A Type of Story

A Type of Story

A Story by Stan Lee
"

short story

"

Laura sat at the café with her new friend. He was incredibly insightful, which was something that Laura both admired and was a little afraid of. He was the sort of person who says, “I don’t think I’ll ever understand you” and then in the same breath diagnoses you as a type ISFJ.


This incidentally is exactly what he had just done, causing Laura to give a terse laugh. She set down her milkshake with a smile.


“You know I’d love to say that you’re wrong,” she said. “I’d love to say that you got all four letters wrong. But you didn’t. You got all four letters right and I think I know what happens next. I’m no ethnographer but I’m pretty sure I’ve met people like you before. Now that you’ve figured me out you’ll get bored, walk out of my life and I’ll never hear from you again.”


Her friend didn’t reply, he simply leaned in closer, more curious than ever.


“I think I know this story,” Laura continued. “I’ve read it before. The ending sucks.”


He laughed at that.


“You don’t know for sure how the story ends,” he says.


“True, I don’t know for absolute certain, but you’re an ENTJ type and I’m an ISFJ type. ISFJs don’t like it when people just walk out of their lives like nothing happened.”


“Nothing did happen,” he says.


She sighs.


“You’re right,” she says. “Nothing happened.”

© 2017 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY feedback :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

He seems pretty arrogant anyway, Laura can do soooo much better.

But I hear her resignation, in this piece. The last two lines are brilliantly concise and speak volumes.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Laughing my head off right now. Thank you so much S.Mi. Really enjoy you dropping by and leaving you.. read more
PaintedBirdy

7 Years Ago

outrageous! he's clearly infatuated with Laura! a list of reasons why he loves Laura:

.. read more
i can't stop smiling while i read this :) particularly because this story seems so familiar to someone i've just met. i think i'm like the friend in this story, but i've never been bored and i've never walked out of someone's life to never be heard from again. the friend seems reckless, making assumptions that he knows who Laura is. he's kinda wacky, in my opinion. but he's seems rather lovable too. perhaps that's why Laura is worried.

that's what i interpret her to be: worried. it kinda sucks how people have to take a leap of faith to really understand people, right? what if the friend just wanted Laura to laugh and be happy? why would he do that? why? why her? strangely, i'm reminded of the song Pepper by Butthole Surfers, the lyrics are something like "you never know just how you look in other people's eyes." that's what this story reminds me of. i love it, Andronicus!

she set down her milkshake because she liked that someone 'saw' her, and liked her, and she was taken back because she didn't expect it. i don't think Laura EVER met anyone like her friend before. :) i hope something happens, like a part 2 to this story :)

(leans in closer because i'm curious - and gives a laugh - having no idea what the ending is like. not even sure i believe in 'endings'. isn't it a bit scary how so many things happened in this story but nothing really DID happen? i think i'd be a little worried if a girl understood me this well, but i'd also be flattered that she took the time to look)

Posted 7 Years Ago


PaintedBirdy

7 Years Ago

that is very interesting to me. i suppose he is a smarty pants, but he seems like a boy. perhaps he'.. read more
Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

You are right :) To which I say again, we shall see! I think you have given me a lot of food for tho.. read more
PaintedBirdy

7 Years Ago

i like how you say "we shall see," because it implies both of us :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 15, 2016
Last Updated on January 9, 2017

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee