WHAT THE PARROT SAW

WHAT THE PARROT SAW

A Story by Stan Lee
"

*Contains Swearing*

"

"F**k" said the parrot. 


It has learned a new word. The parrot is sitting on top of a refrigerator dancing from one foot to the other and cocking it's head to survey the scene below. It is a small unremarkable kitchen in normal circumstances but now there is a melee of tipped up furniture, broken crockery and a body lying spreadeagled on the linoleum floor. The stench of alcohol is thick in the air. The fridge hums peacefully as though nothing is wrong.


The parrot ruffles it's feathers and watches as the body slowly untangles and sits up.


"I hate you, you filthy bird".


The parrot remains silent, it's beady eyes fixed on the man as he staggers to his feet.


"They say I'm dangerous when I'm drunk." The man lets out a cracked laugh. " You should've stayed in your cage. I hate you. I've always hated you and now I'm going to kill you. She loves you filthy bird. She'll leave me for good this time but I don't care  anymore."


Then there is a knife in his hand. He weaves his way unsteadily across the kitchen slipping on broken glass and tripping on an empty bird cage.  He falls again making such a racket that the parrot shrieks and swoops to the windowsill on the far side of kitchen.


The man stumbles to his feet again, knife raised at shoulder height. The parrot screams and glass smashes. The man topples forward from the momentum of his throw. Face first into the shrapnel of his battle. He stays down.


"F**k" said the parrot and it hopped carefully out of the broken window and flew away into the open sky.

 

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
ANY feedback is appreciated!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Always a consequence for our actions. Glad the parrot flew free and the drunk got his just desserts.

Beccy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read and review.
Okay well I LOVE parrots anyway so it is safe to say that even if it wasn't as humorously entertaining and well written as it is, i would like it ;) thanks for a great short story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Lily. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Well, the first four words made me laugh! I'll critique as I read. Interesting POV and great description of the kitchen. I got stuck momentarily on the olfactory sensation winding up as a "cloud" which seems mostly visual (for me). Would "fog" work better? I don't know. Also can parrots smell? I love the image of the refrigerator just purring along. Nitpicky thing -- but can you "stagger" to your feet or is "staggering" something done once you are on your feet. Maybe that doesn't matter. So enough with the nitpicking -- really, really well done piece. I love the message and the triumph of that wise old bird! Again, another concise piece that packs a delightful wallop. I could learn a lot from you. Many thanks.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the constructive feedback Taylor. You're right about the cloud.. it's a bit OTT.. I'll ch.. read more
Taylor

8 Years Ago

Sounds like you speak from experience -- hope you weren't the poor soul spreadeagle on the kitchen f.. read more
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

NO! Lol! This was pure imagination working here! I definitely don't speak from experience! :D
agreed very creative. you painted it well

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Leftwriter :)
That was so creative and unique and hilarious too! Good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Vernika. I'm glad you got a laugh from my story. :) This one was fun to write too. The first .. read more
Well, it takes quite an imagination to come up with something like this! And with such a happy ending (though I fear that a domesticated bird won't last long in the great outdoors; however, in this case, longer than indoors). Not surprised that Woody found his way here!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your feedback. I had to laugh about the parrot not lasting long in the great outdoors... .. read more
hahaha "as though nothing is wrong". love your sense of humour. F**k, I haven't seen many like this one :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much Woody!!!
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

I seriously appreciate your feedback.. plus i've just been reading your stories.. love them! Great s.. read more
Woody

8 Years Ago

you're most welcome. really loved it.

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1252 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2015
Last Updated on September 21, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Walkabout Walkabout

A Story by Stan Lee