Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Andrew Frame
"

The enemy now holds as captives the whole of the Greatwind line, though some don't know they're new title. Learning the truth will send each in a different direction.

"

Chapter 6

The Greatmage dissected the bloody slab before him with sharp precision. The juices from the pink meat soaked into his mouth when he bit down on it. He sipped his drink between bites. The red firewine in his jeweled goblet looked just as bloody, and the warmth of it ran down his throat after the bitter, oaky, and barely fruity flavors subsided in his mouth. He normally sat alone while he dined, collecting his thoughts and enjoying the peace and quiet. The flames he had kept bottled up for so long made him feel irritable and useless. But on this morning, his mood was so fine that he invited his newly arrived allies into the bowels of Leonia. He met them at the fiery tunnel and led them to his table to feast and imbibe. Some men ate their meat slower, preferring a more well-done cut. They all drank their wine as if it were water. It made them feel as burnt up as if a fire surrounded them. The news that had come in was good, and the Greatmage was eager to discuss it. He sopped up some of the juices on his plate with a piece of crusty bread and washed it down with wine before starting.

“I’m glad we’ve all finally convened. It’s been nearly a year since we could all be in the same room,” he said cordially.

“Business at Scorchfort has kept us,” Bastion said, chewing on a chunk of meat.

“As it should, cousin,” the Greatmage said. “Scorchfort is perhaps our most important locale aside from the capitol. Its necessity should never be understated.”

“Don’t let the wind mages hear that,” Jannish D’Urian said. “They still like to think Windhaven is integral.”

Everyone was silent for a moment, but once the Greatmage began chuckling, the rest of the group followed suit. The only two who did not laugh were Ayorro and Arroyo. One was stationed at the door while the other stood at his master’s side. They scanned the group over, moving from face to face. The Greatmage trained them to never trust the most trusted of allies.

“The wind mages have been good, obedient allies. They are an important part of this puzzle,” the Greatmage said. “The more of them we have, the further our fires can spread. And the deeper that is ingrained in their minds, the easier they are to mold.”

“Some of them are still non-believers, skeptics,” Jannish said.

“Fools,” Skalla Antrum piped up from the end of the table. She hadn’t touched her meat, but was on her third glass of wine. “Guyanno will be made example of, and all the remaining fools will learn to bite their tongue.”

“Soon I will master the power to make them believe, lest they burn from within. My son destroyed nearly all the remaining skeptics in the Hillands,” the Greatmage said. “And he has brought us Guyanno’s wife and daughter, is that not true?”

Antaleone realized his father was staring directly at him. He kicked himself out of a daze. “We returned only last night.”

“I still think it wise to separate the family,” Jannish said.

“Yes, yes,” the Greatmage agreed. “The daughter… what is her name?”

“Zephyra,” Jannish said. “A girl of fifteen.”

“She will return to Scorchfort with Bastion,” he decreed. “I cannot afford to have any wind adepts here catching word of what was done in the Whisperwinds by our very own Antamage. They will demand the girl be returned. She is the most innocent, and therefore the most important. Scorchfort if a place of fire, wreathed in flames never moved by the winds of our allies. She will be a fly on the wall there.”

“And the boys?” Skalla asked.

“Alheena has requested they be left in her charge.”

“That would explain her absence,” Skalla said, looking at the empty chair to her left. “You think your daughter is fit to quell the wild winds of two boys whose father, mother, sister and grandfather we all hold prisoner?”

The Greatmage stared across the table at his deceased brother’s widow. “What would you have me do?”

“Place them in cells, away from her… impulsiveness. She is known to have a short fuse, and snap at the slightest pressing. These boys will have words, ones she will not want to hear.”

“Alheena is my daughter,” the Greatmage seethed. “And these traits you speak of come from me. We will speak no more of this, lest my impulsiveness rear its ugly head.”

“Father,” Antaleone spoke up. “Perhaps Bastion should present his scouts’ findings.”

All heads again turned to their Greatmage. “Of course,” he said casually.

