Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Elle

Chapter 3

 

“You’re the Impress? But you just told me that the castle already has an impress?” I said.

“Yes, it does. She is Impress Naohin. She over threw me, turned my people against me, destroyed my faithful soldiers.” Luia Shai said.

My eyes sparkled. I was in the presence of a impress. “What should I call you then? Your majesty? Your excellence?” I asked.

Luia Shai smiled. “My name is fine.”  We were interrupted by a long, loud growl from my stomach. “You really should eat.” Luia Shai said. “Many dissidents of Impress Naohin were imprisoned in their own homes and died of starvation. We’re lucky to have this food.” She said.

Her words made me feel almost guilty. I was now so hungry that I was willing to eat just about anything. I picked up the bowl of soup, closed my eyes and took a sip. It was cold now, but it tasted flavorful.  It reminded me of chicken soup, with a shrimp-like aftertaste. I was surprised that it tasted so good. I opened my eyes and picked up the isopode creature.

“What do you call this?” I asked. Luia Shai looked at me encouragingly. “It’s a baby lemmex.” Luia Shai said.

“Baby?” I echoed.

“Yes. We’ll get one of the adults sometime soon once I’ve made a substantial weapon.”


I wasn’t ready to know just how big the adults were. I took a bite of the small lemmex and chewed slowly. It tasted a bit like the soup �" slight shrimp flavor mixed with a bit of chicken. It only wet my appetite, so I put the rest of it in my mouth and chewed vigorously.

“It’s actually not that bad.” I said, now putting the bowl up to my mouth and finishing off the rest. Luia Shai went outside and returned with more firewood. She placed the thick branches in the fire place and blew on it until it caught fire. She then placed a couple of other branches and sticks beside the fire to dry them.

 

“Now, if you don’t mind, I’m curious about you.” Luia Shai said. She retrieved two metal cups from a shelf and poured something from a bottle in them. She gave one to me and sat down at the table once more, sipping her drink. 

“What do you want to know?” I asked, taking a swig. It tasted like some kind of fruit juice. There was something almost coconutty about it, along with a hint of licorice.

“Well, I’m a banished impress. What are you?” She asked. I looked down at the contents of my cup. “I’m just a girl.” I began. “I was out with my boyfriend-”

“Boyfriend?” Luia Shai repeated.

“My boyfriend, my true love, my everything. We’ve known each other since we were young.” I said.


“Ah, your betrothed.” She said.

“Yes, close enough.” I took another drink of the juice. It was very tasty and made my mouth water for more. I looked out of the small window, which was covered with snow. Before there’d been faint light, and now, it looked dark. “We were at a dance together. I heard someone calling my name, so I went to go find who it was. I left his sight and went outside. Something came from behind me. Something dark, and the next thing I knew, everything was all black. And when I opened my eyes, I was here �" in this land.” I said.

“Black?” Luia Shai said, recognition in her tone.

“Yeah,” I began, struggling to remember. “Something black came around me and covered me. I couldn’t see, and then, I don’t remember what else happened.”

Luia Shai stared pensively at me. I could see the wheels turning. Suddenly she yawned. She told me that we should sleep now, and I agreed. I was exhausted, even though I’d done very little. She offered me her bed, but I refused, saying I could just as easily sleep near the fire. She laid down her large, fluffy fur coat for me, and I curled up on the floor, bunching a corner of the coat into a small pillow-like bump. Luia Shai blew out all of the candles and got into bed. The inside of the cabin was dark, save for the faint glow coming from the fire, which was slowly fading.

“Grace,” Luia Shai said.

“Yes?” I sleepily answered.

“Tomorrow we’ll find a way into the castle.” Luia Shai said.

I mumbled my approval, and quickly fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt disoriented. My bed didn’t feel right. It felt coarse �" hairy. I opened my eyes and found myself in a small, rustic looking room. I was on the floor. Why was I on the floor?

And then I remembered.


I looked over at the window and saw faint light coming from behind the snow. I wasn’t cold, but I wasn’t warm either. I put my arms through the sleeves and wrapped the whole coat around me. I looked over at the fireplace. There was faint heat emanating from the ashes, but the fire was completely out. I considered starting a new fire myself, but remembered I had no idea how without a lighter.

