Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by DeePayne
"

– After Death –

"

When life has cut too deep and left you hurting

The future you had hoped for is now burning

And the dreams you held so tight lost their meaning

And you don't know if you'll ever find the healing

"The Sun is Shining"

Britt Nicole

 

 


Life is, but a passing shadow. People didn't know when their time would end. Thinking about it"time is the greatest thief of all. The only thing we could do is keep on walking forward, moving forward and live life to its fullest. It's a different kind of 'You Only Live Once' but it is better than looking at the lowering coffin of your dearest dead mother, right?


Elliot struggled to keep her eyes blank and clear, as she stared at the white casket where her mother's lifeless body laid. With her head raised high and tears held back, she clasped her father's hand with her trembling one. The priest's reassuring voice came muffled in her ears while her last moment with her mother replayed in her mind.


"Don't worry about your father and me," her mother had said. "We just need communication, that's all."


       Elliot nodded and hugged her mother tight.


       "Wilson will pick you up after practice."


       "Yeah, mom."


       "Oh, and Elliot?"


       Elliot faced her mom with raised eyebrows.


       "I love you."


       This made the young girl's lips tug at the side. "I love you too."


       Elliot then turned around and walked to the double doors of the academy knowing that her mother's car won't drive away until she reaches inside-where she's safe.


       The memory just kept on repeating in Elliot's mind like a broken record, her mother's melodic voice so sweet and assuring. Now, the thought only sounded haunting"more of a sorrowful farewell than a heartfelt greeting.


       How could it be that only hours after that, mom's car crashed? Elliot thought. They didn't even have a chance to make-up after their worthless fight.

       She stole a side-glance at her father, who had his head bowed with dark tinted shades over his eyes.


       Michael's brown locks grew long over the past week that they almost covered his forehead. The unshaven stubble on his chin and sideburns told her that for once, he didn't care if he looked presentable or not. She knew without looking through those glasses that his eyes were puffy and red from crying.


Before Elisa's death, no one would have suspected that Michael Rosenfield would cry. In fact, Elliot never saw the man shed a tear. Yet could the death of our dearest one unleash the vulnerable part of even the strongest of men?


They both had been stressed over the week, but Elliot's father is getting the worst of it. He's spending most of his hours in his office and reporting at the station while in the middle of dinner. Just to continue searching for the man who caused his wife's death.


       Elliot chocked back a sob and her walls broke for"she lost count already. Her tears came rolling down her cheeks for another time.


       Two men appeared from somewhere and stopped by her mother's hole. Each had a shovel in hand to fill the hole with dirt.


       Elliot squeezed her father's hand, just as the speaker patted his father's shoulder in reassurance.


       "Thank you, father." Michael's voice sounded rough and broken.


       Elliot blinked and turned her tear stained face at her father.


       Those were Michael's first words, three days after Elisa Rosenfield's death.


       Little did they know that a few meters away from the burial stood a shadow with a smug smile on his vengeful face.



© 2015 DeePayne


Author's Note

DeePayne
reviews would be nice :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok, first chapter. The beginning is well layed out and the set up flows clearly. The first paragraph is a mite muddled and needs a bit of clarity...thinking about time"is the greatest theif of all. Needs filler, moulding, a bit in place of " like Even thinking of time plays into the old addage Time is the greatest thief of all....or something like that so I dont have to mentally leap into the next bit without footing. The at least you dont know what its like to see your mothers casket bit. Could use some rewording so as to strike the eye the way you want it to. Opinion here btw. No offense to your art which is swimming along nicely. At the center during the description of the father sayingdoes losing OUr dearest so on and so forth, the our implies one you are a man and two a strong man and though they may both be true the readr is reading not a narrative where you are in play but a story about the charaqcters themselves in that world and not ours as well, I think, and it also implies the readers are all strong men too and Im sure your audience includes women yeah? Mom's hole sounds a little like moms vagina and a dead womans vagina isnt the picture youre heading for am I right there? Anyway, good writing and thanks for letting me read it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


A great read. I could easily empathize with the characters and the last line gave an interesting twist to it. I want to keep reading now.
Keep on writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


DeePayne

8 Years Ago

Thank you :) I'm actually about to post the next chapter :D
This is a really good chapter! I really liked the last line, the way it made me want to read on! :) Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


DeePayne

8 Years Ago

Thanks :) this really means a lot to me
That was really good. It feels as if your'e a naturally good writer :) I loved the last line as it draws you in to want to read on. It's amazing how you've already managed to develop characters just in the prologue. I'm already looking forward to reading on!

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
DeePayne

8 Years Ago

thanks so much :D i really appreciate it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 18, 2015
Last Updated on June 19, 2015
Tags: death elisa elliot funeral micha


Author

DeePayne
DeePayne

About
Seated quietly in a corner face covered by her long dark hair. Dark brown eyes hovering over words of a book, which is probably balanced by one hand while the other eagerly waiting to turn the page. A.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by DeePayne


Nightblade Nightblade

A Book by DeePayne