“Aside from attempted interference by a plump engineer in Boltown, all of our scouts were able to move across the countryside and into and out of Lightwater’s towns and villages without consequence. They were even greeted in some instances.”

“Fools, the lot of them,” said Craxell before biting into a hunk of meat he held crudely in his greasy hands.

“Lightwater’s citizens,” Bastion continued, “and many of its adepts, are fools. But they are kind fools, oblivious to any possibility of danger. They live in peace and quiet, and lead simple lives similar to those of our friends in the Whisperwinds, albeit with the occasional luxury and pleasure. Defenses do exist, and they have their own scouts and forts, some of which are significant, which could pose threats.”

“What of Lightning Bay?” Skalla asked.

“I didn’t dare send scouts into the beating heart of our enemy,” Bastion answered.

“Wisely,” Jannish said. “Lords Constance and Venyo may have left their outlying towns lightly defended, but let none of us mistake that for weakness. Water and light are strong, and together, formidable. They are cunning, and�"”

“Enough, Jannish,” the Greatmage interrupted him. “Tell me what other information I need to know, and tell it to me quickly, Bastion. These reports are excellent, and your thoroughness is commendable. But time is of the essence, as always.”

“Lightning Bay,” Bastion said with an assurance in his voice, “is ready to fall. We need no scouts to know that. We have our man on the island still, I trust?”

The wide smile that crept across the Greatmage’s face was soon mirrored by everyone around him, save his royal guards. The Greatmage finished his wine in a final gulp and came to his feet. His subjects remained seated, and they gazed at him in anticipation and fear.

“Deep inside the fort, he is, a flame I can spread or extinguish however I see fit. In a week’s time,” the Greatmage said, clearing his throat, “our former greatest ally of the wind will no longer be with us. It is my great honor to name my cousin, Bastion Antrum, new Highmage General upon the launching of our offense.”

The clapping came and went quickly. It was expected, but never overindulged.

“Your mother and father would have been proud,” Skalla said. Bastion nodded, silent.

            “Bastion,” the Greatmage continued. You will leave immediately after Guyanno’s condemnation with the Greatwind girl in tow, and you will see to the completion of our preparations. The caravan will not be far behind. It is a long road. My son will lead the march to Scorchfort. And I could soon fly to the Shadow Islands to barter an alliance.”

            “The Shadow Islands?” his son asked. “You are leaving Leonia?”

            “The fires haven’t made it clear yet, but if the darkness is ready to spread, I will offer it the fuel it needs. I will fly to Scorchfort once done, and I will personally lead our march west from there. I intend to strengthen our forces as much as possible.”

            “But those islanders can’t be trusted, father,” Antaleone said.

            “Have you begun your studies of Leone’s Tome yet, boy?”

            Antaleone knew his eyes were empty. There was no use in lying. “Not thoroughly.”

            “Perhaps you should. The lessons are unbelievable, and invaluable. Fire does not only burn. It also melts. A man’s mind can melt. I intend to mold those exiled and isolated islanders just like the poor men of the wind.”

            “Yes, father,” Antaleone said.

“Who will take charge of the city?” Skalla asked. “In your absence.”

“Surely you, my dear lady,” Jannish said. Skalla looked over the slimy man and then grinned, under the impression that he had to be right. Skalla just asked to be certain.

“Jannish, you will sit on my throne as we make our moves. The city will belong to you from your temporary seat in Undershadow. You’ll have the same duties as always, but more power to wield. You are all dismissed. Prepare yourselves accordingly.”

“How can you eat this… raw meat?” Gustavo asked his younger brother.

“It’s not raw. It’s rare,” Samiel answered after taking some time to finish chewing and swallowing his mouthful. “You should learn to enjoy it. That’s how it’s prepared here.”

“But that’s not how I like it.”

“It doesn’t matter what you like.”

