Inspiration on Tap

Inspiration on Tap

A Story by Stan Lee
"

Short Story

"

 

I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I forced my way through the tangle of undergrowth; a metallic gleam. I fairly threw myself towards the golden glow and tore away with my bare hands at the thistles and flotsam that grew all around it. I had found the tap.

 

Upon freeing the tap from it's bushy hideout I sat back on my knees to admire my discovery. It was a plain tap in every way; a single copper pipe sticking up out of the ground with a standard brass head. There was nothing to suggest that this was not an ordinary tap and nothing to suggest that this was indeed the tap that I had been searching for over the last four years. Somehow though, I knew it was the one.

 

I thought back to my grandmothers words. All the years we spent together, writing stories together and wandering in this garden for inspiration. Then just before she left us she told me, “There’s a tap in my garden Honey. Find it if you can because it is a tap of knowledge.”  Remembering those words made my heart start to pound. Here it was! The tap of knowledge!

 

It dawned on me then that through all my years of searching this four acre property I had never wondered what I’d do next. “Now I’ve found it, what do I do?” I asked myself aloud. My words sounded weird in the quietness of the bush. It was midday and even the birds were resting quietly. The sun beat down relentlessly and made me feel dizzy and breathless. 

 

Keeping my eye on the tap lest it mystically disappeared, I took a long drink from my camelback and decided that the logical thing would be to turn it on. This I discovered was more difficult than it looked. Eventually though, using both hands and my handkerchief for grip, I managed to turn the handle. The tap seemed to pause and burp for effect before spluttering out a stream of rusty orange liquid. I watched the water soaking into the earth below and shortly it ran clear and sparkling.

 

"What's meant to happen next?" I wondered. A knot of disappointment gathered in my stomach. "Maybe the others were right all along. Maybe she was talking nonsense. ...Or maybe I'm meant to drink the water... what if I was meant to drink the first drop that came out? It's too late for that now..."

 

"Help me Grandma."

 

At that moment, as clear as a bell, I heard her voice. “Need inspiration? Start to write. You can’t expect water to flow unless you first turn on the tap."

 

So that dear reader is exactly what I have done.

 

 

© 2015 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
"Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow."
— Louis L’Amour

Appreciate any feedback! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is well written and brilliant. Granny knew...they always do.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

How do Grandmas know so much? It's amazing! Thanks for reading & reviewing. :)
Marvelous. Probably the best "writing inspiration" story that I've read. Instead of lamenting the lack of inspiration, you take advice and make a story out of it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

lol, and I really need to start taking my own advice and get some more stories happening! Thanks a l.. read more
A magic tap that takes us to the beginning of every story that will ever be written. It's a glorious intro to each one, Andronicus.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading my story S.Mi :)
I like it! It happened to me a couple of years ago! I got a bit high and 'the tap' was turned on and its still running. I like how you greated a bit of mystery and then all is revealed.
You might like to look at my poem 'manicarus' describing what it was like for me.
Well done.
Alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your review Alan. I'm glad you like it :)
and lo and behold! you've come up with something original and magic. another little gem, Andrea. you're the master of flash fiction :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Ah Woody, Thank you so much for your encouragement. You're too kind.
I wrote this many moon.. read more
Very nice story and it says the truth that first we should start writing something and then the ideas will eventually come.......well done...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing my story Riddhi. Glad you liked it. :)
So much enjoyed this wonderfully unique story; and how very true your words ring.

The mind is the biggest reservoir in the world.


Beccy.



Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

You're right there Beccy. Exercise your mind and great things will follow. Glad you enjoyed it. Than.. read more
Great symbolic story. Thanks for writing it. Sometimes, though, if feels more like regurgitation. Too much college.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

What feels like regurgitation? Very happy to hear you liked my story. Thanks for taking the time to .. read more
Robert Parlange

8 Years Ago

In college we had these things called “blue books.” They were small composition books that were .. read more
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Oh, I see what you mean now...writing feels like regurgitation sometimes...?
:P Wonderful. Inspiration within inspiration. A story written by inspiration, for inspiration. Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing! I really appreciate you taking the time. Inspiration from an inspi.. read more
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

it worked very well. An original piece written wonderfully.
Just a charmingly good read. A piece of coal pressed into a diamond. You also managed to brighten my day.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Well; ReverieJones! First and foremost I am extremely pleased to hear that your day was brightened b.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

638 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on August 21, 2015

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..