Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by AJadeLion
"

The prologue/ introduction to what will hopefully become a more successful long-term project than anything I've done before. The kids return for their first day of junior year

"

Chapter One

“I thought your parents were going to be driving.” Genevieve Vahn pulled all five foot two of herself into her friend’s car before collapsing into the seat.  Samantha Vela peered around the front passenger seat.

“They were gonna but then since Brooke already has her year and we already roped Flint into driving the van they figured they might as well just let us go alone. And I mean we’re juniors now, it’s not like we need them anyways.” Right. Genny started to bite down on her bottom lip but caught herself and instead gave Sam an affirmative smile.

“Thanks for picking me up from the hotel B.” Genny fumbled with her seatbelt for a couple of seconds before hearing the click.

“No problem. It’s just you and your dad here Gen?” Genny nodded though she quickly realized that Brooke probably hadn’t seen it from the driver’s seat right in front of her.

“Yeah. I said goodbye to my mom and brothers before we left South Dakota.” She didn’t mention that she hadn’t seen either of her brothers for the last couple of weeks of summer vacation and that her goodbye to her mother had been less than tearful.

“Okay. So, Holly made it to Caitlyn’s house and they’re pretty much ready to go, so we’ll swing by there and then to the school.”

“So it’s the five of us then?” Five teenage girls. What the f**k could go wrong?

“And Flint.” Brooke added, peering into her mirror.

“Flirt with your boyfriend later.” Sam snapped without much malice behind it.

“I’m waiting for him to give me the signal to go.” Whined Brooke tapping her fingers impatiently.

“Oh my God, who let you drive” murmured Genny

“F**k both of you. I am a fully qualified driver.” Brooke raised one beautifully manicured finger as emphasis. Samantha rolled her eyes but gave a small chuckle and laughing Genny relaxed back into her seat as the car began to roll out of the hotel parking lot.  

Brooke and Flint had been dating for about 10 months, however long it had been since Winter Ball, and Genny opinion it had been entirely too long. It had been cute and sweet enough when he asked her to the dance since they were both attractive enough (her more so than him, again in Genny’s opinion) single individuals looking for a good time. It had even made sense for the couple weeks following the dance, giving them each a sense of closure. But beyond that? As far as Genny could tell neither of them seemed to be taking anything meaningful from the relationship for longer than an hour at a time. There were few times when they alone that Brooke wasn’t complaining about Flint’s friends, or personality or clothing or something new. Genny had full confidence that by  the time they arrived at Great Rapids Academy the novelty of Flint using his van to drive all of their stuff would have worn off and Brooke found something else to pick at.

Minutes later both vehicles were coming to a stop in front of a pretty blue house. Caitlyn and Holly were both relaxed on the porch surrounded by their bags.

Holly flung herself in through the door with enough speed to make Genny glad that she had already scooted herself into the middle seat “Genny. How the f**k do you have so much stuff?”

“It’s all my hockey gear. I have to lug around my goalie kit around. It’ll sit in my room for like a month before we start preparing for our first tournament.”

Sam leaned around from the front seat “You don’t even play for the school.”

“The school doesn’t have a girls team.”

Sam tipped her head and gave a slight frown “Technically isn’t it  not a boys team either? Like we have one field hockey team and one ice hockey team and it just so happens that all the girls play field hockey and the boys play ice hockey?”

“I mean, it’s still a boys team. It plays other boys teams.” Genny had had the same conversation with her father enough times to have an automatic retort. Change have arrived at their school but as far as most of the rest of the league, state and country were concerned, change was still coming. A thing for maybe tomorrow but not yet today.

Samantha wasn’t quite ready to quit just yet though “We’ve had girls play before. Last year weren’t there two on varsity? The senior girl and the sophomore? What Shannon?”

Genny shook her head slightly “Shannon was the senior goalie , Natalie is our age.”

“She does pay attention.” Genny could see Brooke’s smile

“Come on, everyone and their mom knows who Natalie Kennedy is.”

“Genny! My girl! I love your hair.” Caitlyn Marvin slid in through the other door, sandwiching Genny between her and Holly.

“Thanks, it’s still new but I think I like it.” Just earlier that week when Genny was preparing to re-dye her hair blonde in preparation for the new year when she’s been struck with the inspiration to do something different. Now, instead of  just a streak of color, she had a base of white with a collection of pastel colors all over.

“Was it a lot of work?”

Genny shrugged as best she could. “Mostly patience. My hair isn’t exactly the best color for dying with ease.”

“I think it’s a great you have a new look for junior year.”


Junior year was going to be better. Junior year had to be better because Charlie had made it out of sophomore year by the skin of his teeth. By the end of the year his goals had plummeted real fast by the end of the year to not flunking out and not killing himself. Junior year would be better. He’d play great hockey, have a near perfect GPA and Goddamn it he’s going to happy while doing it. Mathieu was finally back on his feet, Natalie was having the time of her life and so it had to be time for good things to happen to him.

