Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Amber Perry

“No, no, no…” I moaned as I flew down and knelt beside my girl. My beautiful Victoria, whom I had guarded since the day she was born. I loved her like a dear sister, even though she couldn’t see or hear me; like most, Tori had never had the Sight.

She was squished between the frame of her bicycle and the bright orange Sedan. Her waist-length, silky black hair was thrown in disarray around her bleeding skull. She shuddered and her cobalt blue eyes flew open. It was time.

I flicked my hands out to the side and time froze around us. Tori blinked and stood up slowly, facing me.

“What… what’s going on?” she whispered. Fear was etched into every line of her face.

I bowed my head. “Thou art dead, honey. I am here to take thee home.” I tucked my short blonde hair behind one ear and fidgeted with my silky dress while she digested that.

“No… no, I can’t be!” she sobbed. All of a sudden tears were streaming down her face. “What about Erik? We’re in love! He’s the ONE, damn it! I CAN’T be dead!” Suddenly she stared at me, as though noticing me for the first time. “Who are you?” she demanded to know.

“My name is Celeste. I am thy guardian angel. Or, I was. Now I suppose I shall have to go back to messenger duty, which is what I did before thou were born.” I sighed. “Do not worry, thou shalt love heaven. It is wonderful for humans who have died. The angels do the dirty work.” I mean, I loved God and all that (how could I not?), but… I didn’t really know. I’d been a working gal since I was created; angels don’t get vacations very often. Sometimes I wished I’d been born human.

Tori looked at my face. Her eyes lit up and she grinned. “We’ll pull a Parent Trap!”  I blinked at her in mild confusion. She groaned slightly and elaborated, “You know, that Lindsey Lohan movie where the girls trade places? No? Whatever. We’ll switch. I’ll take your spot in heaven and you can be ME! Someone has to take care of Erik and Ki, make sure they don’t get into trouble!”

I bit my thumbnail. It was perfect. The brilliant girl had just presented me with just the opportunity I’d always dreamed of. There was just one little problem…

“I would be breaking the Cardinal Rule of the Angels�"DO NOT INTERFERE WITH HUMAN AFFAIRS. I’m allowed to watch, to bring a little light in dark spaces, give gentle, untraceable guidance, but… directly intervening, it’s… I could be banished from heaven until the end of Time,” I murmured.

Tori gripped my hands. “Please, Celeste. No one can know that I’m dead. You have to… to take care of them. Keep them safe. Because now I can’t.” She was right; her light was fading. Bit by bit, her soul was slipping through the ether. “I’m not letting go until I have your word. Take my body as soon as I’m gone. Swear, Celeste!” She squeezed my fingers.

“I… I promise to take over thy life,” I vowed.

“Good luck, Cele�"Tori.” My human’s eyes sparkled one last time, and she was gone. Her body collapsed, and I carefully arranged it back between the bike and the Sedan. I took a deep breath and transferred my essence from my body to Tori’s. My form shimmered and disappeared as I groaned and passed out from the pain that was rushing through my new body.

I woke up in a hospital bed, surrounded by all of Tori’s�"my�"family, as well as Erik. They sobbed in relief when my now-cobalt-blue eyes fluttered open, and I was hugged repeatedly.

That is how I became Tori Lewis.



© 2014 Amber Perry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the whole concept of a soul switch. The Dualism perspective is fascinating. I'd like to know where this story is headed, definitely.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amber Perry

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'll be posting more soon, so just keep an eye out!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014


Author

Amber Perry
Amber Perry

About
I have a million ideas bouncing around in my head, but I haven't finished anything yet. Based on you guys' feedback, hopefully I'll get an idea of what ideas are worth something and what ideas should .. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Amber Perry


Pirates Pirates

A Book by Amber Perry