Understanding

Understanding

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Short, Short Story

"
Laura's eyes are shining.
She laughs softly.
“I read somewhere that laughter is close to crying”
“Yeah?”
“Like now,” she wipes her eyes with the back of her hand, “crying with laughter”.
She pauses to blow her nose before continuing.
“Stupid memories...” Laura trails off as she tries and fails to throw her scrunched up tissues into a bin on the far side of the room.  “It was funny though wasn’t it?”
There’s another pause in the conversation until she looks up prompting a reply.
“Yeah, it was funny, the way your mum was looking around. She was so confused”.
Laura's laugh returns.
“She asked me who I was talking to and I said, ‘There’s only the three of us in here… me, myself and I.’”
“Then she asked you which one you were talking to…”
“I was talking to myself.”
“You really should try to kick that habit.”
Laura's grin broadens as she turns to the emptiness beside her.
“You know I can’t. You’re the only one that understands.”

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
I appreciate ANY feedback. Thanks! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so wonderful. I truly believe that a person's best friend and the most confidential confidant is your own self. I like the way you began the story by misleading the reader into thinking that there was actually someone else in the room. The fact that she was able to laugh so much and make it appear to be so real is just proof of how real and true her internal friend was to her. You really accomplished a lot in just a few lines. I really enjoyed reading this. Great job. Stay inspired.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, this is simply brilliant. Or maybe complexly brilliant. Great twist.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting story which can be interpreted in different ways. Psychological...Despair...hope...even psychological horror too. Loved the theme and the smooth flow of the story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow! A kicker at end. A commendable conclusion.

Who can understand us, better than our soul?

The fluidity of the story, is also very great, it appeals the reader to read more. I think, this story could have been extended.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Warmest regards,
Devanshu

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have done an amazing job in such a compact piece. Brevity is not my strong suit (even my review by now is almost exceeding the length of your story). Good use of dialogue. Exquisite use of detail. I almost feel you've got some cloaks and mirrors here, leading the reader to a surprise ending. What I like very much about the piece is the lack of explanation at the end, which adds to the intrigue -- is this a creepy piece, is it just a tenderly poignant piece? A nice question to leave with the reader to ponder. Of course most writers can identify deeply with the sentiments expressed. Laughing to myself has often gotten me in trouble. However, I don't like it when I argue with myself! Good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


It's cute. I like it. Captures a still from the average relationship that I think we can all relate to.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Oh, I can soooo relate to this! Well written. I saw no errors.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Awesome , really awesome. We all do it but appreciate that you wrote it in such a beautiful way

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is amazing and creepy! Delightful though. I totally understand being alone and also talking to myself. I have voices talk back, maybe they are her own voices too in her subconscious ness? I am fearful and also attracted eerily to this story and anything that has to do with insanity. It's painful to watch, and unless you're in pain that you wanted to express, I'd like to instead see writing from you about the beauty in life instead, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Or at least the beauty in darkness if you must.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Indeed I do understand now. They say to always keep good company. This brings up a good point in my opinion. Even if a person is their own good company at least it's good company. I'd rather that than any bad. Even if she looks crazy to some at least she UNDERSTANDS herself. Many people no matter how successful do NOT understand themselves. Laura may have a s****y job but at least she has Me, Myself and I. Priceless.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love this short one. I enjoyed it a lot.
"she turns to the emptiness beside her" Superb! totally unexpected which makes it all the more brilliant.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2025 Views
43 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 29, 2015
Last Updated on March 29, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Red Roses Red Roses

A Story by Woody