They fell into silence again, as they did so often these days. They had been so close, for so long. Only sixteen months separated them. That could have resulted in a disaster of constant head-butting and one-upmanship. But they were both mature for their ages, perhaps too mature. Growing up together in Windhaven and then Leonia, under the watchful eyes of their parents and then just Guyanno, helped keep them together the way brothers should be kept together. Gustavo was smart and resourceful and resilient. Samiel was quick and strong and brave. The older brother took after his mother, tall and lean with sharp facial figures and dagger-grey eyes. Guyanno gave his square jaw and short and squat figure to Samiel. One may have never guessed they were brothers if it weren’t for their identical smiles. Their lips were slim, and they disappeared when they smiled, and they framed their large teeth with their slight overbites.

They both noticed that neither smiled much anymore. Gustavo would have been the one to say something, but Samiel was quick to put out any topic of conversation his brother started. The talks they had were short, and never agreeable. Gustavo hated his living situation. Alheena Antrum as a caretaker was strange. She was kind enough to them, but there seemed to be very little actual care going on. It was rare that she talked to the brothers as if they were of any significance. Samiel, on the other hand, was comfortable. He spoke highly of Alheena, and rarely of their father. Gustavo missed him, dearly, and imagined every few minutes just how wonderful their reunion would be.

“Father should return in a week,” Gustavo said, pushing his plate away to the center of the table and lifting his water to take a sip. It was warm, as always.

“Mmm,” Samiel said, sipping at his lemon tea. He only took in a little bit. It was still steaming, and as much as Samiel wanted to, he couldn’t quite handle the heat.

“Don’t you miss him?”

“Of course.”

“It doesn’t much seem like it.”

“The Greatmage needs him. Father has a duty to the Blazelands and Whisperwinds, for the better of all. That is most important. Duty.”

“Hmm…”

“What?”

“Isn’t it interesting? When water and light came together, they created a new realm, and called it Lightwater.”

“So?”

“Why are the Blazelands and Whisperwinds still divided?”

“Because of the Great Chasm, stupid.”

“No, not physically. Why not… Blazewinds? Sometimes it seems we aren’t united.”

Samiel only rolled his eyes, and then sipped at his tea again before returning back to his meat. He paid no mind to anything, not even the key slipping into their door outside and the finagling of the knob. Gustavo knew it was Alheena, as it always was at this time, but he still perked up and listened like a guard dog. She entered to a bitter glare as he watched her move across the room, her robes trailing long behind her.

“Still no fruit? Grapes or oranges from Whisperwinds?” Gustavo said when she came to the table and took a seat between them. “I asked you again yesterday.”

“I know what you asked me,” she said. “You are to eat this.”

“It’s disgusting.”

“I’ve told you countless times. It’s what the people of the Blazelands eat in the morning. It’s what makes them strong.”

“My father never eats this. We have real meals. Why can’t you bring us them?”

“How strong was your father?” Alheena slipped.

Gustavo squint his eyes at her. “Was? My father is the strongest man I know.”

“Indeed,” Alheena said with a very convincing but very fake smile. “I misspoke. Your father is a strong man. He is a great mage, the most excellent of all the wind mages.”

Gustavo still looked at her curiously. He pressed further. “Why do you lock us in here?”

“It is only during the night, angel. The world is a dangerous place, even in the capitol of the Blazelands.”

“Blazewinds.”

“What?” Alheena said, this time narrowing her eyes.

“Nothing,” Gustavo conceded. “But there are guards posted all the time now. Why?”

“Remember also that you are still a child.”

“I will be twenty soon.”

Soon is not now. Twenty years is not enough to be a man in this part of the world. You must be kept safe. There are still non-believers out there.”

“Thank Tempestia.”

Alheena’s eyes shot open in shock.

“Just stop, Gus,” Samiel finally said. He had nearly finished his tea while they talked, the heat finally low enough for him.

They both ignored him. Alheena leaned forward and narrowed her eyes as she looked into Gustavo’s. “You thank Tempestia that there are still non-believers? Do you take my father as a fool and think everything our ancestors have done is in vain?”