“You’re awfully chipper for the first day of school.” Natalie yanked a bag free from the the trunk with a groan.

“This is going to be a good year. I’m ready for that.”

“New year.” Mathieu echoed from where he was stacking containers on a cart with methodical care.

“New dorm building” Lucas added, glancing down at his paperwork. “Looks like we’re in one of the smaller two story buildings now.”

“Wait Heisman?” Natalie asked, realization spreading across her face.

“Uh. Yeah, uh huh.”

“Then I’m right above you. Second floor, Heisman.” She held up her own crumpled room assignment paper triumphantly with a wide grin. The last two years the boys had in an entirely separate building from her.

“ See? New year already bringing good things.” Charlie made his way back to the front of car and leaned in “Love you mom, thanks for taking us.”

“Give me a second to get out of the car so I can hug you all properly Charlie.”

“Sorry mom.”

“Thanks Kasey. See you soon.” Natalie wrapped her arms around the woman with vigor.

“Love you sweetheart.”

“Bye mom, love you.”

“Love you too.” Kasey planted a kiss on the top of Charlie’s head as he leaned into her chest.

“Bye, Ms. De Oliveira.” Lucas in turn accepted a hug without hesitation.

“Thanks” It was hard to hear Mathieu but Kasey didn’t miss a beat stepping towards him and use extra care to pull him into a hug.

“Love you.” Mathieu was tensed but didn’t move to pull away and he made sure that she saw his shaky smile.

“We should head over and get checked in before the campus gets super crowded.” Charlie pointed out before blowing one last kiss to his mother.

Lucas tried to place an extra hand on top of Mathieu’s cart but was discouraged by a cold  glare. Natalie sent Lucas a sympathetic smile. She had tried to help Mathieu pack his stuff into the car just earlier that morning  and been on the receiving end of some snapish french cursing.

Crossing through a quad always held the possibility of colliding but navigating through while everyone was trying to carry their stuff was another beast altogether.

“Sorry” Charlie said as he narrowly avoiding slamming into a petite girl with light hair pulling both a cart and a bag seemed to be almost her size.

“Not your fault. I’m a walking hazard.” Charlie mirrored her bright smile before they both started moving again.

Lucas stumbled as Mathieu barreled into him after he slowed his walking speed “Did she have a goalie bag?” Lucas pondered outloud in confusion

“Can’t have. None of the freshmen goalies were girls.” Natalie reasoned simply elegantly twisting her body and dodging another pack of students .

“Boyfriend?” Lucas offered and Natalie considered it but shook her head.

“Maybe” She conceded.

“I don’t think she’s a freshman.” Mathieu argued. “I swear I’ve seen her before.”

“I’d think you’d remember that hair.”

“You can change your hair.” In the last handful of minutes Natalie’s own hair had started to slip bun that she’d put in during the car ride, loose hairs starting to stick to the back of her neck.

“She probably plays field hockey.” Charlie pointed out turning around for the first time and the rest went silent  to contemplate the  theory.

“Probably.” Natalie murmured.

“Field hockey” Lucas echoed flatly without sounding convinced “Yeah. Sure.”

“You guys made it!”

“Maddie!” Natalie cried in delight turning around to hug her roommate.

“Bonjour”

“Dylan!” Lucas called with equal enthusiasm as Mathieu shot back a long string of french that Dylan simply waved an amicable dismissive hand to.

“You like the new building?”

“I’m assuming you had a thing or two to do with this?” Charlie motioned to the third figure with a smile.

Carmen lifted her eyebrow and gave a half smirk “Perhaps”

“And I suppose I have absolutely nothing to do with it?” Dylan and Carmen were in matching school blazers as a show of their responsibilities as class officers.

“Do you want me to answer that?” Carmen was perfectly cool staring down her new boyfriend.

“Oh. Lucas, reminds me, this is for you.” Maddie handed over a manilla envelope with ‘secretary’ written out on it in large curling script.

“Thanks Mads. I would’ve tried to get here earlier but my flight got in late last night and so I got off to a slower start than I meant too.”

“Don’t worry about it Luc. I only bothered to tag along to make sure that Dyl and Carmen didn’t end up murdering each other or anyone else. Literally the only information that what relevant for us was that they wrote new packets for us.”

“Here’s to hoping to a year of uneventful meeting with our dating president and vice president.”

“New year. New couples. “

“New power couple. You going to miss that title?”

“F**k no. I’m freer than a bird and never been happier.”

“No more Tanner?”