Luia Shai stirred in her bed, and then sat up. She stretched  her arms out and bade me good morning. She got out of bed and the first thing she did was make a fire. She placed a couple of small branches in the fireplace, and I watched as she took a small stick that looked like white marble, and rested it under the branches and leaves. I watched and saw a small flame erupt from the tip of the stick, and gradually, the branches began to burn.

“Is that some kind of lighter?” I asked her. She smiled at me. I knew she had no idea what I was talking about, and she knew that she didn’t. “It’s a fire wand. It’s the only magical artifact I managed to smuggle out of the castle. It’s come in handy.” She said.


She heated up the rest of the soup, which we ate for breakfast. I was still having some trouble getting the fat worms and the lemmex down, but I was very hungry, so I didn’t fuss much with myself.

Once we were fed, we headed out the door. The brisk, chilly air was like a slap in the face. My dress didn’t cover all of my legs, and my jacket was in no way thick enough for this weather.

“Don’t worry,” Luia shai said. “We’re going to us some better clothes.”

And I followed her through the snow, through the forest, in my flat white shoes. She was wearing boots, however, the top part of my feet were exposed to the snow. My feet were numb within 10 minutes of walking. With each step, my feet were submerged above my ankles. After an hour of walking, we finally found a path to follow. We stayed off the road, and walked not far beside it instead. I held myself as I shivered, trying my best to not collapse. Luia Shai took pity on me and gave me her coat. At first I refused, but she insisted, saying I could use it until I felt warm, and then give it back to her. We would take turns wearing it for the remainder of the trek.


After some minutes, my upper body did feel warm, and in turn, the numbness of my feet and legs lessened considerably. A carriage approached, and we ducked behind a large shrubbery until it passed. We walked for what felt like a few more hours, and came upon a hill. We walked up to the end of the hill and I looked down. The massive view was breathtaking. Before us was a vast circular walled in city. The bricks of the wall were a sandy gold tone. Far in the distance, at the opposite end of the circle, was a tall castle, which was half black, and half white, as if someone hadn’t finished painting it.

“Welcome to the capital of Taraelia.” Luia Shai said in a dead pan tone, which surprised me a bit.

 The houses and buildings within the city all had roofs of different shades.  I noticed that there were some burn marks on parts of the wall and on some of the buildings.

“Are those from some kind of fight?” I said, pointing at the black spots. I saw Luia Shai’s expression change to a grave frown.

“Yes, there was a fight.”

Luia Shai lead me to the farthest end of the cliff, which was thick with bushes and trees, and we slowly made are descend down the steep hill.

“She turn your people against you?” I said.

Luia Shai struggled down the hill, holding on to thin, sideways grown trees and she slipped down the snow. I watched her every move, and did as she did.

“Yes. She had one of her dancers poison their mind.” Luia Shai said. My foot got caught under a rock underneath the snow. I nearly tripped, but grabbed onto a branch and caught myself. Luia Shai looked turned around to check if I was okay. Seeing I was, she turned back around and continued the long descent.

“How did her dancer poison their mind?” I asked.

“Her dancer has a very special, hypnotic ability. She can influence the feelings and beliefs of those who watch her dance.” Luia Shai said.

“And then what? Everyone watched her and now they hate you?” I inquired.

“Something like that. The performances were grand and held at night in the square. She danced every evening until every last person was under her spell. She still dances monthly, to keep the people under her thumb.” Luia Shai said.

We reached the bottom of the hill and were finally on flat ground. There was stay a ways to go before we reached the wall.

“Luia Shai?” I said.

“Hm?” She answered.

“Why are you helping me?” I asked.

Luia Shai’s eyebrows scrunched.

“What wouldn’t I help you?” Luia Shai said.

We were no longer under cover of the trees, and there were no bushes in sight. Luia Shai walked faster and I did my best to keep up with her.

“It’s not like I have much to offer you.” I said.

“That’s not true. And regardless of intentions, I’d still help you. Do good and good will come back to you. Perhaps if I help you, one day, someone will help me?” She admitted.

“How do you know?” I asked.

“Because everything we do is remembered. The universe remembers. Even if no one else is watching, the energy around you always sees you. And if you’re receptive, what you do can come back.” Luia Shai finished. She turned to look at me. Something about her aura became evident to me. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but she seemed so wise beyond her years.

“I hope so.” I said.

We finally approached the wall. There was a small person-size doorway. Beside the door was a statue. It looked to be of a woman, but the face was missing.

