WHAT THE PARROT SAW

WHAT THE PARROT SAW

A Story by Stan Lee
"

*Contains Swearing*

"

"F**k" said the parrot. 


It has learned a new word. The parrot is sitting on top of a refrigerator dancing from one foot to the other and cocking it's head to survey the scene below. It is a small unremarkable kitchen in normal circumstances but now there is a melee of tipped up furniture, broken crockery and a body lying spreadeagled on the linoleum floor. The stench of alcohol is thick in the air. The fridge hums peacefully as though nothing is wrong.


The parrot ruffles it's feathers and watches as the body slowly untangles and sits up.


"I hate you, you filthy bird".


The parrot remains silent, it's beady eyes fixed on the man as he staggers to his feet.


"They say I'm dangerous when I'm drunk." The man lets out a cracked laugh. " You should've stayed in your cage. I hate you. I've always hated you and now I'm going to kill you. She loves you filthy bird. She'll leave me for good this time but I don't care  anymore."


Then there is a knife in his hand. He weaves his way unsteadily across the kitchen slipping on broken glass and tripping on an empty bird cage.  He falls again making such a racket that the parrot shrieks and swoops to the windowsill on the far side of kitchen.


The man stumbles to his feet again, knife raised at shoulder height. The parrot screams and glass smashes. The man topples forward from the momentum of his throw. Face first into the shrapnel of his battle. He stays down.


"F**k" said the parrot and it hopped carefully out of the broken window and flew away into the open sky.

 

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
ANY feedback is appreciated!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

How can you not click on a title like that?
All capslock and inviting. What the Parrot Saw. Come on, I couldn't hope to resist it.

Well written.
I expected a twist or something in the end, but I guess sometime it's not really needed.
Good job Adronicus.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Ha, from now on I'll have to do all my titles in capslock. :) Thanks so much for reading and reviewi.. read more
Clever, dark little right. The stumbling around described with amazing detail, somehow making it somewhat humorous.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing S.Mi. Glad you saw the humor in this one. :)
Go the parrot! I'm guessing the parrot witnessed a messy break-up resulting in that man's outburst, hence picking up the word 'f**k'?
Very amusing indeed

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

I see you are a very insightful reader Josiah! Thank you so much for your encouraging review. It's m.. read more
-inactive now-

8 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
I hope that girl flies away from him, just as the parrot did!
The imagery is strong and effortessly clear.
For the most part I thought that the parrot has witnessed a forceful abuse but after the man's dialogues I am not quite sure.
Short and an interesting read.
I enjoyed it!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Jyoti. I'm glad you enjoyed my story. It's open to your interpretation, you're mea.. read more
Jyoti_Ablaze

8 Years Ago

Oh it definitely served it's purpose then! You are very welcome!
And I wish you a Happy new y.. read more
Oh, the bird got away. I just don't understand how anyone can have affection for birds. It's a prejudice I have. I know, it speaks little of me. Don't get me started on snakes and tarantulas.

Good story. It's as long as it needs to be. Very good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Oh, I'll bear that in mind. Never leave you alone in the house with my pet parrot (not that I actual.. read more
Ha, vengeance is served. Lovely touches of imagery added, ruffles his feathers and watches as the body slowly entangles. Little touches like that make this a most enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Glad that you found my story enjoyable. Thanks for taking the time to read and review. :)
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome Andronicus.
This gave me the chuckle I needed. Nice story love :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Shae. Glad to hear my story made you laugh. :)
Love this story, the first line is a great opener! I'm glad the parrot got away. I hope 'she' gets away, too!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

:) I love the first line too! It came to me one morning and then I spent the rest of the day figurin.. read more
Viv Wade

8 Years Ago

Glad to hear it! If only life was like that, only stories with happy endings :)
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Ikr... if only. But hey, here we can dream whatever we like. Keep smiling. :)
This made me smile and laugh and yet it speaks of some very serious issues. A black comedy and a really good one. Awesome!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

A black comedy - yes that describes the story very well...
Thanks so much Kirk. I really app.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1252 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2015
Last Updated on September 21, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sparks Sparks

A Poem by Firebird