“I know that your fires could never spread the way they have without wind.”

Alheena scoffed at that. “You have quite a mouth for a helpless little runt.”

Gustavo, usually in check of his emotions, was near ready to snap. “My father will hear about this, and he’ll take us back to Whisperwinds.”

Alheena’s grin formed slowly, and she got to her feet. “No, he will not. The winds no longer blow in your favor, child.”

“Wind forever blows at the backs of those who follow Tempestia.”

“GUS!” Samiel shouted, and when both turned to look at him they were shocked to see the fury on his face, the fire in his eyes. “Stop being so disrespectful. I don’t want to go back to Whisperwinds. I like it here.”

“Without father? Or mother? Or Zeph?” Gustavo asked him, ignoring Alheena for a moment. He could see the sudden conflict in his eyes. He wondered if his brother still felt it.

“Father has important duties,” was his answer again, in a softer voice. The fire was gone from his eyes, as was the color from his face.

“That is right, young one,” Alheena said.

Gustavo ignored her again and left his eyes on his brother. “I don’t think he does. He never used to lock the doors at night.” Samiel looked up and met his brother’s eyes. “He never left without saying goodbye to fulfill his… duty. He wouldn’t do that. He couldn’t.”

Samiel nodded, and then looked up over his brother’s head at Alheena. Gustavo turned around and looked up at her, too. “Where is our father?”

Alheena paused. “He is at the Scorchfort.”

“Stop lying, you fiery witch!” Gustavo shouted while he stood, turning and knocking over his chair all in one fluid motion.

“Your father is set to die!” Alheena shouted back, and Gustavo stopped dead in his tracks. Samiel sat still, silent, void. “He was a non-believer. He was a fool, and in a few days he’ll be condemned into the Great Chasm and you will never see him again!”

“Why?” Samiel asked, and his voice was like that of a little boy whose puppy died.

            “Because he didn’t eat his meat!” Alheena yelled, and the fire rose in her chest.

            Samiel pushed his chair out and stood up. He turned and he walked from the table, into the bedchamber he shared with his brother. He shut the door softly. Gustavo looked back at Alheena. She was backing up slowly, edging closer and closer to the door.

            “Your father is lost. Your family is broken,” she said, opening the door and standing at the threshold. “Your lands are useless. Your lord is insignificant. Your goddess is weak. And your wind is only a tool for the greatest of men, the greatest of elements… fire.”

            As tempted as Gustavo was to run and tackle Alheena, to choke the very life out of her, he just stood still and watched her leave. He didn’t know which door to go to first. The pull to chase down Alheena, to get to the door before she locked it from the outside, was great. But Samiel was in the bedroom, alone, sad, scared. Gustavo knew he had to be there for his brother, no matter how different he had acted recently. He left the table and walked towards their room. He reached for the knob, for his brother, for his blood. It was locked.

            Zephyra had done little but cry since she woke in their chamber. Gale wanted to do the same, to join her daughter in her feeling of helplessness and fear, but she knew it was more important for Zephyra to see her mother stay strong in the face of danger. Neither of them knew exactly where they were. But Gale knew enough about Leonia to figure that’s where Antaleone had brought them. She had heard enough stories over the years to recognize these thick stone walls. Dozens of feet of dirt and more stone was all that surrounded them. For a region called the Blazelands, an alienated world of fire and blood, the deeper parts of Leonia were surprisingly cool where fires didn’t roar. The fire mages dug deep for centuries, and still continued to do so today, though predominantly in the more remote parts of the land. If it weren’t for the fires kept blazing night and day, Gale knew they’d be shivering. They couldn’t be far from Undershadow. She wondered if their Greatmage would be kind enough to pay them a visit.

