the mountain itself. He told them about it all, but admitted that he was not knowledgeable enough to warrant concern. He would continue his observations but that there was no immediate danger, nothing to worry about.



He was sitting in Addair’s chair, holding his glass of rum, watching the sweat drip down the glass, how long had he been daydreaming, seemed like an amount of time that could be considered rude to his host.

“Thank you so much Landes for sating my desire and quelching my worries. I appreciate it so much.”


“Oh, um yes,” he turned towards the other man, he was calm now, before Addair was rife with worry concerning the possible eruption of Pelee, which was just plain silly.


Addair stood up and Gaston followed his action, “Thank you for the drink and allowing me the pleasure of your company, I apologize for my lack of attention a moment ago.” Gaston smile sheepishly at him, embarrassed.


“No, do not think on it, we all get pulled somewhere else from time to time. Especially with the way things are going here as of late.”


Gaston followed him to the door and stepped out, “If there is anything else you need, just let me know. I’m at the Lycee, if you weren’t aware.” Addair nodded.


“Oh sir, here, let me straighten your tie, it seems to have come loose.”


Addair’s nimble fingers quickly fixed it and set a hand on his shoulder. It raked across his back as Gaston turned down the hallway. “It was a pleasure Landes, we will definitely have more chats I should hope.” The door closed and Gaston walked towards the stairs at the end.


Such a kind host, forgiving me for that.





The days following April 22nd 1902 was one of confusion and chaos. On the 23rd, dark ash billowed out of a lower crater, covering a northern section of the island. Foul smelled drifted into St. Pierre and people went about their business wearing cloth over their faces. Still not leaving the town. On the morning of the 24th, the north half of St. Pierre was covered in dust, more so than they had yet seen. It reminded people from places north of the Carribbean of snow and they began to worry.


Some were calmed the next day to see only a cloud of smoke setting on the mountain. Gaston set up his telescope in the chamber of commerce for the curious businessmen to look at the flurry of excitement happening above them. The air was light and tea was served that morning for all to enjoy.


Gaston had not heard anything from Addair since he left the resort. He remembered feeling more worried about the smoke and problems happening around them before speaking with him. His way back home, he did nothing but take in the scenery and smile, as if everything was going to be alright. And it was going to be alright, the old man was just reminding them who was in command of the island, nothing more. So he set up this event for everyone to observe him in his rumblings. The prominent men of St. Pierre was tasked with keeping everyone calm and collected. So they led by example.


Gaston was enjoy a conversation with a small group of them when loud noises and subsequent shocks filled their ears. He ran over to the telescope, coming forth was a large cloud and many rocks being thrown into the air further than you could see without the telescope. This is it.


Darkness covered everyone like an eclipse, ash and dust rained down upon them. Fear seized everyone in the room and windows were hastily shut by servants and the men alike. Dishes breaking could be heard only a few feet away. Gaston pulled his telescope away from his window and barely shut it before a puff of dust wafted into the room.


“Shut the window, Damnit!” he heard shouting behind him. It was already closed, but that fact escaped everyone because the dust moved through the room for several minutes before settling enough to see through it.


“Landes! What do you make of this?!”


He answered, no knowing to whom, “It may have been the eruption, I am not sure, I need to return to the Lycee, excuse me gentlemen.”


“The eruption? This isn’t lava, just dust. I felt an earthquake. I think you are wrong.”


“Perhaps, I need to go, to check the Seismograph.”


He quickly packed up the telescope and bounded down the stairs and outside. Servants were scurrying about trying to find footing in the mess. He accidently knocked one down and apologized over his shoulder as he walked out the door. Outside it was chaos, everyone was shouting, he didn’t know which way to go.


He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned towards it. It was Addair. His fine suit was covered in dust like everyone else there.


“My friend, this way.” Addiar called to him over the shouting.


Gaston motioned for Addair to lead the way and he followed him.



© 2015 Amanda Peters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on April 6, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015
Tags: pelee, concern, St. Pierre, Asmodeous, vampire, supernatural


Author

Amanda Peters
Amanda Peters

Davenport, IA



About
I am a writer and artist. I can get long winded and philosophical at times but I wouldn't have it any other way. My facebook page shows off the artwork I am doing. Some of it is related to my story, s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Amanda Peters