“Grace, you’re going to have to knock. If they see me, we would be in trouble. Get inside, and find a way to help me in.” Luia Shai said.

“What? No!” I said.

“Say you got lost, and you’re looking to return to your family �" the Sorafles �" IF they ask.”

“I’m not ready!” I protested.

Luia Shai shook her head and knocked on the door, then hid behind the statue.

The door opened, revealing a man dressed in armor. His eyes, visible through his metal helmet, were crimson red. I froze on the spot. I didn’t know what to do, or what to say.

“Can I help you?” The man said after a moment.

“Uh, yes. Can I come in, please?” I asked. The man glared at me, and my hands shook.

“What business do you have here?” The guard asked, gripping his spear and frowning.

“I-I have some family here. I got lost, but I’ve returned.” I said, my cheeks becoming red.

“And what’s your family name?” He asked.

I gulped. “They’re the Sorafles.” I stuttered.

The man scowled at me and looked me up and down. He decided something in his head, and then stepped aside to let me in. I exhaled a sigh of relief and walked by him. I was inside, and he closed the door behind me. There were guards sitting around a table beside the door. They were playing with cards and drinking from bottles. They looked my way, and I looked down. I thanked the guard behind me, who nodded, and I walked into the road. There was a structure ahead of me nearest the wall, and I heard what sounded like whinnying. I walked down the empty road and came upon a stable filled with many horses. This gave me an idea. I’d never been near horses, but I knew they could be easily spooked. The stable doors were tied closed with ropes. I went to each door and untied the ropes from each. I prayed none of the horses would figure out they could push their doors open, and began tying the ropes together. Once I was done tying the ropes, I examined its length. It wasn’t long, but it wasn’t short either. Now, I had to figure out a way to get up to the wall, without being seen.

There was a barrel beside the stable. I put it on its side and rolled it to a stable and turned it over. I climbed on top of the barrel, and made my way on top of the stable. I looked left and right, to be sure no one was watching. I needed to rush, so I quickly climbed on top of the wall with a couple of heaves. Once on top of the wall, I saw Luia Shai in the distance, still behind the statue. I took the rope and waved it around to get her attention. She saw me and ran to me as fast as she could. I wrapped the end of the rope around my wrist and dangled it down the wall. It was just long enough for Luia Shai to reach. She tugged it, and I nearly toppled over. With all my might, I forced my body to lean back, and pushed myself back with my feet on the wall. Luia Shai, as quickly as possible, climbed up the rope. Once she was on top of the wall, I began to fall backward. Luia Shai caught me around my wrist and I steadied myself.  

She quickly jumped down  onto the stable, onto the ground. I followed her, and we both hid behind the stable to catch our breath.

“That was some quick thinking!” Luia Shai praised.

“Thanks.” I panted. We waited a minute, checking the street from behind the stable, to make sure no one was coming.

I then took the long rope I’d made and without detaching each individual piece, ran it through the ring of each stable to make sure none of the horses got out.

Luia Shai saw a small blanket hanging over a stable door and took it. She wrapped it around her head and covered the bottom half of her face with it.

“C’mon, let’s get moving.” She said. I followed her down the road. We walked at a brisk pace. We turned onto another road, which was populated with pedestrians and people riding horse back. Everyone was wearing either dresses or suits. Some of the people where we were wore ripped up, dull colored clothes. We walked on and turned left, right, straight, left, right. Eventually we came to a place populated by people wearing very clean, very colorful clothing. There were women in dresses, skirts, and shiny shoes. The men were in suits with gold embroidery, similar to what Luia Shai had on. I saw a carriage pass us by, and even the horses were dressed up with ornate metal reigns, and necklaces around their necks. We passed by shops with words written in an unfamiliar language. One shop we walked by had candies, lollipops, and chocolates displayed in the window. My mouth watered. We turned a corner and stopped. Before us was a smooth, yellow house with a brick red roof. Luia Shai grabbed the claw knocker and knocked three times.

Seconds later, the door opened. Before us stood a short, elderly woman with gray hair, which was done up in a bun. She wore a long silk dress, with layers of silk shawls over her chest and shoulders, all each one a different color.

“Yes?” The woman said. “Can I help you?”

“Thurah,” Luia Shai said. “It’s me.” She looked into the old woman’s eyes. Thurah’s eyes widened, and she smiled, wrinkles along her cheeks creasing upward.

“Come, come in!” Thurah said.

We both walked inside and Thurah shut the door behind us. The interior of her house was gorgeous. There were marble book shelves lining the walls, with beautifully colored books. In the center of the room was a couch made of white marble, covered with a red cushion. The table in front of the couch was also marble. There was a spread of cookies and crackers laid out, along with an ornate iron teapot and small cups with steaming liquid.

“Please, please my lady, sit!” Thurah said, gesturing her hand at the couch. Luia Shai sat down, and I sat down beside her.  Thurah sat down in a marble chair opposite us and poured tea into two other cups and offered them to us.

Luia Shai lowered her scarf to reveal the rest of her face.

“Thank you, Thurah. You’re most gracious.” Luia Shai said softly. With the elegance of royalty, I watched her pick up the glass and delicately drink from it. When she had been in front of me, her mannerisms seemed much more familiar. Now, I could see a glimmer of the impress in her.

I did the same, and took a sip of the tea. I set the cup down, and tried my best to remain polite in front of the cookies and crackers. I felt like I was dying of hunger, especially after our long walk.

“May I?” I said, reaching for a cookie.

“Of course, yes, help yourself.” Thurah smiled enthusiastically. I didn’t need telling twice. I took two cookies, and ate the first one in record time, and just as soon shoved the next one in my mouth. Luia Shai, however, looked quite calm.

“Hey, how come you’re not �"“ I began, my mouth still partially full of cookie.

“How come I’m not turning her in?” Thurah said. I nodded, and took a cracker.

“I am descended from sorcerers. I may not have much power myself, but people in my family are not so easily spellbound.” Thurah said with a wink. “And I’m sorry, I don’t believe I caught your name.”

“My name is Grace.” I said, finishing off a cracker.

“If you’ll wait, lunch will be done soon.” Thurah added, watching me grab another cookie. “I’m sure I’ll have room.” I said, and put the next one in my mouth.

Thurah focused her attention on Luia Shai.

“My Impress,” Thurah began.

“Please, call me Lu. We don’t want anyone overhearing you calling me that.” Luia Shai said.

Thurah nodded.

“What brings you here? You know what will happen if you’re caught.” Thurah said.

“I know. But I’m here to help Grace.” Luia Shai said, looking at me.  I gave a half smile.

“Why would you risk yourself for this girl?” Thurah said.

“Because, it is the right thing to do �" and she mentioned she was brought here by shadow.” Luia Shai said.

Thurah’s mouth opened in shock.

“What could Naohin want with her?” She asked.

“Wait, excuse me? What are you talking about?” I said, perplexed.

Luia Shai turned to look at me with a grave expression. “Grace, I believe the darkness that brought you here works for Naohin.”

I clasped my hands together. Why would this evil impress want me?

“Why am I just hearing about this?” I said.

“Because I did not want to scare you. This is serious, and if you are who I think you are, you are in danger.” Luia Shai said.

“And who am I?” I asked, looking from the old woman to the young woman.

“I cannot tell you that now.” Luia Shai said to me, and then looked at Thurah. “I’m sorry, but you cannot know this.”

“I don’t know anything, then.” Thurah said, bringing her hands up.

“There’s something you’re not telling me,” I said.

“There’s much I’m not telling you. Just know that my intentions are clear. I am going to do my utmost to make certain that you get back home safely.” Luia Shai said with a stern air of finality.

“So, what is it that I can do for you?” Thurah said.

“We will be needing clothes to take with us. I’ve been in this dress for long enough.”

Thurah stood up slowly.

“Of course, I’ll get you clothes as soon as possible. But first, would you like to stay for lunch?” She asked.

I nodded excitedly and looked to Luia Shai for confrimation.

“Yes, we’ll eat here.” Luia Shai said more softly. “But we’re leaving when we’re done.”

 

Thurah left us in the living room and disappeared into another room. I heard a door open in the distance, and then I heard Thurah speak. Some others answered, and I heard what I thought was a child’s voice.

Luia Shai reached out and picked up one cookie and began to nibble on it. I knew she must be hungry, and wondered how she could show such restraint.

“We’re going to the castle today?” I asked. Luia Shai finished her cookie and began to speak.

“Yes. We don’t want to waste any more time. We should get you back home as soon as possible.” She said.

I pursed my lips.

“Not that I’m not grateful for your help, but you have other reasons, don’t you?” I pointed out.

