The Cold Walk to Work

The Cold Walk to Work

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Short Story

"

“Connor said yesterday it was cold enough to kill”.


“I can’t say I entirely disagree”.


“Same here” Laura laughed.


It was one of those mornings when even coats and beanies don’t keep out the cold. The air stings your nostrils and makes your eyes water. Cars drive by and exhaust comes out in clouds like a kids cartoon.


“I’m sure the cold would have been awful for him,” Laura snorted, “driving along in his nicely heated car to work. Should try walking” she trudged on in silence before continuing, “Yeah I can think of a few things to kill”.


“Hmmm… no I don’t think it’s that cold”.


She smiled, “You’re right… I don’t think I’d get away with it”.


“At least the sun is shining”.


That comment made her laugh out loud. “Always the optimist! It’s negative 2 degrees, walking to work �" a job that I hate and you say at least the sun is shining. Can you think of any other optimistic things to say?”


There was no reply. Laura looked up prompting a response but there was none.


“There’s one thing about this weather…” she trailed off.


“What?”


“Well, when the cold makes clouds come out your mouth like this it’s kinda hard to disguise the fact that I’m talking to myself”.

 

© 2015 Stan Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found your first Laura story!

I was confused by the ending, because I could have sworn the other "person's" name was used, but then I went back, and nope, just Laura. Once I got realized . . . The exchange between the "two" was very enjoyable and lifelike, and the twist is done very well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I have a ton of stories that need to be edited, but I never have the ambition to actually fix them. .. read more
Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Agree. Onward and upward I say! Let's have some new Clifford stories! :)
Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Haha, I'll see what I can do.
this story in interesting because it shows pretty well the internal monologue of people. sorta like "oh this observation, yeah and this observation, maybe i should do this, or maybe not," and back-and-forth thoughts like that. it's pretty funny, and it's funny how it ends too. people are so quirky sometimes. good story, Andronicus :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

My stories have a lot of internal monologue I think. I'm glad you think it's funny. So did the main .. read more
Your writing of Laura has gotten both more subtle and tighter since this one. Excellent twist, for certain.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks S.Mi. I'm glad you liked the twist. Agreed some of my writes don't flow as well as others but.. read more
Shannon

8 Years Ago

It is by no means poorly done. I can see a progress, if they were viewed in order!
ha, love it. And yes, it is. I stay in cold a*s central, so take it from me it's true. Minus two is a mild autumn day here. But when i's minus two, most people talk to themselves, even if it is just to complain about the weather. Nice write my friend. Liked the fun end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

lol. I know it's true. So glad you could relate to my story in some way and liked it. :) Thanks for .. read more
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome.
I took this in many ways. Initially when I read I wanted to laugh at the end but was unsure if it was meant to be funny. I couldn't tell if there were 2 characters communicating so I re-read the story. And when I did... the ending made me think she had been talking to herself the WHOLE time which scared me forreal! Someone give her a ride!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Stan Lee

9 Years Ago

lol.. yah it happens...
My story Understanding probably explains it a bit better...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2015
Last Updated on May 14, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee