Bottles at Sunset

Bottles at Sunset

A Chapter by papermush08
"

I just have to drop this mass of reverie before I leave for school:)

"

I didn’t want to wait until the sun sags in the horizon because maybe I grew tired of always watching things ending, I hated sticking with an old-fashion routine when brooding so I decided to return my stuffs inside my bag while the night was slowly engulfing the skies. But just as I was about to stand up, a familiar entity was approaching. He raised his hand in midair; beckoning me to stay where I was sitting. I was torn between refusing because I didn’t want to indulge his overweening easiness with me and staying because I never even admitted to myself that I didn’t like spending time with him.
Either way I was rooted like I was just waiting until he gets to sit with me. I was just staring at him sauntering forward with his hand buried in his pocket, and the other cleverly holding two bottles" of what appeared to be beers" together. Truth is I was never a beer person, I wasn’t one of those who reveled in its bitter taste but I did have the occasional drink like when friend and families were having a merrymaking of course I had to join the ride that I also had my drunken nights.
But this man, forgive him but he’s one of those I knew who couldn’t stand a day without drinking. Aside from the occasional carouse with families and friends, I only had beer when it’s with his company. I could actually decline but it wasn’t nice at all and somehow I did not want him to drink more than a single bottle, well if I can I would really stop him from this unhealthy habit but I was thinking it’s something he got used to in a long time of knowing nothing more than just having fun. This laidback gentleman needed to take life seriously and take care of himself.
“Were you leaving?” he asked as he gave me the beer.
I accepted with a surreptitious reluctance crawling in my veins. When I saw that it was already uncapped. I assumed he saw me here from the beach’s pub he came from and purposely grabbed two beers; we usually drank in bars or in the back of his truck where he’s got everything set for drinking. “Yeah,” I could’ve really told him to stop bringing beers whenever we see each other but I didn’t want to play the part of an overly prim girl.
“Let’s wait ‘til the sun sets and have a little drink.” He invited as he sat down beside me, I kind of tipped aside when our arms brushed. I was totally aware that I liked him but I was not one for taking advantage and that I was nervous to make him notice I was enjoying the closeness.
“Thanks for the beer!”
“Yeah, you’re welcome as always.” He drank up.
I cleared my throat and drank up too. “Did you know I was here?”
“No…well, of course I knew you were so in love with staying in beaches whenever you’re missing. It’s my second time going to this pub here, I was actually going to call you because I felt like an alien there.” He cracked into a contagious laugh and drank up again.
I laughed along in a coy manner and held my beer with both hands.
“It was easy to recognize you…and what were you doing here? You seemed far away again, what were you thinking?”
I sighed, looking at the waves racing and at the seagulls taking flight in the yonder view. “Life.”
“What’s life doing to you this time?”
I was debating whether I confide or not because when it’s about spiritual consciousness, he’d rather sleep the rest of his life than taking it in. I always ended up discussing my troubles and worries but he always ended up giving me those tired eyes. “Same old stuff.”
“Oh, yeah. You’re still not sure what you want in your life or why you’re here. You’re afraid that you might die soon and you haven’t discovered your right path.” He talked like a kid reciting a poem he had to memorize all night.
“Wow, I never knew you’re listening.”
“I’ve listened to a lot of those stuffs. I have a lot of friends so I’ve heard a lot, there were worse than your problem that were"I should admit"annoying, make me want to puke.”
“What?” I started to be a bit pissed off because it was frustrating and disappointing to know that someone repulsed other people’s problems instead of empathizing with them.
“I have other friends who never stop talking about their problems, issues in life, pains that I couldn’t bear with. It’s like an endless, noisy shrill to my ears.”
I shook my head and just watched him as he drank until I couldn’t stop myself from reproaching him. “You’re unbelievable you know that? You act cool all the time and walk around like nothing’s happening around you. You should see that everything around you isn’t easy. I should never have talked to you about what I’m going through because I was just wasting my time.”
“Are you serious right now?” he met my eyes and knitted his eyebrows, and it’s as if I looked like a huge joke to him.
I put my beer aside, forceful enough that it spilled out to the sand. I stood up and looked down at him. “You’re breezy most of the time that I am starting to really consider you as the most insensitive person I’ve known.” I ranted out of my sickening exasperation.
“Perhaps, I’d agree.” He smirked, maybe he was trying not to look pained but I did hope he will learn. “ Well, to be honest I can say a hundred things that I hate about my life but I only allow myself to be sad if the problem’s about you, and seems like it’s the only time when I get to feel.”
I was at a loss for words, I wanted to cringe in shame but I also want to punch him on the face because he was trying to say something more.
“Why do you think I always approach you whenever you seem lost?”
For a moment I couldn’t looked at him straight and just recalled the course of our conversation. He said he’d heard a lot about these exhausting stuffs about life but he only listened to mine that he even accurately reiterated what I always talked about and I was shocked to comprehend that he was saying something special for me.
“Shall we talk about your ‘life’ now? I didn’t just come to deliver you a beer that you only wasted. At least maybe don’t waste our time alone together hating me,”


© 2015 papermush08


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015
Tags: prose, love, feelings, romance


Author

papermush08
papermush08

Cebu, Philippines



About
Nicola An, author of poetry books "The Universe at Heartbeat" and "Soul Song: Poetry and Prose of Awakening to Divine Love" more..

Writing