Hunger for Life

Hunger for Life

A Chapter by Andy Marr
"

Prologue

"

It’s a warm, summer afternoon and I’m standing outside an enormous stone building that I will later learn is the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. I’ve never seen such a huge building before and can hardly believe the number of windows and doors that line its vast, turreted façade. There’s a cut-grass smell in the air. Birds are singing in the branches of the giant oaks that line the street I’m standing on. I close my eyes for a moment, feel the sun’s warmth against my cheeks, then look up at Dad, who’s waiting patiently for me to finish taking in the scene. ‘Ready?’ he says. I nod my head. He ruffles a hand through my hair, touches my shoulder, and together we walk across the street and into the hospital building.

 

When we reach the ward, I see Mum sitting on a bed with a little bundle of blankets at her breast. She smiles broadly as I scamper over to her. ‘Look, baba,’ she says, moving the little bundle down towards me. ‘You have a little sister.’ I stand on my tiptoes to gaze into the blankets and a tiny little face looks back at me. I’m amazed; I had no idea they made people so small. Mum smiles and pats the bed next to her. ‘Come on up,’ she says. I’m too small to climb all that way, but Dad’s there to help me. He lifts me onto the mattress and I bounce over towards Mum, desperate for another look at my sister. ‘Would you like to hold her?’ Mum asks. I nod so hard that my neck starts to hurt.

 

Mum makes me scoot up against the pillow and places the baby next to me on the bed. I place a gentle hand on her chest, and then look at Mum and Dad to check I’ve done everything right. Dad smiles. So does Mum. ‘Oh my, what a wonderful big brother you are!’ she says. My chest swells with pride.

 

‘Can you remember her name?’ Dad asks.

 

I scrunch up my face, searching for the name I’ve forgotten ten times already. Mum and Dad laugh. ‘It’s Emma,’ Dad says. ‘Can you say Emma?’

 

I look down once more at the little bundle, sleeping softly against my leg. She’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. ‘Emma,’ I say.

 

Soon, my head begins to drop, and before I know it I am being shaken awake my Mum. I prise open my eyes and find myself cheek against cheek with Emma. I smile as I gaze into her face. Mum strokes my face and says, ‘Time for you and Daddy to go home, sweetheart.’

 

I throw out my bottom lip, let it wobble a little. ‘My want to stay bit longer.’ But visiting time is over. Dad picks me up off the bed and plops me on the floor next to my shoes. ‘Baby!’ I say, starting to cry.

 

‘Don’t worry, James,’ Mum says. ‘Emma will be home with Mummy tomorrow. After that you can spend the whole rest of your lives together.’

 

I consider this. A whole lifetime together? It’s a lovely thought. It’s lovely enough even to stop me crying. I walk over to the bed and stand on my tiptoes, plant a kiss on Emma’s face. See you tomorrow, I think. And every day after that, forever and ever.

 

Forever and ever. It’s a long, long time.

 

I cannot wait for it to start.



© 2021 Andy Marr


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Reading this left a warm feeling in my heart. All I could think and say was "Awwwww". So sweet and gentle.
Even though this is something anyone could have experienced, the fact of having to read it from another and with the words used just makes it that more special.

Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Reading this left a warm feeling in my heart. All I could think and say was "Awwwww". So sweet and gentle.
Even though this is something anyone could have experienced, the fact of having to read it from another and with the words used just makes it that more special.

Thank you for sharing :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

680 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2017
Last Updated on June 7, 2021
Tags: anorexia, eating disorder, family, hospital, ani, ed


Author

Andy Marr
Andy Marr

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom



About
My novel, 'Hunger for Life', is a family and relationship drama set in Myreton, a small fictional village on the east coast of Scotland. My second, untitled, novel is currently in progress. A sequel t.. more..

Writing
Hunger for Life Hunger for Life

A Chapter by Andy Marr