“Yes. And I would still help you if I didn’t have other reasons.” She clarified.

“And what are these other reasons?” I asked.

She turned to look at me with a stern expression.

“Not here.” Luia Shai said. I decided to drop it for now. I’d bug her about it later.

Minutes later, Thurah returned  to the living room and announced that lunch was ready. She escorted us into the dining room, adjacent the living room, and we all sat down at the table. Thurah popped away again and returned to the kitchen, I suppose. I looked around the room and saw that the décor was a little different in here. The walls were a deep burgundy. The table and chairs were dark wood, and below us was a soft, black knitted rug. There were china cabinets around us, and a small porcelain figurine on a table. It was a woman wearing a long red robe with gold accents. She also had long black hair, and very pale skin. My eyes bulged when I thought I recognized the statue’s face.

“Luia, that’s you! Isn’t it?” I exclaimed, pointing at the statue. She smiled at me, amused by my outburst.

“Yes, that’s me.” Luia Shai said in a gentle tone.

Thurah returned just then with a platter in her hand. She placed it in the center of the table, and my stomach dropped when I saw what it was. It was a giant roasted lemmex. The one I’d eaten really was a baby then, because this thing was huge. It was bigger than a thanks giving turkey. Its legs weren’t attached though. They’d been cut off and were placed all around its body, which was garnished with purple and blue leaves. I looked at the lemmex’s head. It looked like it had a perpetually angry expression. Its antenna, which I’d barely call antenna, more like antlers, were curled over the length of its body and attached to its read with what looked like a big staple.

Someone else walked into the room. It was a young girl, a little older than me, and she brought in a container of soup and placed it next to the roasted lemmex. She had straight, light brown hair done up in three braids �" two in front and one in back. She looked up at Luia Shai, then blushed and looked back down.

“Grace, Lu, this is my daughter, Jerenel.” Thurah introduced. “It’s nice to meet you.” The girl said in a shy, weak voice.

Next, a little boy came into the room, carrying a bowl of buns. Finally, something I recognized. He looked to be about ten years old. He had a big smile on his face, and casually place the bowl of buns on the table.

I looked to Luia Shai, who was sitting quite properly. My arms were on the table, and hers weren’t, so I removed mine and put my hands on my knees.

“Hello, pretty ladies.” The little boy said, pulling up a chair and sitting next to Luia Shai.

“Hello, and who might you be?” She asked, a twinkle in her eye.

“my name is Bedoro,” the boy said, beaming at Luia. The boy didn’t seem to take much interest in me. Fair enough. I wasn’t an impress, and so I didn’t blame him. Thurah took out some very elegant dishes from the china cupboard and served us all soup. She then took a knife and fork and began cutting into the lemmex. She first cut off its antenna, then, sliced off its head and gave it to me. I looked down at it, its angry, blank, roasted eyes seemed to stare at me. She served the rest their portion of lemmex, and then left the room once again. She returned with a dark bottle, and poured a yellow liquid into five silver goblets. She sat down, and I watched as everyone picked up their lemmex with their hands, and began to peel away its hard outer shell. They pulled out pieces of thick, grey flesh and ate them.  Without looking at the lemmex’s head, I reached inside and pulled out some flesh. I slowly put it into my mouth and began to chew. It tasted fine, honestly. It was like a mixture between shrimp, crab and chicken. I might have enjoyed it more if it didn’t look so disgusting to me.  Bedoro chatted with Luia Shai, and Jerenel shyly attempted to ask her simple questions, like if she was enjoying the meal, and how she’s been living. Luia Shai spoke of her living conditions in a detached way. She sounded as if she didn’t really mind �" or love, living where she did. She made no mention of the cabin nor where it was, just that she lived in a very small, one room place, which had very little.

I gave up on the lemmex. I couldn’t force anymore down. Everyone else had finished theirs, and started on their soup. I did as they did and picked up my bowl and began to drink. It was pure broth. It tasted delicious, and had no hint of lemmex. I was relieved.

 

“This soup is nice. What is it?” I asked. Thurah smiled at me triumphantly.

“It’s Petharen bone broth.” She said. I had no idea what that was, but I knew what bone broth was. I was about to ask what Petharen was, but I thought better of it. I put down my soup and reached for my goblet of yellow liquid. I smelled it. It smelled like yoghurt. I took a drink and my taste buds were met with a semi sweet and sour flavor. It was good, but it tasted like nothing else I’d  ever had.

“This is really good, too!” I exclaimed. Thurah herself put down her bowl of soup and picked up her her own goblet.

“It’s Petheran milk.” She smiled, and took a generous gulp. Now I was curious What was this thing I was eating, and drinking? And how come its milk was yellow?

“What is Petheran?” I asked.

Bedoro rolled his eyes. “You don’t know what Petheran is?”

I shook my head.

“Petheran is petheran.” Jerenel said.

Thurah scrutinized me. “You’re not from around here, are you?” She said. I opened my mouth, but didn’t know what to say. What should I say? Should I tell her where I was from?

“Grace is from another kingdom. They don’t have many Petheran there.” Luia Shai spoke up. I caught her gaze and thanked her with my eyes. Thurah looked to Luia Shai and upon seeing her resolute expression, chose not to probe me any more.

“Yes, I’ve never seen one. Do you have a picture?” I asked.

Jerenel’s eyes brightened considerably. “Yes, I’ll go get it.” She said, and rushed off. She returned to the dining room a minute later with a thick book in her hand. She came and placed the book on the table next to me and began to skim through it. I watched her flick through the pages and saw many images of different types of creatures I’d never seen before. One was a creature that look like a naked goat, but the skin around its head was so long and droopy it looked like it wore a hoodie.

She finally found the creature she was looking for.

“There it is!” She said, pointing at the painting. I took the book and my eyebrows furrowed. It  had a long face that looked almost human, with a round, bean-bag nose. It was hairy and long �" very long. Its body reminded me of a millipede or a centipede, but it didn’t seem to be an insect at all. It was covered in white hair. I counted each row of its short, stubby, fluffy legs. Altogether it had sixteen feet. The end of its body was a short tail. It looked strange to me, but, it didn’t make me feel queasy like the lemmex did.

“That’s so bizarre!” I exclaimed.  Everyone, except Luia Shai, looked at me with raised eyebrows.

From then on, I decided it was probably better if I didn’t say much. We finished lunch and Thurah was kind enough to offer  us baths. She and her daughter fetched buckets and heated up water. After several minutes, the bath tub was full. They offered the first bath to Luia Shai. She declined and said she’d go after me.

I was grateful for that, because I really was starting to smell myself.

 I followed Thurah to the bathroom. There was a large metal tub in the center of the room, filled with steaming water. She showed me a pile of clothes on a nearby table, and pointed to the soap and sponge I could use. Thurah handed me a towel and then left me alone in the bathroom. I undressed and got in. I hadn’t realized how tense I was until the heat from the water began to relax my muscles. The water smelled somewhat floral. I considered dawdling, but thought better of it. My family and Arden were probably worried sick about me. I needed to get back as soon as possible. I took the sponge and soap and scrubbed my whole body. I washed off the suds and then got out.

I dried myself off with the towel. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, so I folded it back up and put it on the table, and then dressed in the clothes she’d given me �" a two piece black satin outfit, lined in a thin layer of fur. I carried the boots and socks out with me and returned to the living room where Luia Shai and Thurah were.

Luia Shai eyed my with a smile.  Thurah walked out and she and her daughter worked together to empty the tub and put fresh water in it. I sat down on the couch next to Luia Shai and put on my socks and boots and watched as Thurah and Jerenel walked back and forth with buckets of water.  I caressed my soft satin pants. I was glad to be out of my dress and in something much warmer.

Luia Shai eventually left to take a back, and Thurah suggested I busy myself with a book. I asked Jerenel for the book she’d shown me earlier, and flipped through the pages as I waited. It was written in a language I didn’t understand, but the pictures were nice enough to look at. Taraelia had a lot of strange looking creatures, unlike anything I’d ever seen before. But, they also had a lot of creatures I was familiar with.

Luia Shai finished her bath and came out wearing  A dark red blouse and black satin pants and boots. Satin seemed to be a favorite of people here.

Thurah gave me a thick brown coat, similar to Luia Shai’s, and some pouches with snacks, money, and water.

We thanked her, and her family, and bade them farewell. Luia Shai put a black scarf around her head an over her face, and we both stepped out of the front door and headed for the castle.



© 2017 Elle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on November 15, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017


Author

Elle
Elle

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Elle


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Elle


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Elle