“No more Tanner. F*****g ever.” At the end of freshman year Maddie had landed herself a junior football player’s invitation to junior prom. They had been a couple for nearly a full year until Maddie had become fed up with his s**t. The newly single Maddie had a kind of lightness to her that Lucas had almost forgotten about.

“Luc. You still need to check in?” Charlie had wondered his way back over to where they were standing  “Hi Maddie”

“Hey Charlie. Come here” Maddie held her arms open for a hug and Charlie was more than willing to oblige. Their heads collided with a solid thunk and Maddie stumbled back. “Ow?”

“Ow.” Charlie echoed in agreement rubbing his own head. “You okay?”

“Yeah. Wow. We’re good at this” chuckled Maddie sweetly.

“Jesus Christ don’t break each other already.” Dylan remarked from a safe distance

“You’re one to talk. You dropped me on my head in front of one of the biggest ballroom choreographers like ever.”

“That wasn’t entirely my fault, he didn’t teach us the lift correctly. Also you kicked me in the face several times that day.” Dylan had playfully gone into a defensive stance facing his dance partner.

“I think I should probably get checked in. Is Mr. Donoven still our dorm parent?”

“Please, you think I’d let anyone else get assigned to us?” Dylan feigned hurt with a hand over his heart. Lucas chuckled. With as much as Carmen ran the school, it was easy to forget that Dylan was not just a pretty face she kept by her side but also held his own considerate amount of power in the school system.

“Hey Mr. Donoven.”

“Hello Lucas. Welcome back. How was your summer?” Wade Donoven was young and hip in a way that dorm parents didn’t seem to have any business being but Lucas had grown quite fond of the man over time.

“Quiet. Uneventful. I spent most of it in Pittsburgh.”

“With your siblings?” Lucas glanced up from the papers he was signing

“Uh huh”

“Alright, you’re all set. As soon as Dakota and Gabriel get here and checked in I can show you all around.” As if on cue Charlie’s muffled cries of greeting made their way into Wade office. “Well it seems they’ve arrived. Want to go say hi?”

“It’s just the six of us this year?” Lucas asked as he got back to his feet and started for the door.

“Yeah, they really cut back on me. Are you planning on being troublesome?”

“I have been a great dorm child.”

“I mean you are the only one of you six that I haven’t had to visit in the hospital so I’m inclined to agree. Let’s keep that winning streak going Luc eh?”

The girls had disappeared, presumably up the stairs to their section of the dorms. Charlie was chatting amicably with Dakota Hawthorne how was back to back with his best friend and other half Gabriel Gude who was in turn  talking to both Dylan and Mathieu.

“Jesus Christ it’s getting hot in here.” Dylan groaned looking at where the front door had swung closed trapping air in the room with all 9 of them before wiggling to shed his blazer.

“Yeah, we’ll get better climate control in here hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow but since there hasn’t been people living here for so long it’s a bit out of whack.” Mathieu seemed unbothered but Dakota and Lucas stripped down to their shirts in unison. Charlie hesitated for a second before following suit and shyly crossing his arms over his chest, wrists tucked in. Gabriel remained in his sweatshirt staring straight ahead, Dakota gave a gentle nudge in the side but only received a slight shake of Gabe’s head.

“Gabe” Kota started with a soft sigh

“I’m fine.” The two made silently eye conversation for a couple of seconds before Dakota relented.

“So this first room is Charlie’s and Mathieu’s, I’ve already given them their keys but uh Lucas and Dylan and Dakota and Gabe you can fight it out with a game of rock paper scissors or something if you want.”

“I don’t care.” Dakota said cooly, “take whatever. Gabe and I will be fine.” Dylan searched for Lucas’ eyes before responding.

“What’s the difference? Just the window positioning?”

“I think so.”

“Well then you guys really don’t mind I think I’d like the center room and you can take end? Does that work for you Lucas?”

“Sounds like a plan to me. I’m ready to get moved in”

Mathieu laid back onto his lowered bed with a contented sigh. Intimacy was not his thing, explicit affection and nostalgia weren’t his things either. He liked hockey, simple beautiful hockey, crisp sounds and cold air. He like robots and making machines go and seeing the way they worked. He liked expressing affection in small ways, on the ice making sweet hockey, fixing things that belonged to them before they could ask. But f**k, he also loved Charlie and his constant need to care and love and there was no way he’d trade rooming with him for anything. “We’re back.”

Charlie looked up from where he had opened his suitcase and started pulling contents out onto his bed “New year” he smiled, sunshine spilling into his hair from the window above his bed. “I’m damn ready for a new year.”



© 2017 AJadeLion


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on January 15, 2017


Author

AJadeLion
AJadeLion

CA



About
18, a Filipino bisexual anxious field hockey player with a love for photography, fashion, sports, and writing " more..

Writing
Crybaby Crybaby

A Poem by AJadeLion


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by AJadeLion