            Their chamber was well furnished. They had a room in which to bathe, a large bed to sleep in, and more amenities than Gale ever thought prisoners should be allowed. She wasn’t sure if they were being pampered out of respect and kindness, or to make their last few days as comfortable as possible before their journey into the afterlife. Comfort was only physical, however. In her heart and her mind, she was in tremendous pain. The uncertainty of everything stretched her stress level to its limit. Sleep was nearly impossible, and she could only nibble at the harsh Blazelands foods before she felt nauseated.

            Zephyra stayed curled up on her bed, quiet and lifeless, unless she was sleeping or crying. It took all of Gale’s strength to stop from screaming out with all her might and pounding on their locked doors until her fists were bloodied. She wanted answers. She deserved answers, she thought. As the wife of one of the strongest and most respected men in the entire line of mages, she wanted to talk to someone of importance. At the very least, she wanted reassurance that the rest of her family was okay. She hadn’t received a letter from Guyanno in some time. And while it was possible for him to be too busy or too far away, sent on some mission by his Antamage or Greatmage, she always had an uneasy feeling each time a bird flew overhead without landing with some message about her husband. Her sons, as far as she knew, were somewhere in Leonia, perhaps even in a nearby chamber. Were they safe, or were they prisoners, too? Were they even aware that their mother and sister were so close to them?

            Gale woke on this morning with a start. She figured she had only been asleep for an hour, having spent many hours prior tossing and turning, her mind racing with countless questions and concerns. She wasn’t even certain it was really morning. It may have been the dead of night. There were no windows and no natural light, and the meals were always plates of meat, usually poorly cooked. Breakfast was the same as dinner, and all of it was garbage in Gale’s mind. She sat up and looked over to Zephyra’s bed. She was asleep, heavily it seemed, and her chest slowly moved up and down as her eyes fluttered. Dreaming, Gale thought. I wonder what about? Freedom, to be sure.

            Gale got to her feet and, wrapping a shawl over her exposed shoulders, crossed the cool stone floor out into the main room. There was a fireplace in the far corner. It had a constant roaring fire in it, dancing flames and smoke that rose up and up and out of Leonia through one of its countless grates at ground level. No firewood was ever put in their hearths. Fire mages gave the flames life the first time they came to deliver food, and they strengthened it upon each visit after. It hadn’t come near to dying, not even once. She stood in front of it and leaned over a bit, moving her hands closer to the heat, holding them open as if she were pushing against a heavy door before rubbing them together vigorously. Behind her she heard the now familiar sound of a key in the door. She turned to see the knob jiggling, but turned back to look at the fire instead of having to see the guard and his tray of unpleasant food.

            “Just leave it on the table,” Gale said softly into the fire. She listened as the door closed behind her, quicker than usual. There were no heavy footsteps, and no clattering at the table. Had the guard whose eyes lingered too long on her and Zephyra finally given in to his base desires?

            “Gale,” a woman’s voice said behind her.

            She turned and saw Alheena and Skalla Antrum, standing on either side of a man Gale didn’t recognize, tall and sinewy but still intimidating, probably from his deep-set eyes and hard facial features. “Alheena… Skalla… what is�"”

            “We came to answer all your questions,” the man said. “Please, sit with us.” He indicated towards the table with his hand.

“Who are you?” she asked. While she had previous brief relationships with Skalla and Alheena, she didn’t even trust them just now. This man was a complete stranger.

“My name is Wyland Ness. I work in service of the Greatmage and serve as Lieutenant of Scorchfort. I’ve been sent to make sure the right things are said in the right manner. Please, sit.”

The ladies took seats, and Wyland walked over and pulled out a third chair, glaring at Gale, waiting for her to take it so he could push it in. She knew she had very little choice. The more she cooperated, perhaps the more she could learn.

“Would you like something to drink, miss? Perhaps firewine? I could call for some.”

“No, I’m fine,” Gale said before clenching her mouth shut. Cooperate, she remembered. “Thank you, though… Wyland, was it?”

“Yes, my dear.”

“Why have you come?” she asked, trying to relax and act more like she was with friends.

“Our hearts were heavy when we learned you had been brought here in such a fashion, without having choice,” Skalla said, looking at Alheena. The younger woman nodded in agreement. “It sounds a bit brutish.”

