Over-achieving

Over-achieving

A Story by Stan Lee
"

A huge thank you to Woody who helped me out with the dialogue. :) http://www.writerscafe.org/Engluva <-----------Check his writing too. THANKS WOODY!!!

"


He winked at me from across the bar.


I quickly looked away but I couldn't stop a tiny smile from twitching the corners of my lips.

He was everything a girl could ever want. Easily six foot four, tanned, toned, easy smile, nicely dressed.


I watched from the corner of my eye, as he got up and walked over.


"Hey, I haven't seen you before." He said.


I blushed and lowered my eyes. I shouldn't have. I knew that would turn him on but I couldn't help it. It was my character. It was also my character to bite my lower lip and reply with a smile that would drive him crazy.


“It’s my first time here,” I said, tracing circles around the rim of my glass with my ring finger.


“Can I join you? Oh, sorry, my name’s Jim Cruise. No relation to the actor Jim Carrey.”


“Jim…,” I started then burst out laughing. “That’s a good one.”


“You know what they say, make a girl laugh and she’s half won.”


I blushed gently and fingered my necklace.


“Can I top up your drink?” Jim asked with a raised eyebrow.


"Man! Pull yourself together - this isn't meant to happen" I thought. “No, thanks." I replied."I must tell you, I’m waiting for my friend. He should be here any minute.”


His shoulders sagged."Can I at least ask your name?"


"Of course," I said, boldly looking into his brown eyes. "My name's Alex."


"Nice. Alex, hopefully we'll see you around here again sometime. Nice meeting you!"


With that, he turned around and left. 


I watched him walk away. With a sigh, I went back to sipping my drink. My wife was right. I'd done way too well with the costume tonight.

 

 

 

© 2016 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY Feedback! :)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

YES! I love that twist! This whole story is great, especially the subtle body language. I could picture the scene and get a feel for what the characters are thinking. The narrator having a unisex name is brilliant, and it adds to that final twist. In hindsight, the narrator's actions all have different meanings. Instead of being a hesitant but excited woman, he's an over-achieving man finding humor in deceiving someone with his costume, yet realizes he shouldn't be toying with someone like how he is. I just love everything about this story.

The one suggestion I have is to put the narrator's thoughts in italics, or inside of one quote ' instead of two ". I initially thought Alex was speaking out loud and only realized afterward it was a thought.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Oh, wow what a giggle this one is. I can't help but wonder how he ended up playing this character. Lost bet? Some sort of game?
Cute and really well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Probably just a cross-dresser. Not at all uncommon in certain neighborhoods. I'm glad you got a gigg.. read more
hilarious!! i like all the details about what the narrator does at each moment. great set-up for the ending too! you did too good with the writing because i thought the narrator was a girl too.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for reviewing. :) Glad you liked it. Did you think the ending was too kinky? Do you hav.. read more
PaintedBirdy

7 Years Ago

i wouldn't change a thing. honestly, i wouldn't. if you forced me though (smile), i'd say maybe take.. read more
This is well done, as usual. I of course was not expecting the ending. I wonder if somewhere there could be a framing that would give a context for a costume. Otherwise, it feels a bit kinky for the guy to be in drag. So was it Halloween at the bar?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

There is actually a tiny little bit of framing... Alex makes reference to his "character" (essential.. read more
my pleasure entirely, Andronicus. a minor contribution really.
no long-winded tales wth you. short but sweet.
the ending is an absolute kicker :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

That probably has to do with me being to lazy more than anything else but I'm super happy that you l.. read more
Woody

8 Years Ago

you're welcome, Dear :)))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
5 Reviews
Added on January 16, 2016
Last Updated on January 17, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee