The Dance of LIfe- Edvard Munch

The Dance of LIfe- Edvard Munch

A Story by Riley Mistwood

 Excerpt from Amy Gonzalez' Art Assignment

6-07-2009

ENC-1101

A pale, almost white moon illuminates the sea and sets the stage for a dance upon the deep green grassy shore. Moving to a melody only the painter can hear, the circle of figures represent the stages of human life. The focus becomes set upon the three female figures visible in the foreground of Edvard Munch’s painting The Dance of Life. Each female figure seems to represent a single stage in life, beginning, middle, and end. The first female figure dressed in a flowing white and yellow gown expresses purity and innocence. Illustrated by her rosy red cheeks, golden flowing hair, and pink lips, she exudes a youthful appearance. A shade of deep pink and blooming, the flowers suggest a sense of young life, a life which is new to the world. Resembling a young child, she reaches for the flowers which grow only at her side. Beside the youthful female dances a male figure with a greenish pallor and hallowed face which gives off an aura of evil and temptation. Her long blonde hair and soft features suggest the second female figure to only be a few years older than the first (middle stage of life.) Rigid, and dripping in her blood red dress she dances with the ghostlike older looking male. Inexperienced and unknowing of any ill intent or danger, she allows the male to lead her in his dance. Skeletal facial features , pale and pasty looking skin, reveal the third female figures older age representing the final stages of life. Draped in a matronly black gown, she goes unnoticed by the other dancers. Staring blankly at the two female figures, as if wishing for a life past long ago, she reflects a sense of mourning. Filling the gaps between the three female figures and continuing the cycle of life, the remaining dancers are visible. Framed by the deep blue sky, the dancers appear destined to repeat the dance of life for all eternity.

© 2012 Riley Mistwood


Author's Note

Riley Mistwood
This is an exerpt from an essay I wrote for my english class Edvard Munch and a few of his paintings.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
Highly descriptive with good word selection and adjective usage. Highly visual to the point that I could see that yielding figure in the red gown found in his painting. I could even sense a touch of his Madonna. A very nice read that was sincerely enjoyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Riley Mistwood

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

466 Views
1 Review
Added on November 19, 2012
Last Updated on November 19, 2012

Author

Riley Mistwood
Riley Mistwood

Miami



About
Books are where I can dream, where I can become anything or anyone my heart desires. more..

Writing
Happy Happy

A Poem by Riley Mistwood


Warrior Warrior

A Story by Riley Mistwood