“It took much convincing for my father to even allow us to visit you,” Alheena told her. “How is Zeph?” She looked around for the young girl.

“Asleep,” Gale said, cringing at the nickname Alheena had used. “She is scared, I think.”

“Are you, Gale?” Wyland asked. “Are you scared?”

“I’m… uncertain.”

“We have come to make sure you are most certain, about everything.”

Gale just nodded. She didn’t like the sound of that one bit.

“Gus and Sam,” Alheena said. “I’m sure you’re wondering about your boys. They are doing well. I just finished breakfast with them. I’ve been caring for them in Guy’s absence.”

Gale noticed Skalla look at Alheena, unsure. “Absence?”

Alheena looked back at Skalla, and then both women looked at Gale with pain in their eyes. It was Wyland who answered her question. “Guyanno has been exposed as a non-believer and a sinner in the most disgusting way. He is a captive in the dungeons, void of the amenities you and your family have. In a few days’ time, he will be delivered into the Great Chasm to suffer whatever fate the depths of the earth have in store for him.”

“A sinner?” Gale asked. She could see the pain and pity in the women’s eyes, but Wyland was emotionless. He just nodded at her, finding it so easy to believe.

“His mind is not fully invested in our cause.”

“And that is a sin?”

“Gale,” Alheena said. “I consider you a good friend, a strong woman and mother. But Guy has been… unfaithful. He… he forced himself on me, many a time, for quite some time.”

Gale felt her jaw drop down, and her heart fell with it. These people had abducted her and Zephyra and kept them locked away for what must have been close to a week without any word of what was happening. Why would she believe them now? Guyanno may have been a non-believer in their eyes, but Gale knew that was really another way of saying he had his own thoughts, progressive ones that he thought but never executed. Guy really hadn’t done anything wrong, except in the narrow minds of his accusers. Alheena was just trying to cover her father’s sudden and unfair scorn.

“I don’t believe that, Alheena. My husband would…” Gale trailed off as Alheena stood. The look in her eyes was enough to stop talking. Alheena pulled her robes tight in a bunch at the back and held them there with one hand, then used her other hand to rub her belly, showing an obvious bump that had never existed on her previously thin but curvaceous body.

“I know it’s tough to hear, Gale,” Skalla said as Alheena retook her seat. “But knowing the truth will make it easier to say goodbye and watch the condemnation.”

Watch?”

“That is why you have been brought here,” Wyland said.

“Just to watch my husband die?!”

“It will be a cleansing experience,” Alheena said.

Gale pondered on that, but only for a moment. “I don’t need to be cleansed. Please. Just let us return to Whisperwinds, me and Guy and our children, and we won’t make any noise. We will live on our own, far from the rest of the world.”

“Aren’t you upset your husband raped me and has a b*****d growing inside me?” Alheena asked, her eyes narrowing.

“Guy and I will work all that out. He doesn’t deserve to die for hurting me.”

“Indeed,” Wyland said. “He deserves to die for defying the will of the Greatmage, your Greatmage, the reason your lands and people are safe and free.”

Gale glared at Wyland. “I am not free. We are not safe.”

“You will be if you cooperate,” Skalla said, not wanting Gale and Wyland to continue. “You and your children will be cared for.”

“Where? Here?”

“Yes. War is nearly upon us, and while Whisperwinds will likely remain unscathed, there is no safer place than Leonia.”

Gale’s eyes began tearing then. Her throat was all but a lump. “But once Guy is gone…” she barely vocalized, “what use am I? My children?”

“It is the will of my father,” Alheena answered coolly.

“What about the will of the innocent?” Gale said, finding her resilience.

“That will be all,” Wyland said, and he leaned back in his chair. “We must go.”

“When will I see Guyanno?” Gale asked quickly, desperately.

“The morning of his condemnation,” Wyland answered.

