Chapter 2: Knox

Chapter 2: Knox

A Chapter by Amber Perry
"

Knox enters the world of Hinder for the first time. Knox's perspective.

"

[Knox]

"...And this is your wristwatch," the Specialist finished, handing me the watch.

I looked at it for a moment, then slipped it on my wrist and fastened it. It was simple; a plain leather strap with a digital face in the middle, which read 1:03 in glowing numbers. "Thanks."

The Specialist chuckled. "Don't look so nonplussed," he said (nonplussed? who talks like that?). "It's more than just a timepiece. It serves also as a cell phone, music player, map, alarm clock... Really, you can load applications from the database, and it can do virtually anything you like!"

I gave him a smile; I meant it to be grateful, but it probably came out a little too sarcastic. "Sounds good."

He grinned and clapped me on the back (don't touch me, whitecoat, I don't even know you) before stuffing his hands into the pocket of his white lab coat. "Off you go, then!"

I scoffed quietly in response to his overbearing, false cheer, and turned to the big, metal doors. I swung one open and stepped down the three stairs that led into the elevator. I glanced over my shoulder in time to see the door swing shut. All light winked out for the slightest of moments, and then the fluorescents flickered on, illuminating myself, my single black suitcase (should've packed more clothes; who knows what they'll have down here), those three steps, and an elevator door. I pushed the only button�"down�"and heard the little ding just as the door slid open.

I stared at the elevator for a second, and the door began to close. I jabbed my hand into the line of the motion sensors, and the door reopened. I took a deep breath and stepped into the elevator. The door closed (no turning back now) and I stood, frozen, as the elevator began to move.

I tried to calm myself by focusing on details�"that’s always been my favorite way to push things from my mind. I carefully noted the walls of the elevator, smooth and white. I paid close attention to the near burning in my nostrils, caused by the overly sterilized smell. I meticulously counted the number of tiles on the floor, and then repeated the process with the ceiling. I listened to the tinkling elevator music, trying to remember if I’d heard it before.

At last, the door reopened. I quickly exited the elevator and found myself in a room that had two couches on opposite sides of a glass coffee table and a counter next to the door. Behind the counter sat a woman. She glanced up from her book when the elevator door closed. She saw me, and her face broke into a sunny smile.

“You must be our newest arrival,” she said. She touched the portable screen on her counter and scrolled through something before looking back at me. “Charlie Knox?”

“Just Knox, ma’am.” (Ma’am? Have I ever called someone ma’am before?) I shifted awkwardly and scratched the back of my neck. “Just Knox,” I repeated.

Her sunny smile never faltered. “Knox, then,” she agreed, reaching over the counter to shake my hand. I had to take a few steps forward to reach her, and this only seemed to make her smile more. “You’ll have to forgive me for not getting up, Knox,” she said amiably, eyes glittering with humor. Still sitting, she slid back from the counter to reveal that she had no legs past the knees. I felt my jaw drop, and she must’ve seen it too; she immediately rolled forward in her wheelchair to conceal her stubs under the counter.

“I-I’m sorry,” I stuttered, flushing red.

My discomfort only seemed to delight her more (dear God, does she ever stop smiling?). “Don’t trouble yourself, dear. I do that every time a new resident comes in.”

“Why?”

“I don’t mind being gawked at. You must remember, Knox: everyone is here because of an abnormality to them. Mine is obviously one of the more noticeable problems, but by no means the worst. I let newcomers gawk at me so they can get it out of their systems.” She shrugged. “Most people aren’t so uncaring about others staring at them.”

I couldn’t help myself; I smiled widely. “Thanks.”

“You’re very welcome.” She reached under the counter and handed me a slip of paper with a code on it. “Enter this in your watch and you’ll receive your room assignment, as well as a map of town and a directory of the people who live here. You’ll be registered as soon as you enter the code.” I did as she instructed and handed back the paper. “Supper is at six in the cafeteria,” she added.

“Thank you, ma’am.” I turned to go.

“One more thing,” she stopped me. “Call me ‘ma’am’ again, and I’ll make sure you’re forever known as ‘Charlie.’ My name is Patty Green.”

I grinned and nodded. “Thanks, Patty.”

“Good. Off you go.”

(I hope they don’t all say, “off you go” to get rid of me down here) I thought with an inward grimace. Still, I kept my grin as I nodded once more and turned to face the simple glass door. That door was all that separated me from everything I’d ever known and some new world. I hesitated. Maybe I could still go back. Maybe I’d been asleep this whole time, and any second I’d wake up to pancakes and lemonade, and Kaylie would be asking Dad if I was awake yet, ‘cause that new movie starts in an hour. Maybe Kaylie would be wearing that yellow dress and have her hair up�"

No. I yanked myself out of my reverie with a start. Kaylie’s gone, I told myself firmly. You’re awake; this is real. No turning back.

I reached for the doorknob.



© 2013 Amber Perry


Author's Note

Amber Perry
I know that this is in a different font than chapter one, and that was intentional. I'm thinking that I'll have a different font for each character's perspective. Same goes if I add another perspective later on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on November 20, 2013
Last Updated on November 20, 2013
Tags: dystopian, knox, hinder


Author

Amber Perry
Amber Perry

About
I have a million ideas bouncing around in my head, but I haven't finished anything yet. Based on you guys' feedback, hopefully I'll get an idea of what ideas are worth something and what ideas should .. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Amber Perry


Pirates Pirates

A Book by Amber Perry