“Mama,” Zephyra’s voice came from the bedroom doorway. Gale turned to look at her, and didn’t know which expression to give, so her face remained blank. Zephyra looked at each of the three visitors in turn.

“Hello, dear,” Alheena said.

“Bless Tempestia, you’ve grown,” Skalla said.

Wyland stood, leaving his chair a few feet from the table. He began walking around the sitting area, his eyes locked on Zephyra. “You are indeed an angel, as I’ve been told.”

 The girl stood frozen. Gale popped up and placed herself in Wyland’s path.

“I’d like for you to leave now,” Gale said softly, locking eyes with him.

Wyland’s wide smile sickened her like no smile had before. “Only after I introduce myself. It would be rude of me not to, Gale.”

He sidestepped Gale, and all she could do was turn and watch him approach Zephyra. The girl was only a little over half Wyland’s height. Still, he extended his hand to her as if she were an adult, an equal. She did the same, and felt the mandarin garnet set in his hand, pulsing out heat and instantly warming her hand. Gale was proud of her manners, but only for a moment before wanting to tear the two apart and shove Wyland out of the room. But that would be unwise. Whatever leverage she still held had to remain intact. If Guyanno was indeed lost, then she had to save her children. She needed to get them out of the Blazelands.

Wyland fell to one knee, and was eye to eye with Zephyra. “My name is Wyland.”

“Hello,” Zephyra said.

“You have your mother’s beauty,” Wyland said, brushing a thumb across Zephyra’s cheek. Gale cringed, but stayed silent.

“Where is my father?”

“And her curiosity,” Wyland said with a chuckle. “Your father is on an important mission. But you are safe here until he returns, and I’ll make especially sure you stay safe.”

Zephyra just stared at him with wide eyes. She was too young to smell his filth.

“We will be friends, young Zephyra.”

Gale wanted to cry out at that. The only option was to appeal to the others in the room. She turned her head and looked at Alheena and Skalla, still sitting at the table watching the scene unfold. Gale let them see the sadness and anger in her eyes over Wyland’s interaction with her baby girl. Skalla was a mother, easy enough to bring to her senses. And if Alheena was indeed forced upon, she had to understand Gale’s misgivings, just as a woman. The two Antrums looked at each other and agreed in silence. They stood up.

“Wyland,” Skalla said. “I think it is time to go.”

The mage rose to his feet and turned away from Zephyra. He began walking back to the two ladies, but first stopped just next to Gale. They both turned their necks and looked into each other’s eyes.

“You wouldn’t want your daughter to watch Guyanno’s fate, would you?” he asked softly enough so Zephyra couldn’t hear him. Gale just shook her head, the tears reforming in her eyes.

“Very well,” Wyland said. “I will see if the Greatmage will allow me to bring Zephyra with us to Scorchfort before the condemnation rather than after.”

He kept walking, now with a newfound confidence and superiority. The ladies stared at Gale for a moment, saw the air and the hope escape from her all in one instant. Yet they couldn’t say a thing. And Gale knew that. She watched them leave, and that was all she could do.

“Mama?” Zephyra asked again. “Who were those ladies?”

Gale brought her hand to her face, shoving her tears away and collecting herself as best she could before turning around and mustering the best smile possible under the circumstances. She walked over to her daughter and got on her knees, pulling her in and squeezing her with all her might.

I love you, I love you, I love you,” Gale said into Zephyra’s ear.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

Gale stood up and put her arm on her daughter’s shoulder, leading her into the main room, passing the table and moving towards the bearskin rug in front of the fire. She sat on it, taking Zephyra’s hand, imploring her to seat herself.

“Come sit with me here,” Gale told her. “There are some things I need to tell you.”



© 2013 Andrew Frame


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on July 21, 2013


Author

Andrew Frame
Andrew Frame

Bellmawr, NJ



About
My writing preference is in the fantasy genre, but I'll try my hand at anything, and I'll read anything that's captivating enough. I appreciate anyone and everyone that takes an interest in my writing.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Andrew Frame